Diamond Dave's fronting Van Halen again!

The Grateful Dead XM Station plays a Dead version of "Loose Lucy" with Sammy Hager sitting in, quite a bit. Never was a big fan of the song to begin with and Hager makes it even worse. I guess Hager was/is neighbor of Weir's.

Worst Dead song ever? Definitely in the running.

I think I read that Hagar was a neighbor of Garcia, and that they had discussed getting together for an informal jam, but Garcia chose death instead.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grateful Dead XM Station plays a Dead version of "Loose Lucy" with Sammy Hager sitting in, quite a bit. Never was a big fan of the song to begin with and Hager makes it even worse. I guess Hager was/is neighbor of Weir's.

I beleive that's Ratdog on Earth Day w/ Hagar. Just clarifying....

Supposedly Hagar was neighbors w/ Garcia and after JG died he was saying how he and JG were in talks about putting some music together in some band. Yep.

Heh to jff....

I liked the live versions of Loose Lucy in the 70s. Spunky and often some nice guitar work. The come-back Lucy's in the 80s were alright by me, too. The chorus has a nice family vibe, too. The album version is weak.

ede. sorry folks, should've taken this to tyhat other thread....

I beleive that's Ratdog on Earth Day w/ Hagar. Just clarifying....

Supposedly Hagar was neighbors w/ Garcia and after JG died he was saying how he and JG were in talks about putting some music together in some band. Yep.

It's definitely the Dead, at least that what my XM screen reads, might be from 2003 show. I was mistaken regarding the Weir info. Hagar did a Celebrity Guest DJ spot on the channel, he talked a lot about hanging with Weir. Hagar and Garcia would of made an interesting pairing - yikes.

Yeah, you're right, I think I remember some Atlanta show with Hagar sitting in with The Dead in, likely, 2003. I think he did another number, too (maybe JB Goode).

Yep. Also I guess he sat in the first Dead's show in San Fran. in 2003 (according to otherones.net). Did Loose Lucy, then too. Not sure which version XM plays, but I guess it doesn't manner. :lol

Worst Dead song ever? Definitely in the running.

I think I read that Hagar was a neighbor of Garcia, and that they had discussed getting together for an informal jam, but Garcia chose death instead.

jff, that is funny man. actually, i think hagar is a friend of mickey hart. the red rocker came out to sing with the other ones once. very weird. heads don't give shit about cock rock. oh well.

It's definitely the Dead, at least that what my XM screen reads, might be from 2003 show. I was mistaken regarding the Weir info. Hagar did a Celebrity Guest DJ spot on the channel, he talked a lot about hanging with Weir. Hagar and Garcia would of made an interesting pairing - yikes.

Garcia in Chickenfoot.

• 8 months later...

Van Halen To Sign With Interscope

Iconic rock group Van Halen is reportedly set to sign a new deal with Interscope Records that is expected to be finalized sometime this week. The deal would give the group an outlet to release its first album with frontman David Lee Roth since 1984.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the band was originally thought to be joining Columbia Records, but a source says that Interscope chairman "heard the band was available and wanted to work with them. It was decided at the 11th hour." It is also rumored that Roth wanted to be on a West Coast-based label, which is why the group is expected to sign with Interscope instead of Columbia.

After notching hits like "Jump" and "Hot For Teacher" on 1984's "1984," Roth split from the group in 1985, Van Halen adopted Sammy Hagar as their vocalist, and then experienced a brief period with singer Gary Cherone. Roth reunited with the group, which now includes guitarist Eddie Van Halen, bassist Wolfgang Van Halen and drummer Alex Van Halen, in 2006.

Van Halen is expected to make a special announcement at the Grammy Nominations Concert Live, set to air on CBS on Nov. 30. A rep for Interscope was not available for comment at press time.

So I wonder how long it will take David to quit or get fired this time? Anyone want to start a poll?

well...He's been back with the brothers since last 2006 and they did a pretty extensive tour...

I thought he's been in and out of the band since then and him and Eddie were still fighting. Oh well, I really should check my facts.

Nah...it's the interwebs.

• 1 month later...

Van Halen (2012 World Tour Video Announcement)

Van Halen News Desk

Scroll down and Check out Chad Smith as Will Ferrell (Elf).

Van Halen Dazzles During Intimate Reunion Concert In New York City

Dave's Uncle use to actually own Cafe Wha?

It's good to see some old school rock.

Van Halen Return with 'Tattoo' Single, Video

• 3 weeks later...

I think much like Ozzy, Dave may not be able to cut it live anymore. I guess the new album is made up of old songs from thier early days that they never put on any albums. Still - it's cool to see a real rock band out there.

My first thought was - the music sounds like the Sammy Hagar era, and the words make me think of a David Lee Roth solo album.

Van Halen (2012 World Tour Video Announcement)

Van Halen News Desk

Scroll down and Check out Chad Smith as Will Ferrell (Elf).

Van Halen Dazzles During Intimate Reunion Concert In New York City

Dave's Uncle use to actually own Cafe Wha?

It's good to see some old school rock.

Van Halen Return with 'Tattoo' Single, Video

Not a thing wrong with that...

Tattoo is a pretty lame song, by any standard. It's probably better than the new Shins song I heard, though :headbonk . I hope to see VH, since they were my first favorite band as a kid, I've never seen them, and they're playing the night after my 40th birthday. Hopefully, they'll go very light on the new material.