Diamond Dave's fronting Van Halen again!

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sir s/cryptique-

am i missing the scissor kicks, amp leaping, samaraui-sword-slinging, mike stand twirling and trademark falsetto yelps you guys are seeing?! jesus fucking christ is that beyond sad...and i don't even like the Mach I version of Roth that much.

eddie does indeed sound great. not great enough for me not to view that as a trainwreck. wow.

apologies,

gary cherone

is that supposed to make your case or work against it? you can't tell me the concept of a sammy hagar parachuting onto the white house lawn w/ a flying V and a jumpsuit w/ too many zippers...just to set a non-partisan political agenda based on only one cornerstone (ROCKING)...isn't awesome.

sir s/cryptique-

am i missing the scissor kicks, amp leaping, samaraui-sword-slinging, mike stand twirling and trademark falsetto yelps you guys are seeing?! jesus fucking christ is that beyond sad...and i don't even like the Mach I version of Roth that much.

eddie does indeed sound great. not great enough for me not to view that as a trainwreck. wow.

apologies,

gary cherone

I fully expect it to be a trainwreck. That's why I bought a really good seat.

Dave would probably break a hip if he tried one of those scissor kicks today. Though I suppose that would mean he'd have at least something in common with Eddie.

Yup, it's sad ... but I'd still rather see that than the old, fat version of KISS, any day.

i do like sammy better, but i don't hate the original line-up at all. funny enough, i even enjoyed the first two or three DLR solo discs. c'mon man, you can't tell me that dave compared to

isn't a shell of it's former self.
Yup, it's sad ... but I'd still rather see that than the old, fat version of KISS, any day.
you don't need a good hip to split blood and/or breathe fire. :monkey
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

saw the 2nd half of VH's show here in Mpls tonight...

well... i'll just say that for $10, i saw the songs in bold:

01. You Really Got Me

02. I'm the One

03. Runnin' With the Devil

04. Romeo Delight

05. Somebody Get Me a Doctor

06. Beautiful Girls

07. Dance the Night Away

08. Atomic Punk

09. Everybody Wants Some

10. So This Is Love?

11. Mean Street

12. Pretty Woman

13. Drum Solo

14. Unchained

15. I'll Wait

16. And the Cradle Will Rock

17. Hot for Teacher

18. Little Dreamer

19. Little Guitars

20. Jamie's Cryin'

21. Ice Cream Man

22. Panama

23. Guitar Solo

24. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

ENCORE:

25. 1984

26. Jump

and it was worth it... but still far from great. i can't imagine having paid $93 for that ticket (even if i saw the first 10 songs (granted some of their better stuff).

not to say it was awful, but i'd definitely take either Van Hagar show i saw in '87 or '92 over this one...

Ed's solo was horrendous, especially his horrible attempt at Eruption

the encore of Jump with the VH Blimp flying around, the mirror ball, confetti, and DLR riding a giant inflatable microphone was pretty WTF? too

the $10 was mostly worth it for Jamie's Cryin' and Ain't Talkin' Bout Love. would have loved to hear Devil & Beautiful girls though. and i remembered just how awful of a song "Little Dreamer" is tonight as well.

the crowd was insanely dead too (even in the pit). the only signs of life i saw was when the synth of Jump started up.

and DLR's talking before Ice Cream Man must have been near 5-6 minutes... STFU already

Ed's solo was horrendous, especially his horrible attempt at Eruption

Yeah, I thought he was a bit sloppy at the Detroit show, but "horrendous" is a strong word.

the encore of Jump with the VH Blimp flying around, the mirror ball, confetti, and DLR riding a giant inflatable microphone was pretty WTF? too

:lol I guess I'm glad I left before that.

and i remembered just how awful of a song "Little Dreamer" is tonight as well.

Agreed, but it was DLR's best vocal work of the night, oddly enough (in Detroit, anyway).

and DLR's talking before Ice Cream Man must have been near 5-6 minutes... STFU already

:lol Seriously. Though I hadn't previously known that he could play guitar (not especially well, but he handled the acoustic opening of that song without embarrassing himself).

Meanwhile. . .

