Wilco - Cruel Country - New Album

8 hours ago, 5hake1t0ff said:

Just a shot in the dark, but my guess is this is mostly related to the YHF rollout. Jeff mentioned on the Kreative Kontrol podcast that they had been "in line" for years for all the vinyl needed for it. So I get the sense they're sensitive to the shortage and its effect on other bands trying to release around the same time. In other words, my guess is they will only release and promote the vinyl version of CC after YHF reissue has hit the shelves.

This makes all kinds of sense. Also you wouldn't want to build up to the YHF reissue in order to have it eclipse the news around a new physical release. It would be better to let one record have it's moment of hype, then roll out the other on it's heels. Their publicist will thank them for it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm having a complicated reaction to this album that seems to be rooted in competing sensors and expectations. Most of all, I respond to Wilco's multifaceted muse; I love both chaotic and folksy

So, thoughts on the album - it's a bit on the long side:   I'll be upfront and say that I'm simply thankful for Cruel Country because it's given us "Country Song Upside Down". When this land

It's hard to express how deeply I love this new album and can't wait to hear it at Solid Sound. I've been hoping Wilco would do a "country" album for a long time, but the direction of the past three m

Posted Images

With the vinyl delays causing problems all over the globe, I think we're at a point where no band should be allowed to put out 11 LP sets.  At least until the supply issues are worked out.  How many bands do you suppose have had their vinyl releases sidelined in part because of these types of vanity projects?

YHF deserves to be celebrated, but creating 11 LP sets causes damage the music ecosystem and is a selfish ego stroke.  Tweedy should have read the room and scaled it back.

25 minutes ago, jff said:

With the vinyl delays causing problems all over the globe, I think we're at a point where no band should be allowed to put out 11 LP sets.  At least until the supply issues are worked out.  How many bands do you suppose have had their vinyl releases sidelined in part because of these types of vanity projects?

YHF deserves to be celebrated, but creating 11 LP sets causes damage the music ecosystem and is a selfish ego stroke.  Tweedy should have read the room and scaled it back.

Yes.  I am a vinyl person, but personally I find for these archive type sets with demos, alternates and live tracks that a digital format is much better. Easy to skip tracks and one doesn't have to get up every 18-20 minutes to flip them over. I wonder how many plays in particular these huge vinyl sets actually get or do they mostly sit in the corner of the room looking like the monolith from 2001. Prince's Sign O The Times super deluxe vinyl set had 13 LPs. Great album but who's going to get through that more than once?

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, summerdai said:

Yes.  I am a vinyl person, but personally I find for these archive type sets with demos, alternates and live tracks that a digital format is much better. Easy to skip tracks and one doesn't have to get up every 18-20 minutes to flip them over. I wonder how many plays in particular these huge vinyl sets actually get or do they mostly sit in the corner of the room looking like the monolith from 2001. Prince's Sign O The Times super deluxe vinyl set had 13 LPs. Great album but who's going to get through that more than once?

Even with the five LP Summerteeth box set that I bought last year, after one play through the full set, I'll only end up playing the studio album in the future, and even that might not be worth the trouble of digging through a pile of vinyl and inserts.  If I ever want to hear the extras again, I'll stream them.  

I've been a dedicated vinyl listener since the '80s, but these mega sets, of which I've had many, don't translate to vinyl imo.  They're just not a pleasant enough experience compared to listening to a few regular albums.  They're like the coffee table book that looks really cool but that you open once and then forget about.

That's not a Wilco complaint. I find that to be true of vinyl box sets in general.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/22/2022 at 12:10 AM, Analogman said:

Another RA connection - the end of Many Worlds reminds me of something Ryan has done. But I can't think of what song.

I was just listening to Love Is Hell, and “The Shadowlands” absolutely has the same vibe.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Chez said:

Anyone have an update or inside information on when the vinyl and CD versions of Cruel Country will be released?  I've not seen anything on the interwebs.      

I haven’t seen any dates mentioned or rumored. The only thing that I’ve seen recently is this on their FB page today. It wasn’t mentioned in the email that came out yesterday, so you might have missed it, if the algorithm isn’t showing you every social media post. 

488EDE88-4A46-4F2D-B1C1-AD494F9409A3.jpeg

• Like 2
On 7/21/2022 at 10:38 AM, jff said:

Even with the five LP Summerteeth box set that I bought last year, after one play through the full set, I'll only end up playing the studio album in the future, and even that might not be worth the trouble of digging through a pile of vinyl and inserts.  If I ever want to hear the extras again, I'll stream them.  

I've been a dedicated vinyl listener since the '80s, but these mega sets, of which I've had many, don't translate to vinyl imo.  They're just not a pleasant enough experience compared to listening to a few regular albums.  They're like the coffee table book that looks really cool but that you open once and then forget about.

That's not a Wilco complaint. I find that to be true of vinyl box sets in general.

great point.

w/ that Summer Bummer discount i had the Summerteeth box in my cart but i doubt i will pull the trigger. i can listen to my 2009 reissue and be fine w/ it and stream the extras and live stuff as needed. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, tinnitus photography said:

i finally spent some quality time w/ the record, and streamed it back to back today. easily their best record since i would say Wilco (The Album), maybe even SBS. "Mystery Binds" might be my favorite of the album.

Since it dropped before SS, I've already listened more than the last three albums combined. Can't get enough of Cruel Country. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, tinnitus photography said:

i finally spent some quality time w/ the record, and streamed it back to back today. easily their best record since i would say Wilco (The Album), maybe even SBS. "Mystery Binds" might be my favorite of the album.

Love Mystery Binds!