So the Mueller Testimony.  I don't think we learned much, but it was interesting to understand some the reasoning and thoughts.  

What worries me through this whole thing is this.  It has been proven by Mueller and many others that the Russians tried and successfully interfered with our election in 2016.  Whether there was a coordinated effort or collusion and by whom is a matter of interpretation and opinion.  While congress, the media and the American public seemingly want to point fingers and blame each other.  But the long and short of it a foreign entity meddled in our election.  This is beyond troubling and because of need to blame and deflect we have done nothing to stop it from happening again.  

It is clear that there is a winner in this, it is Vlad.  

The Russians have always been interfering in out elections - or at least trying to - as has been every other rival foreign power.  Been going on as long as there have been elections.  This is nothing new. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Russians have always been interfering in out elections - or at least trying to - as has been every other rival foreign power.  Been going on as long as there have been elections.  This is nothing new. 

Oh ok, so we should let them go ahead and continue and fight between ourselves pointing fingers?  Every post about the Muller report here is who it was good for Trump or the Dems.  My contention is, sure the Russians may have meddled in the past, but in 2016 and 2018 we have verified proof  This is a thing that happened, we know it happened.  This is a big f ing deal.  We have an election in about 15 months.  We have zero plan on how to stop this or preventing it.  Russia has received no consequences for doing this.  But hey, lets all Monday morning QB this bullshit and see whose side it was better for.

Oh ok, so we should let them go ahead and continue and fight between ourselves pointing fingers?  Every post about the Muller report here is who it was good for Trump or the Dems.  My contention is, sure the Russians may have meddled in the past, but in 2016 and 2018 we have verified proof  This is a thing that happened, we know it happened.  This is a big f ing deal.  We have an election in about 15 months.  We have zero plan on how to stop this or preventing it.  Russia has received no consequences for doing this.  But hey, lets all Monday morning QB this bullshit and see whose side it was better for.

And Ol' Mitch McConnell is actively blocking legislation to protect our elections. Then to deflect criticism as McCarthyism? WHAT? Everything is upside down when the GOP goes soft on Russia and then calls people McCarthyists for calling them out. Ronald Reagan's ghost is hopefully haunting McConnell every night.

And Ol' Mitch McConnell is actively blocking legislation to protect our elections. Then to deflect criticism as McCarthyism? WHAT? Everything is upside down when the GOP goes soft on Russia and then calls people McCarthyists for calling them out. Ronald Reagan's ghost is hopefully haunting McConnell every night.

It is funny, when Hillary Clinton said she was under fire when she landed in Bosnia it nearly (and to some extent did) torpedo her political life.   

Now Trump when claims he was down helping first responders after 9/11, it gets little mention, maybe a few memes, but again nothing comes of it.  

We live in a post truth world.  I know that politicians lie and stretch the truth, but I don't think there has ever been one that has done it so blatantly and with such frequency as Trump.  And the thing is, no one really cares anymore.  

Now that the latest round of debates are over, I'm calling Warren as the decisive winner, and I think she demonstrated that she would be the most effective opponent against Trump.

Biden was repeatedly on the ropes after some softball challenges.  Trump is going to eat him alive.

Harris's delivery is too monotone to inspire the enthusiasm it's going to take to rally voters.  You can barely hear what she's saying much of the time, and that definitely won't play well in debates against Trump.  Delivery matters.  Her delivery is well suited for committee hearings, but doesn't work on the debate or national campaign stage.    

Beto is an empty suit.  If he wants to be president, he should go back to the house or senate for a decade and try again.

CNN should be ashamed of itself for their Monday NIght Raw-esque opening segment.

Now that the latest round of debates are over, I'm calling Warren as the decisive winner, and I think she demonstrated that she would be the most effective opponent against Trump.

Biden was repeatedly on the ropes after some softball challenges.  Trump is going to eat him alive.

Harris's delivery is too monotone to inspire the enthusiasm it's going to take to rally voters.  You can barely hear what she's saying much of the time, and that definitely won't play well in debates against Trump.  Delivery matters.  Her delivery is well suited for committee hearings, but doesn't work on the debate or national campaign stage.    

Beto is an empty suit.  If he wants to be president, he should go back to the house or senate for a decade and try again.

CNN should be ashamed of itself for their Monday NIght Raw-esque opening segment.

I agree with everything except your assessment of Harris. She was off her game a bit last night, but she can be as consistently forceful as she was in her closing last night. She or Warren would be the best to go toe-to-toe with Trump. I still like Buttigieg to debate Trump. He’s so calm, I don’t think Trump would land a punch, just flail and wear himself out.

I agree with everything except your assessment of Harris. She was off her game a bit last night, but she can be as consistently forceful as she was in her closing last night. She or Warren would be the best to go toe-to-toe with Trump. I still like Buttigieg to debate Trump. He’s so calm, I don’t think Trump would land a punch, just flail and wear himself out.

Now, I have that Rocky/Mr. T bout in my head. 

I had both debates in the background -- way too many people for me to get into it, though. Sanders and Biden just need to step aside and I agree about Warren, she seems the most cogent and so far and I think she will be great up against Trump, I am in her corner -- none of the others are cutting through all the noise that is being created by the people in the ring.

I'd like to see that, and I think you're right about how it'd go.  I feel strongly that this country is nowhere near electing a gay person, though.  What I really want to see is him debate Pence and tear apart Pence's fake christianity.  I think having a gay VP would move this country farther forward, and faster, than having a gay presidential candidate who ends up losing.

