Marfa, TX -- 1/21/07

Just the setlist for now (go blackberry!)

Patient With Me

Remember The Mountain Bed

IATTBYH

Black Eye

You Were Wrong

Blasting Fonda

[The Ruling Class?]--see post below

One By One

Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

Gun (without p.a. system)

Via Chicago

Muzzle of Bees

Radio King

How to Fight Loneliness

New Madrid

-------------------

Theologians

Jesus, etc.

I'm The Man Who Loves You

[Jeff designated the last two songs as his second encore, though he never actually left the stage]

Dreamer In My Dreams (w/o p.a.)

Acuff-Rose (w/o p.a.)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, no Marfa lights for us, but we had a great time discovering the charms (coffee, dogs, bookstores, chapparal, Hotel Paisano) of this tiny town and even smaller venue. Just when you thought the show couldn't be more intimate, Jeff ran with the unparalleled opportunity to go without the PA. It was a beautifully personal touch to an already incomparable gig.

In my haste, I omitted The Ruling Class in the above setlist [edit: I added it in my original post, but obviously someone correct me if I'm wrong]. I'm pretty sure it came after Blasting Fonda, but it's 4:45 a.m., I'm sitting in the Midland airport and I'm not 100 percent certain. Hopefully someone else can confirm...

It was definitely played, though. :thumbup

we will have to wait confirmation from someone who taped the show.

"ROLL TAPE!"

what a terrific locale for a show! remote, lovely, FABULOUS COFFEE.

such a treat to see so many familiar faces among the crowd. :w00t

having trouble forming any semblance of coherent sentence word usement...

i will add this: gorgeous, gorgeous radio king tonight. :love

and this was the first time i've seen either jeff or wilco perform dreamer in my dreams. :dancing

for the record: the floor of this airport is cold. :dontgetit

Sounds like the crowd and venue lent themselves well to what is so magical about a Jeff Tweedy solo show. What a great setlist! :wub

Glad to hear it went so well. Tell us more! ;)

we will have to wait confirmation from someone who taped the show.

"ROLL TAPE!"

what a terrific locale for a show! remote, lovely, FABULOUS COFFEE.

such a treat to see so many familiar faces among the crowd. :w00t

having trouble forming any semblance of coherent sentence word usement...

i will add this: gorgeous, gorgeous radio king tonight. :love

and this was the first time i've seen either jeff or wilco perform dreamer in my dreams. :dancing

for the record: the floor of this airport is cold. :dontgetit

One thing needing mention in this thread is, Jeff suggested that all of us who were at last nights gig meet again every year in Marfa for a show. Unfortunately because the tape is encrypted with the secret pass word Jeff came up with for next years Marfa gig the tapes will not be released in mass. Only those that can offer proof of attendance at Liberty Hall Marfa, Texas January 21 2007 will be getting copy's of the recording with the code.

Sorry but Jeff didn't bring his tattoo pen as a way to identify those of us in attendance and a password was our solution. i don't want to be the one responsible for "spilling the beans" . Jeff's words were; "Some son of a bitch is going to put it on the internet". But we all promised not to tell. :P

I love the show and it was nice to see so many familiar and friendly faces.

I'm a bit wiped out today because yesterday; after returning home early morning from the Dallas gig, i saw the sun set in Marfa on the drive there and saw it rise when i got home this morning at 7 am. Thankfully i had a pair of nice shows to entertain me on the long drive home. :dancing

So just how small was this place?

185 tickets were sold according to the manager of the venue but because the weather was suspect leading up to the date there were a number of no shows. I would guess there were probably 100 to 120 people there.

When i asked about the bathroom i was directed out side, down the alley and follow the path lights about 20 yards away there was only one for both male and female.

Also to get by with out a liquor license the venue offered beer and wine by donation only. So if you didn't have any $$ you could just grab one.

So just how small was this place?

