Inspired by my own comment in the Grateful Dead thread, what was your first concert?

Mine was the Jerry Garcia Band in Boston 40 years ago tonight.

If nothing else, I heard Tangled Up in Blue for the first time and bought Blood on the Tracks the next day.

5th grade, fall of 1980. The Commodores at Hilton Coliseum, Ames, Iowa. I can find no evidence on the Internet that this or any other Commodores concert ever occurred in Ames. I'm pretty sure they played there at least twice.

Second concert is a bit more impressive. The Police. Fall of 1983. UNIDome, Cedar Falls, Iowa.

First (w/ my brother) - Eric Clapton - August 1990, Nassau Coliseum

Second (First on my own) - Soul Asylum - May 1998, Tramps, New York City

First: Kiss - January 27th, 1978, Springfield Coliseum, Springfield, MA, on the Alive II tour; Judas Priest opened. Age 13.

Second: Aerosmith - November 18, 1978, Veterans Memorial Coliseum, New Haven, CT, on the Live Bootleg tour; Golden Earring opened. Age 14.

No wonder I have tinnitus now!

My first concert as a young adult was Screaming Trees, Spin Doctors, and Soul Asylum at the Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans. It was during the summer before I went to college, and I went with a group of my high school friends.

1st show was John Mellencamp in 88 - 15 years old. Still one of the the best concerts I ever been to. Mellencamp had a killer band and really knew how to command an arena.

2nd show was the next year --- the Grateful Dead at Alpine on 7/19/89 - two different ends of the spectrum --- both equally great.

The Carpenters, early 1970’s, Garden State Arts Center (now PNC Arts Center) in Holmdel, NJ.  Yes, it was my choice.  I honestly don’t remember the year, but with Google as my guide, I’m guessing it was 1973.  I was 12.  I really did love the Carpenters then!

The Carpenters, early 1970’s, Garden State Arts Center (now PNC Arts Center) in Holmdel, NJ.  Yes, it was my choice.  I honestly don’t remember the year, but with Google as my guide, I’m guessing it was 1973.  I was 12.  I really did love the Carpenters then!

The Carpenters were huge at that time. My older sisters were big fans then.

I went to a Sha-Na-Na concert as a 3rd grader in the late 70s in Austin MN. This would have been in the thick of their TV-show run, which looking up now says it lasted from 78-81.

My first show that I went to of my own volition was in 1985 - U2, Unforgettable Fire tour - Armory, Minneapolis MN. 

The other day I happened to see a video on YT of The Ramones on The Sha-Na- Na Show. I recall watching that show. But I do not recall The Ramones being on there. Of course - I don't think I knew who The Ramones were at the time.

The other day I happened to see a video on YT of The Ramones on The Sha-Na- Na Show. I recall watching that show. But I do not recall The Ramones being on there. Of course - I don't think I knew who The Ramones were at the time.

I want to say that I only became aware of the Ramones because of Rock n Roll High School. 

Probably the first ever was a big band jazz concert with my grandparents in Massachusetts.  We used to see a lot of that kind of thing when we'd visit the grandparents, especially after they found out I wanted to play drums.  

But the first one I went to without adult supervision was George Benson and Lee Ritenour JVC Jazz Festival tour in 1988, at the Fox in Atlanta. 

First rock concert was The Who The Kids Are Alright tour 1989.   4th row center at Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta.

• 3 weeks later...