Iowan here, so I matter more than most of you. Here's my current ranking:

It is absolute garbage that a small midwestern state that is 90% white with 6 electoral college has this much sway in presidential politics.   

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the moderates have the best chance of defeating Trump in the general election.  My current ranking:

Klobuchar

Biden
Bennett

The best course of action is to start giving POTUS enough rope to hang himself.  

i realize that i am quoting a fairly old post, but regardless of what Trump says/tweets/does, he can't hang himself due to the depressingly large amount of Americans who are OK w/ his indirect or flagrant racism.

Before Obama became the nominee 10 years ago (or was it 100?....it feels like 100), I thought Biden was just about the perfect presidential candidate.  He seems really off his game now, though.  Like he's aged 20 years since leaving the White House.   His debate performances have been ragged and there's a frailty to him now.  Sill, I am 100% voting for him if he gets the nomination.

I think Trump winning another term is the most likely to happen.  More than most likely.  Almost assured.  That feeling has me in a constant state of dread.  ANY of the D candidates would be immesurably better than Trump, if for no other reason than who they will put on the federal bench (and not just the US Supreme Court).  One more R term, and our court system will be hard right for the rest of our lives.

One of my hopes is that Pete Butigieg will be the VP nom and will debate Pence.

One of my hopes is that Pete Butigieg will be the VP nom and will debate Pence.

This would be beautiful. I could envision a scenario where Pence refuses to debate a sinner. Also, a key Iowa staff has quit Booker's campaign. I doubt he makes it to the caucuses.

i realize that i am quoting a fairly old post, but regardless of what Trump says/tweets/does, he can't hang himself due to the depressingly large amount of Americans who are OK w/ his indirect or flagrant racism.

Trump is a racist, he has always been a racist.  This is nothing new.  The media certainly will not call him out on it.  Politicians won't call him out on it.  The MAGA crowd never cared and support his racist policies.  But he is hanging himself, albeit slowly.  His support with white women is eroding.  Mainly due to his boorish behavior.  I say boorish, because the racism does not bother people en masse, if he were more eloquent about it, ala Ronald Reagan, it would be a different story.  

He knows what he is doing, I firmly believe this calling out of these congress women was very calculated.  He used language that is on the razors edge of racism.  Is it racist, absolutely.  Can you parse and twist the words so it is not, yes.  This is a distraction.  We forgot about Epstein, Pence's trip to the detention facilities, and remember Robert Mueller is set to testify on July 24.    

Huh? I don't go to Fox News, 

I did last night.  According to Sean Hannity, anyone calling Trump a racist (or criticizing him in any way) hates America and can leave any time.

I did last night.  According to Sean Hannity, anyone calling Trump a racist (or criticizing him in any way) hates America and can leave any time.

Driving through Canada on my way to Massachusetts tomorrow. Maybe I'll just goddamn stay.

I'll be dipping my toes in Canadian waters in early August from the northern reaches of Minnesota. 

Saw a T-shirt on Reddit that said: Racism is so American that when you protest it, people think you're protesting America. 

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Out curiosity what was the straw that broke the camel's back?

i gave them the benefit of the doubt in 2016 with their vote for Trump. I guess some people will always vote for what they perceive is their best self-interest, and these guys are both bankers so it's clear they wouldn't vote for someone like Warren or Sanders.

but given Trump's behavior since elected, i wanted to see if they changed their minds. they hadn't and still support him. i find that absolutely reprehensible, esp as one of them is a self-avowed christian. 

i gave them the benefit of the doubt in 2016 with their vote for Trump. I guess some people will always vote for what they perceive is their best self-interest, and these guys are both bankers so it's clear they wouldn't vote for someone like Warren or Sanders.

but given Trump's behavior since elected, i wanted to see if they changed their minds. they hadn't and still support him. i find that absolutely reprehensible, esp as one of them is a self-avowed christian.

Oh boy, I have had a similar experience with my elderly next door neighbor and her daughter. These people have been almost like family to me over the years. We have maintained a very close relationship despite being polar opposites in our politics. I even drove my elderly neighbor to vote in 2016, she proudly wore a hand-painted Trump t-shirt. We laughed about it. But as it became clear over passing time that they were not changing their minds AT ALL, we drifted apart to the point where we barely say hello to each other, These are very religious people. My neighbor spends much of her time watching EWTN, and her daughter and son-in-law go on a religious retreat once a year as their vacation. I have never ended a friendship over politics, but something is different this time.

Religious people, especially VERY religious people, might say they absolutely loathe Trump, but as long as he's putting anti-abortion judges on the bench, they will vote for him over any Democrat.   For this reason, his low "approval" numbers or level of "support" is totally meaningless and in no way is an indication of his reelection prospects.

So the Mueller Testimony.  I don't think we learned much, but it was interesting to understand some the reasoning and thoughts.  

What worries me through this whole thing is this.  It has been proven by Mueller and many others that the Russians tried and successfully interfered with our election in 2016.  Whether there was a coordinated effort or collusion and by whom is a matter of interpretation and opinion.  While congress, the media and the American public seemingly want to point fingers and blame each other.  But the long and short of it a foreign entity meddled in our election.  This is beyond troubling and because of need to blame and deflect we have done nothing to stop it from happening again.  

It is clear that there is a winner in this, it is Vlad.  

I watched large portions of it.  Mueller was not impressive.  If the needle has moved, my feeling is that it's in Trump's favor.   I'd love to be wrong about that.  

In this strange world, Micheal Cohen is probably going to be remembered as a bigger hero than Mueller.

I watched a lot of it too. I felt like Mueller came across as a broken old man, and it was painful to watch. I don’t feel like I learned anything I did not already know. I think his testimony hurt more than helped.

The House Democrats are fools if they expected Mueller to hit a home run for them.  He didn't; and was never going to. Not his style. 

The House Democrats are fools if they expected Mueller to hit a home run for them.  He didn't; and was never going to. Not his style. 

I'm sure they weren't expecting him to say "The Russians interfered in the election for the benefit of Trump...but also for Clinton's benefit."

With that statement, Trump probably won reelection.