Starting a new thread... Elizabeth Warren was in my home state of Iowa this weekend. The caucuses are always interesting. I have been a Republican most of my life, and an independent much more than a Democrat. That all changed in 2016. 2020 will be my first caucus as a Democrat. The process is quite different and I am excited to check it out in about one year.

In the meantime, I want to support the candidate that has the best chance to defeat Trump. Is that Warren, O'Rourke, someone else. Biden is awfully old. Iowa wields way too much power in this process. Influence me to get your share of that power!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A. Excellent Wilco reference.

B. This seems an especially ripe area for sociological/political science study. I head a story today about how Doug Jones had fake news and planted, obviously fake Russian bot profiles pushing for Roy Moore. Unfortunately this trash is not only a GOP thing. It makes sense that many people breeze past it, but there's still a lot there (especially 2016) that's hard to know or measure.

Never ever give up. Don't give up. Don't allow it to happen. If there's a CONCRETE WALL in front of you, go through it, go over it, go around it. but get to the other side of that wall. 

I saw that clip last night on the Daily Show -- haven't watched that show in years, forgot how funny and on-point it could be....

Never ever give up. Don't give up. Don't allow it to happen. If there's a CONCRETE WALL in front of you, go through it, go over it, go around it. but get to the other side of that wall. 

As funny as that is, clearly the person who wrote the the speech for him intended it as a metaphor.  Everyone knows you can't get over real walls.  

Can someone explain to me why Trump, and the Senate and the previously GOP-controlled House didn't legislate the Wall funding in his first two years?

Make hay while the sun shines!

Earlier this fall, I had a shitload of leaves to rake, and a snowstorm a'comin. I knew if the snowstorm hit, and the leaves were still there, I'd be fucked. So, I raked that motherfucker! Can I be the new Joe Plumber? Asking simple questions from a simple mind?

Were they afraid it wouldn't have passed the Senate vote?

They were afraid it would have, because they know in politics it's a better strategy to say "they took something away from you" than to say "we got this done."

Once you get something done, people expect you to get more things done.  And that's a noose.  So it's a question of do you want to put a noose on yourself, or on the other guys?

Another great article from Glenn Greenwald ringing the alarm about the shift of the Democrat party to the right...

"All of this has resulted in a new generation of Democrats, politically engaged for the first time as a result of fears over Trump, being inculcated with values of militarism and imperialism, trained to view once-discredited, war-loving neocons such as Bill Kristol, Max Boot and David Frum and former CIA and FBI leaders as noble experts and trusted voices of conscience. It’s inevitable that all of these trends would produce a party that is increasingly pro-war and militaristic, and polling data now leaves little doubt that this transformation – which will endure long after Trump is gone – is well under way."

"This is, of course, not the first time that Democratic voters have wildly shifted their “beliefs” based on the party affiliation of the person occupying the Oval Office. The party’s base spent the Bush-Cheney years denouncing war on terror policies, such as assassinations, drones, and Guantánamo as moral atrocities and war crimes, only to suddenly support those policies once they became hallmarks of the Obama presidency."

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/11/as-democratic-elites-reunite-with-neocons-the-partys-voters-are-becoming-far-more-militaristic-and-pro-war-than-republicans/

• 1 month later...

So who's more crazy - Trump or Ann Coulter? I try not to follow the news closely these days because it's just not good for my mental health. However, I noticed a story about Coulter attacking Trump and his supporters like a rabid dog. Or at least that's the way I read it. What the hell is going on? 

I hate Ann Coulter, but if she's ragging on Individual 1 that might mean a shift in his base which is great.

I think I said it before (maybe biannually) but holy shit, what a time to be a legal scholar. This emergency declaration is going to play out in court and it's got tremendous civic and constitutional implications. And a legal scholar I am not, but I feel that the semantics of the word "emergency" should come in to play. To me the word contains some sense of something new happening. As in, you can't have a decades old emergency. Our situation at the border is decades old.

So the Mueller Probe is set up wrap soon:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/politics/special-counsel-conclusion-announcement/index.html

So what if Mueller comes out and says, "we did a full investigation and we have caught who we caught but there is no evidence of wrong doing by the President and his inner circle."

I do think this is a likely scenario.  I can't imagine what the left will say after hanging all hope that Mueller will bring POTUS down.  And the right who sees Mueller as illegitimate and a secret deep state democrat.  

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/politics/special-counsel-conclusion-announcement/index.html

So what if Mueller comes out and says, "we did a full investigation and we have caught who we caught but there is no evidence of wrong doing by the President and his inner circle."

I do think this is a likely scenario.  I can't imagine what the left will say after hanging all hope that Mueller will bring POTUS down.  And the right who sees Mueller as illegitimate and a secret deep state democrat.  

Al Capone didn't go down for all the murders and bootlegging, ultimately it was tax evasion.  The SDNY will take care of Trump and his thieving kids.  

I do think this is a very real possibility, and I am prepared to accept that.  And if that's the case I think it would be foolish for House Dems to pursue impeachment without clear evidence.  That doesn't mean they give up on oversight hearings or trying to flush out anything that may have been withheld from Mueller's report... but the emphasis should be on 2020 now.