I'd like to see that, and I think you're right about how it'd go. I feel strongly that this country is nowhere near electing a gay person, though. What I really want to see is him debate Pence and tear apart Pence's fake christianity. I think having a gay VP would move this country farther forward, and faster, than having a gay presidential candidate who ends up losing.

That’s an interesting thought and makes sense!

I greatly admire Warren's intellect, elocution and passion, but I'm not in favor of the revolution she and Bernie are advocating.  For me, it's feeling like "clowns to the left of me, joker to the right . . . "  Give me a centerist/moderate who can get things done.  There's one from Minnesota I like. 

I greatly admire Warren's intellect, elocution and passion, but I'm not in favor of the revolution she and Bernie are advocating.  For me, it's feeling like "clowns to the left of me, joker to the right . . . "  Give me a centerist/moderate who can get things done.  There's one from Minnesota I like. 

I like many of Warren's ideas, I'm just realistic about their chances (~0%) of actually getting turned into legislation that can get through Congress.  But that's actually the appeal (for me) of Warren over Sanders.  She seems much more capable of compromise and rational argument, whereas Bernie is willing to go down in flames for his cause if it's not adopted 100%.

But I'm far from sold on anyone in particular yet.  All I know is that we can't make the same mistake as the GOP did and pick political novices like Wang or Williamson just because they're entertaining on the debate stage.

But I'm far from sold on anyone in particular yet.  All I know is that we can't make the same mistake as the GOP did and pick political novices like Wang or Williamson just because they're entertaining on the debate stage.

The difference is Yang has some cabinet potential. Williamson is dangerous.

I like many of Warren's ideas, I'm just realistic about their chances (~0%) of actually getting turned into legislation that can get through Congress.  But that's actually the appeal (for me) of Warren over Sanders.  She seems much more capable of compromise and rational argument, whereas Bernie is willing to go down in flames for his cause if it's not adopted 100%.

My feeling is along these lines, but with the slight but significant modification to this:

She seems much more capable of compromise and rational argument, whereas Bernie (and his base) is (are) willing to go down in flames (and take all of us with them) for his (their) cause if it's not adopted 100%.

I have no further insight but to agree with these last two comments.

The funny thing about Bernie is I'm almost surprised to recall that I kind of like him when I see him speak, only because his supporters make me feel like I'm at odds with them even though I agree with the majority of his positions. I wouldn't mind seeing him as president, as contentious as it might be, but if his supporters give my pinko ass whiplash, I can't imagine how the moderates will take it.

I have no further insight but to agree with these last two comments.

The funny thing about Bernie is I'm almost surprised to recall that I kind of like him when I see him speak, only because his supporters make me feel like I'm at odds with them even though I agree with the majority of his positions. I wouldn't mind seeing him as president, as contentious as it might be, but if his supporters give my pinko ass whiplash, I can't imagine how the moderates will take it.

His supporters certainly did him no favors, and their tactics did grave damage to Clinton, and as a result, the entire country.

As a Bernie supporter who voted for Hillary, she definitely did herself no favors. She came off as very un-authentic when talking to an average person or local press. I thought she definitely smoked Trump in the debates, though. Another massive problem was that Tim Kaine was the VP pick, who I thought was a mediocre pick that didn’t unify the Democratic Party. I thought he performed awfully at the VP Debate, whereas Pence seemed calm and reassuring. Clinton was a problematic choice and there was a reason why President Obama beat her in the 2008 primaries.

did the bernie supporters tell her to ignore campaigning in wisconsin? because that sorted turned out to be a big deal.

That was a mistake.

Among my social group I saw lots of #NeverHillary stuff, and loads of suspect article sharing aimed at damaging her.  Even after the primaries were over. This "give me everything I want or we burn it all down" nonsense was a nationwide trend on the progressive left.  We're suffering badly now for it, and their belief that a Trump presidency would be no worse than Hillary was obviously and objectively wrong.  Every last one of them went dead silent the minute Trump won, and they've stayed dead silent (for better and worse) ever since.

I don't respect that.

She came off as very un-authentic when talking to an average person or local press.

Can you describe what you mean by this?  Everyone knows she has always had a bit of a cold demeanor.  That IS her authentic self.  But maybe you mean something else.

Hillary isn't running this year.  And the "Bernie Bro" movement was egged on by Russian trolls.  No need to revisit 2016 again.

On a lighter note, we've managed to go how long since there's been a mass shooting? 2 days?  w00t!

Hillary isn't running this year.  And the "Bernie Bro" movement was egged on by Russian trolls.  No need to revisit 2016 again.

But Joe Biden is.  He is Democratic Establishment's choice, basically the same roll that Hillary was in 2020.  I have already heard talk (non Russian trolls btw) that Millennials (aka Bernie Bros) will sit out if Joe gets the nod.  So yeah, the Bernie Bros would rather burn it all down if they don't get their way.  

Can you describe what you mean by this? Everyone knows she has always had a bit of a cold demeanor. That IS her authentic self. But maybe you mean something else.

Well, one specific incident that I remember was when she went on a local hip-hop station and said something along the lines of I always keep hot sauce on me, which I remember at the time seemed like pandering to the African-American community, and I know that turned off some people. I was never a fan of hers but I still voted for her because defeating the GOP is the #1 priority in my book.

If Biden ends up being the nominee I’ll hold my nose and vote for him as well. But it will be a colossal mistake if he picks a centrist as a running mate. Also, people should still look at the 2016 election, because I fear past mistakes will haunt the Democrats again in 2020.