Besides Wilco who are your favorite bands

I am curious who everyone's five or so favorite bands are (other than Wilco). Please limit this to bands that are relatively young/new e.g. no classic rock please!

I need some new music to listen to and have come to value people's opinions here in VC. Feel free to include the title of your favorite album by each group too, if you so desire. Thanks all. :rock

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elvis Costello

Ryan Adams

Hem

Neko Case

Yo La Tengo

Decemberists

Destroyer

The Stills

Guster

Eels

Bands I have recently bought ONE album from and would like to get many more:

Spoon (Gimme Fiction)

Yo La Tengo (I Will Beat Your Ass)

Band lots of peeps here have said but I'm still not sold on:

MMJ--I like several songs off both Z and It Still Moves, but find myself shelving the new live album and hardly listening to more than 50% of both the studio ones I do have.

besides those mentioned, i've fallen back in love with bad religion. the empire strikes back is a kick ass record.

I stopped paying attention after The Gray Race...should I be diving into their later catalog? I still listen to Suffer, Against The Grain, and Stranger Than Fiction pretty regularly.

stephen malkmus

built to spill

the shins

trail of dead

mogwai

sonic youth

sorta (somewhat wilco-influenced local... songs here)

Chris Holt's a good friend. Pretty much any project he's involved in is worth checking out (and typically there are anywhere from 3 to infinity, what with olospo, his solo projects and sitting in with salim, etc.)

I stopped paying attention after The Gray Race...should I be diving into their later catalog? I still listen to Suffer, Against The Grain, and Stranger Than Fiction pretty regularly.

The last two are pretty damn good. Brett Gurewitz rejoined the band (at least in the studio) and his songs are usually pretty great (and better than Graffin's).

Quality responses thus far. Much appreciated. I guess I was already listening to the right bands. I gotta say that My Morning Jacket has really grown on me. :thumbup

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Minus Five. The only album I have is "Down with Wilco" which I think is very good. Maybe you left them off because of their close ties to the band?