Jeff and his guitar

If I am not mistaken Jeff still takes most of the solos. Definetely on the AGIB stuff (although Nels does the viola bit from Hummingbird) and I think most of the older stuff that has solos as well.

I just saw them at the 930 Club last week, and, frankly, I was surprised at the extent to which Jeff has turned over guitar solo duties to Nels. For instance, I hadn't yet seen "Impossible Germany" live, but I was sure it was Jeff who played the first solo.

If I am not mistaken Jeff still takes most of the solos. Definetely on the AGIB stuff (although Nels does the viola bit from Hummingbird) and I think most of the older stuff that has solos as well.

most of the songs on AGIB where Jeff recorded a bona fide solo have Jeff still taking the solo, though Nels may add some layers underneath Jeff's guitar

ALTWYS: Jeff

Hell is Chrome: Jeff and Nels, mostly unison

Spiders: Jeff and some Nels

Hummingbird: Nels

Muzzle: Nels

Theologians: Jeff first 1/2, Nels 2nd 1/2

Jeff also takes the solo on ITMWLY, and plays significant lead guitar parts on Walken. All three guitarists solo on Hoodoo Voodoo.

All the songs where Tweedy plays acoustic, those solos go automatically to Nels.

e.g. Forget the Flowers

On the songs where Tweedy straps an electric, he USUALLY takes the solo

e.g. ALTWYS, ITMWLY

In reality, though Tweedy is typically the "rhythm" guitarist, he takes A LOT of solos.

On the songs where Tweedy straps an electric, he USUALLY takes the solo

True. I guess the exceptions are going to be the new songs - Tweedy might write songs with an electric part for himself, but I don't see him taking those solos over Nels (a la Impossible Germany)

True. I guess the exceptions are going to be the new songs - Tweedy might write songs with an electric part for himself, but I don't see him taking those solos over Nels (a la Impossible Germany)

Probably because Nels is far and away a more inventive guitarist, not to mention a technically more skilled. Jeff realizes this, and realizes that the music is better served by letting Nels take more solos.

Probably because Nels is far and away a more inventive guitarist, not to mention a technically more skilled. Jeff realizes this, and realizes that the music is better served by letting Nels take more solos.

I thought that was understood :D

That said I've had enough of Nels, frankly his brand of noise making bores the crap out of me. He just sounds stiff to me. Others that are similar in style do it with more emotion than he does. That he seems to struggle with traditional playing freaks me out. He doesn't seem to be adept at the rootsy stuff, maybe adept isn't the right word. But for simple stuff he just sounds "stiff" to my ears. He could be a little less sterile. Maybe he needs a lesson from Paul Westerberg. He's a good player but it's not like he's Frank Zappa or something.

That said I've had enough of Nels, frankly his brand of noise making bores the crap out of me. He just sounds stiff to me. Others that are similar in style do it with more emotion than he does. That he seems to struggle with traditional playing freaks me out. He doesn't seem to be adept at the rootsy stuff, maybe adept isn't the right word. But for simple stuff he just sounds "stiff" to my ears. He could be a little less sterile. Maybe he needs a lesson from Paul Westerberg. He's a good player but it's not like he's Frank Zappa or something.

Are you kidding me, the problem with you guys is you have no idea about his back catalog. Nels can play anyting; he is a punk/jazz/country guitarist. You say he has know idea about the rootsy stuff, if you knew that he was in a goth-country band called the Geraldine Fibbers and created a solid album called "Butch", or he can play solos found in the south or if youtube Nels Cline you can listen to his cover of a Willie Nelson with Carla Bozulich. His playing on the song is amazing. You also say his brand of noise is boring, just listen to the live verison of "A Shot in the Arm" and find that Nels creates white noise that evokes Tweedy's dark lyrics. Also, it's great that he brings an avant-garde way to playing the guitar because it becomes really boring listening to same old traditional guitar licks that Jay Bennet created.

Sorry if the pargraph is not structured correctly because my brain is out of it.

Are you kidding me, the problem with you guys is you have no idea about his back catalog. Nels can play anyting; he is a punk/jazz/country guitarist. You say he has know idea about the rootsy stuff, if you knew that he was in a goth-country band called the Geraldine Fibbers and created a solid album called "Butch", or he can play solos found in the south or if youtube Nels Cline you can listen to his cover of a Willie Nelson with Carla Bozulich. His playing on the song is amazing. You also say his brand of noise is boring, just listen to the live verison of "A Shot in the Arm" and find that Nels creates white noise that evokes Tweedy's dark lyrics. Also, it's great that he brings an avant-garde way to playing the guitar because it becomes really boring listening to same old traditional guitar licks that Jay Bennet created.

Sorry if the pargraph is not structured correctly because my brain is out of it.

You like Nels Cline, duly noted.

I like Nels' stuff but I do understand where people who say it's kind of stiff and even boring sometimes are coming from. The man can shred, that's for sure but that's not always the best thing.

I dig Nels, but sometimes I get the feeling he's almost too good, if that makes any sense. I grew up on Zep and the reason I dug Page so much was his playing had kind of a sloppy feeling to it.

So true. I always thought of Jimmy Page as the sloppy, drunken guitar hero. His riffs are so pure. I love that bluesy rock n' roll.

Nels does seem almost "too good." I do hope he sticks around for a while so I can see a sweet lead guitarist every time I go see my favorite band play live. He sure sounds sweet on that old axe.

Really? Frank Zappa is who you choose to say Nels Cline isn't? Come on.

I think Nels' solos are easily the best Wilco has ever seen. I imagine he plays in the style that Tweedy deems fit for each song. His solo on Ashes of American Flags off Kicking Television proves he can play the perfect rock solo anytime he wants.

Who does Glen Kotche think he is? Sure he's great at some things, but he can't play big band swing as well as Ed Shaugnessy.

That's basically what several people around here have been saying about Nels Cline.

Who does Glen Kotche think he is? Sure he's great at some things, but he can't play big band swing as well as Ed Shaugnessy.

That's basically what several people around here have been saying about Nels Cline.

Thats true, have you ever seen his Pat Boone impression. Yeesh.