Anthony 'Totally Fine' Without Van Halen

Michael Anthony with Sammy Hagar

October 24, 2007, 11:40 AM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

Michael Anthony is getting his post-Van Halen career going in earnest.

After his acrimonious and controversial ouster from the hard rock group he helped to found -- which is currently on the road with original frontman David Lee Roth and guitarist Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang in Anthony's place -- the bassist is once again riding a hard-working sidecar to second Van Halen singer Sammy Hagar.

He's leading his own trio, Mad Anthony Express, which plays a selection of "more obscure" Van Halen tracks, including "DOA" and "Light Up the Sky," and some cover songs. On some nights Anthony and Hagar -- the only VH members to attend the group's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in March -- bring out their Los Tres Gusanos to play early Hagar material, and at every show the duo plays a set of Hagar-era Van Halen material as the Other Half.

"I'm on stage for a good part of the night," Anthony tells Billboard.com. "I'm just happy to still be out there playing. I'm having a great time doing it. It's not like we need the money; we can just go out there and party with the fans and we have a great time doing it."

Anthony says that Mad Anthony's Express, which currently features guitarist Vic Johnson and drummer John "JD" Douglas -- both from Hagar's Wabos band -- could spur him to launch his own group or recording project. "Possibly," he says. "After this tour I'm gonna check into doing some different things, doing some writing with different people. I've got a lot of friends I've made in this business. I've thought about doing something where I'd use some different people, put some original stuff or some covers stuff together and put my own twist on it. We'll see."

As for Van Halen, Anthony says he's not going out of his way to keep tabs on the group's tour but that "people tell me things, and I heard the tour's been fine." He admits he was "bummed out for a little bit" after being booted from the band -- and especially after he was temporarily replaced from album cover images on the group's Web site -- but that he's largely over it.

"I'm totally fine with it now 'cause it is what it is," Anthony explains. "There's no use dwelling on it or whining about it. The fans know the band. They know what we've done, and I'm really proud of the history of the band. But I'm focusing on having fun and doing what Sam and I are out doing right now. As long as I keep that perspective on it, that's good."

At 60, Hagar Still Ready To Rock

Sammy Hagar

October 25, 2007, 10:05 AM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

Although he was laid up recovering on the day after his 60th anniversary bash on Oct. 13 at his Cabo Wabo Cantina in Mexico, Sammy Hagar's advanced age has not slowed the Red Rocker in the slightest. In fact, he says, it's making him work that much harder.

"There's so much I want to do," Hagar tells Billboard.com, "and there's nothing I feel holding me back -- nothing with my age or my physical health or my strength or my enthusiasm, my talent. I'm having more fun that I've ever had, I gotta tell ya."

Hagar, who's currently on the road with former Van Halen bandmate Michael Anthony as his special guest, has a number of projects in the works. First among them is a new album, the follow-up to last year's "Livin' It Up." Hagar says he's about "halfway through" with it and plans to finish recording in December and January for an expected second quarter of 2008 release.

"It's quirky music," Hagar says. "It's a little bit more worldbeat and kinda harder rock, more like going back to (1981's) 'Standing Hampton' or (1984's) 'VOA' or something. Those records were very '80s, with a little bit of influence of Peter Gabriel and people like that. Now I think it's more Peter Gabriel-influenced with a hard rock edge on it."

Hagar will support the album with a summer festival tour, for which he plans an "anthology" tour that will feature the original Montrose lineup, his original Sammy Hagar Band, his current group, the Wabos, and a "superstar guitarist" that will join him and Anthony to play Van Halen material.

"I have some people in mind," Hagar reports, "but I haven't made the call yet." Hagar adds there will also be "a big, all-star jam at the end" of the show.

Hagar, who still retains a 20 percent ownership in his Cabo Wabo tequila brand, has also launched Cabo Wabo Radio, an Internet station that will offer varying levels of free and subscription services -- with an evening program broadcast live from Cabo Wabo.

One thing Hagar won't be doing, however, is Chickenfoot, the "supergroup" he talked about forming with Anthony and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith. The trio has jammed before, including at Hagar's birthday bashes, but for now, he says, the project isn't practical.

"I just can't do it," Hagar says. "There's no room in my life for another band, so that's not gonna happen."

• 2 weeks later...