Imagine a well-sized shed or a three-car garage, with sliding manual wooden doors. Maybe add another 10 or 15 feet to the length of the room. Tack on a disco ball to the rafters and a stage about 2 feet off the floor. Voila, you've now reconstructed Liberty Hall.

What a great show - especially the multiple songs without the PA. Seeing "Dreamer in my Dreams" belted out from the tip of the stage was so much fun. There was a lot of funny banter, and lots of audience song requests were honored. (Solicted for the the most part in organized fashion as people raised their hands. Definitely possible in a room that size.) I was also very excited to hear "You Were Wrong."

Marfa is truly a unique and awesome city. I highly recommend the organic cranberry juice at the Brown Recluse - and say hi to Henry the dog if he's around when you go.

I believe Paul has a photo of the empty venue, which he may post when he's not in class. ;)

Also to get by with out a liquor license the venue offered beer and wine by donation only. So if you didn't have any $$ you could just grab one.

how did i not figure that one out? :o

brianne, you also took a pic of the hall exterior, no?

boy oh boy. off mic. no PA. i do not tire of acuff-rose. ever. :wub

i was just about to note that i hadn't met one crabby person in all of marfa, but then i rememberd wes, the guy at the mini-mart. he was surly. still: ONE person the whole weekend!

I believe Paul has a photo of the empty venue, which he may post when he's not in class. ;)

Here's the picture of the inside of Liberty Hall that I snapped with my cell-phone camera. I literally stuck my phone just inside the door and snapped, so this really is the whole venue.

Liberty_Hall__Marfa__TX.jpg

Here's one of my other favorite cell-phone pictures from the weekend. It's Marfa's one real stoplight (they also had a blinking yellow, but I'm not counting that one):

Marfastoplight.jpg

And just so Kris' mind is fully at peace, I did make it back to NYC in plenty of time for my 3-6 p.m. class yesterday! I'm on the weekend travel plan for the time being, but the Marfa show was--thank goodness--on a Sunday! :thumbup

Here is the venue just before Jeff took the stage taken from my recording perch who the venue manager graciously allowed me access.

Also a picture of a few great Marfa residents i met. The Guy is Tom Micheal and runs Marfa public radio 93.5 his wife is in the white sweater and the woman in the cool specs was introduced to me as the Mayor of Marfa, Buck Bosworth. I was not clear if she truly was the mayor but she seemed to know everyone local that was at the gig. Her husband Cam is a accomplished wood working artist and they lived in the oldest church in town. His gallery and work shop were in the chapel. They hooked me up with a after show party with what seemed like most of the residence of Marfa were there.

Everyone i met at the party was a artist of some sort. From what i gathered from them Marfa, is kinda like utopia for young artist. The only person i met in Marfa that was living there and was actually raised there was The bartender at Jett's. Everyone else said they were drawn there by their muse.

Tom who runs the radio station said it was the first time tapers have come to Marfa to tape a show. Leave it to Tweedy fans to be the first to make the effort to travel to the middle of nowhere and document the event.

For those wondering about the recording release i was obviously joking in my earlier post, but there was another taper in attendance who taped from the floor and once he gets home after the Austin gigs we will trade shows and choose the best one to share with everyone here.

Her husband Cam is a accomplished wood working artist and they lived in the oldest church in town. His gallery and work shop were in the chapel.

Oh, how cool! I think we saw that church, too.

Everyone i met at the party was a artist of some sort. From what i gathered from them Marfa, is kinda like utopia for young artist. The only person i met in Marfa that was living there and was actually raised there was The bartender at Jett's. Everyone else said they were drawn there by their muse.

That's pretty much the impression I got as well, from the people we saw and talked to during the day. That's why Jeff's Texan impressions were especially funny to me during the show - he was clearly barking up the wrong tree in this city!

It's impressive that this show had not just one, but two tapers. Kudos to you and Warner! Especially since two tapers in this venue actually amounts to a significant percentage of the crowd. ;)