Besides Wilco who are your favorite bands

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to add what a great musical resource this forum has been for me. With the exception of the Eels and the Shins, every artist I listed as a favorite was introduced to me in some way through VC.

Also, yankeehotelfox, if you haven't already done so, you should check out the weekly "now playing" threads. Endless music suggestions there... :music

I am curious who everyone's five or so favorite bands are (other than Wilco). Please limit this to bands that are relatively young/new e.g. no classic rock please!

I need some new music to listen to and have come to value people's opinions here in VC. Feel free to include the title of your favorite album by each group too, if you so desire. Thanks all. :rock

Drive by Truckers

Ryan Adams

My Morning Jacket

Alejandro Escovedo

Eisley

Old 97's (i know they still have it in them to melt our faces off...)

:yes I whole-heartedly agree, and I can't wait!

Chris Holt's a good friend. Pretty much any project he's involved in is worth checking out (and typically there are anywhere from 3 to infinity, what with olospo, his solo projects and sitting in with salim, etc.)

ahh, very cool. he's a great musician. i'm anxious to hear where sorta will go with him on board. the new songs i've heard (since he's joined) are really good.

Radiohead.

And I think I'd have to add The National along with many of the others mentioned

Radiohead would probably be my number two favorite band; favorite album-The Bends

I have heard of the National from a coworker; reminds me of (Smog) somewhat

Other favorites:

Neko Case-Furnace Room Lullaby

Preston School of Industry-All of This Sounds Gas

Gomez-Out West

Gillian Welch-The Revelator

Getting into the Avett Brothers, going to see them in Charlottesville at the end of the month and very excited about that.

Dr. Dog

I saw them open for the Raconteurs a few weeks ago and was thoroughly impressed. Great energy. Their bass playing singer was totally intense and into it. Loved their set. Picked up two of their releases (a new EP and full length) off of EMusic. Good stuff but not quite the same energy that blew my mind. I'll give them another listen in a different mood.

I'll definitely buy a ticket to their show.

Decemberists

Destroyer

The Stills

Guster

Eels

Bands I have recently bought ONE album from and would like to get many more:

Spoon (Gimme Fiction)

Yo La Tengo (I Will Beat Your Ass)

I think I might love you.

Dr. Dog

I saw them open for the Raconteurs a few weeks ago and was thoroughly impressed. Great energy. Their bass playing singer was totally intense and into it. Loved their set. Picked up two of their releases (a new EP and full length) off of EMusic. Good stuff but not quite the same energy that blew my mind. I'll give them another listen in a different mood.

I'll definitely buy a ticket to their show.

As a fan of Dr. Dog, it took me a few listens to really grasp what they were getting at. Its such a unique vibe.