Glenn Kotche's the most talented drummer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As mentioned Glenn is a very good drummer and is a great fit for Wilco.

Their are other dummers who are more talented or who i like better but i'm really happy glenn is behind the kit for wilco.

My amazement lies in the way he places different rhythms in different limbs(clapping music in two hands).

Q: What is the sound of two hands clapping, separately, to different rhythms?

A: It is Glenn.

Froggie, that story was well cool. Nice one.

yup. creative. enjoyed it.

No love for Neil Peart as a drummer?

apparently, chester will back you on this.

i've said it before...kotche's drumming, when i witnessed his live solo set, much less appreciating his work with wilco and tweedy solo, it made me look at a drum kit in a different, more appreciative light. i know this will not make sense, especially to those who play drums, but it made me look at the kit as more of an instrument (much like a guitar is for me) rather than just percussion.

all that to say: i'm a fan.

yup. creative. enjoyed it.

apparently, chester will back you on this.

i've said it before...kotche's drumming, when i witnessed his live solo set, much less appreciating his work with wilco and tweedy solo, it made me look at a drum kit in a different, more appreciative light. i know this will not make sense, especially to those who play drums, but it made me look at the kit as more of an instrument (much like a guitar is for me) rather than just percussion.

all that to say: i'm a fan.

I just watched his segment yesterday on the Modern Drummer Festival DVD from this past year. What you have said is exactly how he thinks about his playing. His teacher at UK(James Campbell?) really pushes his students to look at percussion as a whole entity, not just different facets(i.e. keyboards, timpani, multiple, drumset, snare drum, etc.). That's why Glenn's playing is so musical, because he doesn't look at the drumset as a drumset, he looks at it as an instrument with infinite possiblities. This is also evident in how he chooses various percussive instruments to play that aren't traditionally associated with the drumset. On the DVD he plays monkey chant and then talks about his philosophy and then plays along the the KT version of ITMWLY. I always thought that song was a really involved one for him, but watching him play it and not having anything else to look at(the rest of the band) made me realize exactly how much he does during that song and it's incredible. He triggers so many of the noise samples that all along I wasn't sure if it was him or Pat or Mikael that had been doing that live. Okay, I'll stop now. Drum nerd comes out every now and again and I have to surpress it....

• 1 month later...
Alright, look, I didn't want to have to do this, but I just can't keep quiet any longer. Some of these drummers you've probably heard of, and some you probably haven't. Either way, these are some fantastic solos. Glenn is derfinitely one of my favorites and no doubt seeing him play "Monkey Chant" live was one of the best moments in my life(he's also a super nice fellow). For all interested, here you go.

Chad Sexton(311)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZqeF7Ykxv8...ted&search=

Chad Smith(RHCP)

John Bonham(Zeppelin-moby dick)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L47lv3QTkbo

John Blackwell(Prince)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RpYRyE7Rm0

Johnny Rabb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y8gmgG4W3M

Thomas Lang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re2RAGnTh1E

Virgil Donati

Thomas Lang is a fuckin robocop but i think he's not able to play a regular song.

BENNY GREB is the real deal!

http://www.meinlcymbals.com/Benny+Greb/videos

Glenn really acellerated the musical confedience and progress of Jeff. Wilco has a joy and confedience seen in few bands now days and I would say that Jeff was getting their but Jim O'Rourke and Glenn seem to have help speed things up. Glenn is a true musical scientist who is selfless as well. Ok that was a little much so I'll stop.

Glenn is the catalyst for the growth in the band though.

Tweedy and Kotche constitute what I feel to be the most remarkable collaborators in the history of rock.
*cough*lennon&mccartney*cough*

kotche may be the best rock drummer since stuart copeland.

I guess you've never seen Jimmy Chamberlin from the Smashing Pumpkins! Chamberlin is easily one of the top 5 drummers in the world.I love Glenn and the work he does with wilco, and i mean no disrespect, but chamberlin has got him beat by a long shot.Chamberlin use to be a jazz drummer before he joined the pumpkins and one can easily tell by his skills.This made me laugh.

*cough*lennon&mccartney*cough*kotche may be the best rock drummer since stuart copeland.
I guess you've never seen Jimmy Chamberlin from the Smashing Pumpkins! Chamberlin is easily one of the top 5 drummers in the world.I love Glenn and the work he does with wilco, and i mean no disrespect, but chamberlin has got him beat by a long shot.Chamberlin use to be a jazz drummer before he joined the pumpkins and one can easily tell by his skills.This made me laugh.

See, Glenn goes way beyond his work with Wilco. I don't think it's fair to just judge him on his work with Wilco. His solo work is awesome as far as percussion goes. He also played in a few jazz bands before he joined Wilco.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I had the pleasure of seeing Glenn perform in the late 80s with Paul K and the Weathermen in Louisville/Lexington Kentucky at least 25+ times and he was outstanding, even as a kid fresh outta college.

Then PKW went to California to record "Love is a Gas" produced by Moe Tucker (the Velvet Underground's drummer). This had profound influence on Glenn's future drumming (from his site):

"After graduation, Kotche joined local favorites Paul K and the Weathermen.  In 1997, they recorded Love is a Gas for Alias Records with former Velvet Underground drummer Maureen Tucker in the producer's chair.  "I was able to double drum with her," Kotche remembers.  "She had the floor torn and the bass drum and the mallets, doing the whole 'Sister Ray' beat.  At that point, coming from college, I was pretty notey, pretty trained, and that was the best thing in the world: to see this drummer, this woman, who beat the shit out of the drums.

"She didn't have the same technical facility, but she was ten times the drummer I was ever gonna be, just because of her musical sense.  It taught me that there's a lot more to drumming than hands and chops and technique.  I had an emotional response to her drumming that was a lot more than most fusion drummers I'd heard.  That was a big lesson for me to put all my training into perspective, telling me to open up my ears and listen to the music first."

If you have never heard "Love is a Gas" take a LISTEN ASAP!!!

It was th most talked about Indie release in Kentucky history ever, the buzz about the band was justifiable they just rocked harder than anyone I've ever seen before or since.

Anyway, whenever PKW played after that in town, it was amazing. The energy from both the crowd back to the band was just something that I'll never forget. They then hit the road and we saw them probably 2-3 that next year. They went global. That record should have been at least a top 50 release, it didn't go anywhere. I do think its in the critics' top 1,000 records of the 90s, once again, justifiably so. I don't think I took it outta my office CD player for at least 3 months.