I'll make this short and to the point if I can. yesterday on the drive back from VA, I heard the Cocker version of With A Little Help From My Friends. It made me think about seeing him on Austin City Limits and thinking he was amazing. Then I tried to think of other Cocker songs, and every song I came up with was someone else's song. So, discuss your thoughts on the man; talented vocalist only able to cover other talented writers, or flat-out hack? I'll keep my opinion to myself until others have responded.

I really like his version of "With A Little Help From My Friends," but tend to think it's a bit long. I don't really know any of his other work. He sure reminds me of fond memories of my youth, watching The Wonder Years with my family.

His first two albums (With a Little Help From My Friends and Joe Cocker!) and the live Mad Dogs and Englishmen are all definite classics, but yeah, he's mostly an interpreter of other people's songs, not a songwriter.

I haven't liked most of what I've heard from him post-1970, but I spin those first three records pretty regularly.

I just bought mad dogs the other day.

He def. has a great voice but without great songs to sing he would have been nothing

I am currently waiting on the fartknocker cd place to get in the first two albums - re-mastered - that I ordered about a week ago. I have had those records since I was about 14 or so I think.

I really like his version of "With A Little Help From My Friends," but tend to think it's a bit long. I don't really know any of his other work. He sure reminds me of fond memories of my youth, watching The Wonder Years with my family.

His scream in With a Little Help is one of the greatest screams in all of rock history,& still gives me goosebumps.Great to catch live,as well

Scott

I got this not to long ago:

This in reality the third and fourth incarnation of Grease band line-up, and this was recorded

between October 68 to October 69 for the BBC, so you gonna listen to when Chris Stainton was the bass player and one year later he taking over the keyboards, and they got a new bass player in Alan Spenner, so then we got the familiar line-up that was recorded with the Spooky Tooth on The Last Puff,

so please enjoy this nice and fine album.

01 - Run Shaker Life (2:42) (Richie Havens)

02 - With A Little Help From My Friends (4:47) (Lennon-McCartney)

03 - Marjorine (2:45) (Cocker-Stainton-Rattigan-Myles)

04 - Change In Louise (2:39) (Cocker-Stainton)

05 - Can't Be So Bad (3:34) (Don Stevenson-Jerry Miller)

Track 1,2,5 recorded October 13 1968

Track 3,4 recorded October 14 1968

Joe Cocker - Vocals

Tommy Eyre - Organ

Henry McCullough - Guitar

Chris Stainton - Bass

Kenny Slade - Drums

Sue & Sunny - Backing Vocals

06 - Let's Get Stoned (5:17) (Simpson-Ashford-Armstead)

07 - That's Your Business (2:26) (Cocker-Stainton)

08 - Hitchcock Railway (4:16) (Dunn-McCashen)

09 - Lawdy Miss Clawdy (2:24) (Lloyd Price)

10 - Darlin' Be Home Soon (4:37) (John Sebastian)

11 - Hello Little Friend (3:58) (Leon Russell)

12 - Delta Lady (3:00) (Leon Russell)

Track 6-8 recorded September 21 1969

Track 9-12 recorded October 11 1969

Joe Cocker - Vocals

Chris Stainton - Keyboards

Henry McCullough - Guitar

Alan Spenner - Bass

Bruce Rowland - Drums

This recording was recorded for BBC in 1968 - 1969

This release is from 1997 on Strange Fruit

Just enjoy these versions of the great songs from the fantastic Joe Cocker in early age.

• 2 years later...

I'll make this short and to the point if I can. yesterday on the drive back from VA, I heard the Cocker version of With A Little Help From My Friends. It made me think about seeing him on Austin City Limits and thinking he was amazing. Then I tried to think of other Cocker songs, and every song I came up with was someone else's song. So, discuss your thoughts on the man; talented vocalist only able to cover other talented writers, or flat-out hack? I'll keep my opinion to myself until others have responded.

Here is a great clip of this song, with the unknown lyrics finally clarified:

http://www.elwp.com/Joe%20Cocker.html

Last week I got the Beatles anthology 2 from the library. It says Joe Cocker recorded his version of "Something" before the Beatles recorded their version. I found that pretty incredible.

His first two albums can stand up to just about any record ever released, in my opinion.

Saw him in concert back in the 80s, and America opened. He had just had a little resurgence, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the single. It was good, though.

He had that duet thing (Where the Eagles Fly?) that was pretty big...not my favourite Cocker moment. From the 80's I really enjoyed Sheffield Steel..and still spin it occasionally.

• 5 years later...

I spent a lot of time several years ago tracking down the re-masters of With A Little Help From My Friends and Joe Cocker !. Two really great albums. I guess he had some health problems over the past several years. 

Damn, I wasn't expecting this. This saddens me.  I've been listening to his first two records a lot lately.  So good, particularly the self titled one.  It sure would have been cool to see him team up with Leon Russell one more time, but it was not to be. 

I saw him open for Tina Turner on her final tour.  He was very good. His records were a college staple when I was a youngster.  I can tell you this; this dying shit has to stop.  RIP Joe. Great performance in the Woodstock movie as I recall.

LouieB