Diamond Dave's fronting Van Halen again!

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_di...t_id=1003537232

Exclusive: Van Halen Reuniting With Roth For Tour

Van Halen's original lineup in the early 1980s

January 24, 2007, 4:20 PM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville

Sources tell Billboard.com a contract could be signed as soon as today for Live Nation to produce a 40-date amphitheatre tour by Van Halen this summer, with original frontman David Lee Roth back in the fold for the first time in more than 20 years.

As previously reported, guitarist Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang has stepped in for original bassist Michael Anthony in the new incarnation of the group, which also features drummer Alex Van Halen.

Van Halen last toured in 2004 with vocalist Sammy Hagar, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore. Hagar refused to collaborate further with Eddie and Alex Van Halen after the tour's completion ("I don't get along with Eddie anymore, and that's all there is to it," he told Billboard.com in August 2005), although he has consistently played live with Anthony in recent years. The warring factions may wind up meeting in public in March when Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"I see it absolutely as an inevitability," Roth told Billboard.com last May of a potential reunion with his ex-bandmates. "To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. And as far as hurt feelings and water under the dam, like what's-her-name says to what's-her-name at the end of the movie 'Chicago' -- 'So what? It's showbiz!' So I definitely see it happening."

Hagar recently told Billboard.com he was concerned Eddie Van Halen was asking too much of his son to have him join the band and promptly perform in front of thousands of people every night.

"That's a lot of pressure for Wolfie. Just 'cause he's Eddie's son doesn't mean he can go out and play in arenas and perform and entertain an audience for two hours," he said. "I would love to see Eddie and Alex get behind Wolfie, with a kid of his age singing, and produce the record for him and help him launch a career. I'd rather see it go that way than come out and say 'Wolfie's the bass player in Van Halen and maybe singing, too.' Van Halen's got way too much history to have that put on him."

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I see it absolutely as an inevitability," Roth told Billboard.com last May of a potential reunion with his ex-bandmates. "To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. And as far as hurt feelings and water under the dam, like what's-her-name says to what's-her-name at the end of the movie 'Chicago' -- 'So what? It's showbiz!' So I definitely see it happening."

I love Roth.

This has been talked about her a while now. I think it is a requirement that once you get in the RARHO$ you have to do this. As I once said on this board, you younger dudes are now going to start seeing bands from your yout days re-forming. Because in the end - it is really about money. Although - I doubt these guys are hurting.

After checking out various recent tour videos of his on youtube - I am not sure he can sing anymore. Not that he was much of a singer in the first place. That's a shame they are dissing Michael Anthony - all because he choose to not sit around and went and started doing shows with Sammy Hagar.

i wish roth was that funny when he replaced howard stern. he can be so fucking awesome. i'm kinda bummed the CRAZY FROM THE HEAT movie was never made. that could have been shitacular and craptastic. i would have loved to see it.

how long until wolfgang van halen is on HEAVY drugs?

There's a youtube video of EVH presenting his new guitar and amp at last week's NAMM show (music instrument convention). He seemed pretty whacked out when he was speaking, but his playing was still solid.

I saw Roth on one of those third-rate late night shows (carson daley, maybe?) a couple years ago. he played "Mean Streets" and sounded pretty good. He was still able to pull off the roundhouse karate kick, too.

I saw Roth on one of those third-rate late night shows (carson daley, maybe?) a couple years ago. he played "Mean Streets" and sounded pretty good. He was still able to pull off the roundhouse karate kick, too.

yeah, but he looks like phyllis diller.

There's a youtube video of EVH presenting his new guitar and amp at last week's NAMM show (music instrument convention). He seemed pretty whacked out when he was speaking, but his playing was still solid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIr-WBZT1MI

lots of effects, not much feeling

If EVH's playing at NAMM is an indication of where his chops are at the moment he needs to do some woodshedding before the tour. His wacky behavior and ultra crummy playing has been the buzz at many guitar forums in the past few days.

I predict a train wreck.