Via Chicago Appreciation Thread

... but this thread is about the Via Chicago community. :wub

Narz has posted a few bulletins around the forums here, but none of them are open threads, so I'll start one here. Please be sure to read this thread here in case you have not seen it yet, about subscriptions and donations.

His note has been there a few days, and now I see Narz has added a few smileys

like this ... :dontgetit

and this ... :brow

... which indicates maybe not such a good response to his bulletin. ( :unsure )

So maybe we can catch him before he uses this ... :( ... or heaven forbid this ... :angry

I'm throwing some $$$ into the till via PayPal. If anyone isn't sure how to do this, I just did it and I'd be happy to explain how it works. PM me.

I love Via Chicago!!! Thanks for being here for us Wilco and Jeff Tweedy fans!

So maybe we can catch him before he uses this ... :( ... or heaven forbid this ... :angry

Sadly, he's already used :(

My current subscription doesn't run out for a while yet, but September is a three-paycheck month for me*, so I'm kicking in now.

* - :dancing

Thanks Wendy --

I PMed Narziss, and he said that while he is looking for contributions from anyone, he is REALLY hoping that folks that haven't yet contributed will do so.

And Narziss? :wub back at 'cha

i left the announcements closed simply because i didn't want the chatter to stray. you know how it gets. :)

it hasn't been overwhelming but there has been a good response nonetheless. i really do appreciate it, guys. i wouldn't ask if it wasn't important.

someone, who will remain nameless for now, donated a penny for every post. i thought that was both hilarious and awesome.

my biggest fear, though, is that this will rest again on the shoulders of people who have donated or bought subscriptions in the past. they've given plenty and it's such a small number of members (even less than last year). i'm hoping that we can tap into the other 97% of the board a little. maybe some that use the torrents or post regularly that have never bought a subscription.

to put it into perspective... if 250 people donated $5 we could practically pay for an entire year. if there were a few $10 in that mix, we could cover the costs of upgrades and all the little crashes and repairs that happen sometimes. we could possibly buy Solace a dinner or two as well. there have been days when a tired and frustrated Solace has called me after 6-7 hours of fixing databases and code for this place. all for nothing. and most of the time without any of us noticing a problem.

thank you all again.

well, it's a holiday week. times are tight as well. thankfully gas prices are going down and the summer is ending for those being milked by the electric company over air conditioning. so i say enjoy your extra money, go have a drink or two and if you get a chance during the next few weeks, throw us a dime or two. you'll have my love forever.

someone, who will remain nameless for now, donated a penny for every post. i thought that was both hilarious and awesome.

I hope that was Analogman! :pirate

Seriously, only 3% donate? Yowza, that sucks. C'mon people, pony up!

Hey, is there any way to post this on the tracker? I think some people go over there without checking in here, it might remind some people to at least check the announcements here.

I just fulfilled my duty to keep this wonderful site operational!! It has nearly taken over my life. :D

Please tell me paypal is safe and there's nothing to worry about using it. :ermm

I'll continue to help in any way I can since I love Wilco and am loving VC.

:canada

hmm, i'm trying to get to the paid subcriptions area and everything goes well until i click on the "pay" option. it then gives me a message saying i have to be logged in for this - even though i am.

any ideas?? :dontgetit

Move to the correct side of the equator?

hmm, i'm trying to get to the paid subcriptions area and everything goes well until i click on the "pay" option. it then gives me a message saying i have to be logged in for this - even though i am.

I've tried quite a few times over the last few months, and the same thing happens to me :hmm .

I had the same problem with paypal, but then someone :wub gifted me with a subscription so I didn't have to worry about it. :lol Now however, I must make a donation of my own!

The screen that pops up saying you have to log in again gives you instructions

on how to change your cookie setting, thats all that is stopping it from working...

lets see if i can remember... of course it might be alittle different depending on

what system your using.... this is for windows xp...

click start

control panel

internet connections/options

privacy

check box that says 'override automatic cookie handling'

check box that says 'always allow session cookies'

click ok

click ok again

then close it out and retry paypal again

this should allow the paypal to work with whatever was blocking it before.... :thumbup

The response is getting better. Thank you to everyone! I can only hope this continues. We're a little under halfway to the 250/5 goal I posted earlier.

I feel like I need to provide jugglers and animal acts in between emails. Think Jerry Lewis. Think Lou Rawls. I could rent a tux and do a little dance number.

Oh...

For those that have trouble with the process of buying a subscription can manually send the payment through paypal to paypal@viachicago.org. Just enter a comment about wanting a Gold or Silver subscription and I will manually upgrade your account.

:)