Here's one I heard on a radio equivalent of Nevermind the Buzzcocks the other night:-

Chas and Dave appear on Eminem's (first) hit "My Name Is" - since they were session musicians in the 70s playing on the Labi Siffre track that is sampled.

Any more for any more?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably too easy for this bunch, but here's a go:

1. As a young lad, Zappa used his birthday money to make a long-distance call to what composer?

2. Why did Marty Robbins frequently appear last on the Grand Old Opry?

Sonny Rollins, no?

Yup.

Okay, here's one. The Young family from Australia produced brothers Angus and Malcom of AC/DC. What is the first hit song to come from that family?

Edited by BolivarBaLues
More AC/DC trivia: Malcolm Young was in a band in Australia called the Velvet Underground in the early '70s

even more AC/DC trivia: what musical instrument did Bon Scott play before becoming their lead singer?

The bagpipes.

nah. he played the recorder, in a duo with another guy who also played the recorder.

and if you want to be picky, he was also a drummer and bass player for a couple of bands.

I was just surprised to hear that Chad Smith (RHCP) played the drums on the new Dixie Chicks album. In the past I found it cool to hear that Dave Grohl recorded the drums for Tenacious D. This is sort of similar, but I heard that Adam Duritz (Counting Crows) wrote the song "Hangin' Around" to pay homage to the Len song "Steal My Sunshine." The chord progression is so similar that you can actually sing "Steal My Sunshine" over "Hangin' Around." While on the similar sounding songs topic, I always thought that Offspring song that went, "...Nana why don't you get a job" sounded a lot like "Ob La Di Ob La Da" by the Beatles. Anyway...

Probably too easy as well, but here goes.

Oh, and no googling!!

Neil Young was in an obscure band in the '60's with future members of the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and one other guy. Who was the guy and what was the band called?

Probably too easy as well, but here goes.

Oh, and no googling!!

Neil Young was in an obscure band in the '60's with future members of the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and one other guy. Who was the guy and what was the band called?

The Mynah Birds with Rick James on vocals?

Ryan Adams shares a birthday with his strangely near namesake Canadian singer Bryan Adams. Both born on 5th November.

Okay, here's one. The Young family from Australia produced brothers Angus and Malcom of AC/DC. What is the first hit song to come from that family?

Shoot, I knew that one but hadn't checked in on the thread until now. I love the Easybeats.

Here's an extremely obscure one:

What lyric snippet (approximately two lines) in the Spoon song "The Guestlist / The Execution" (from the album A Series of Sneaks) is lifted from a song by an earlier band? Can you name that earlier band, and the song?

It helps if you know a bit of Spoon trivia, because the other band is related in a rather crucial way.

Third Stone From the Sun by Jimi Hendrix on the Are You Experienced LP. There are some incoherent 'vocals' at the beginning. If you could play it at 78rpm you would hear Hendrix and Chas Chandler having a short conversation as alien(s) in a spaceship approaching Earth - with phrases something like "calling star ship", etc.

Third Stone From the Sun by Jimi Hendrix on the Are You Experienced LP. There are some incoherent 'vocals' at the beginning. If you could play it at 78rpm you would hear Hendrix and Chas Chandler having a short conversation as alien(s) in a spaceship approaching Earth - with phrases something like "calling star ship", etc.

Jimi was also in the backup band for Little Richard