Diamond Dave's fronting Van Halen again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Van Halen Beefs Up 2008 Itinerary

David Lee Roth

November 26, 2007, 8:00 PM ET

Chris M. Walsh, N.Y.

Van Halen has added 23 new U.S. dates to its reunion tour with original lead singer David Lee Roth, extending the trek into April.

Beyond the five shows added in mid-November, the Live Nation-produced trek featuring Roth, Eddie and Alex Van Halen and Eddie Van Halen's teenage son Wolfgang on bass will visit new markets such as New Orleans and Providence R.I., while making repeat visits to New York, Chicago and East Rutherford, N.J.

The current tour is Roth's first with the Van Halen brothers in more than 20 years and has grossed $25.5 million from 18 shows between Sept. 27 and Nov. 10, according to Billboard Boxscore.

The full slate of 2008 shows is:

Jan. 22: Oklahoma City (Ford Center)

Jan. 24: San Antonio (AT&T Center)

Jan. 26: Dallas (American Airlines Center)

Jan. 28: Houston (Toyota Center)

Feb. 1: Denver (Pepsi Center)

Feb. 4: Omaha, Neb. (Qwest Event Center)

Feb. 8: New Orleans (New Orleans Arena)

Feb. 12: Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. (BankAtlantic Center)

Feb. 14: Orlando, Fla. (Amway Arena)

Feb. 16: Jacksonville, Fla. (Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena)

Feb. 18: Tampa, Fla. (St. Pete Times Forum)

Feb. 22: Charlottesville, Va. (John Paul Jones Arena)

Mar. 5: Cincinnati (US Bank Arena)

Mar. 7: Raleigh, N.C. (RBC Center)

Mar. 9: Baltimore (1st Mariner Arena)

Mar. 11: Manchester, N.H. (Verizon Wireless Arena)

Mar. 13: East Rutherford, N.J. (Izod Center)

Mar. 17: New York (Madison Square Garden)

Mar. 19: Hershey, Pa. (Giant Center)

Mar. 21: Pittsburgh (Mellon Arena)

Mar. 24: Providence, R.I. (Dunkin Donuts Center)

Mar. 26: Uncasville, Conn. (Mohegan Sun Arena)

Mar. 28: Atlantic City, N.J. (Boardwalk Hall)

Mar. 30: St. Louis (Scottrade Center)

Apr. 1: Columbus, Ohio (Value City Arena)

Apr. 3: Chicago (Allstate Arena)

Apr. 5: Grand Rapids, Mich. (Van Andel Arena)

Apr. 7: Milwaukee (Bradley Center)

Van Halen Beefs Up 2008 Itinerary

Oh God, I knew as soon as I saw that..."They are coming to Charlottesville"

Sure enough.

Damn.

I cannot get used to these big bands coming to my little town.

I'll pass, wait two months and see Bruce here...which also blows my mind. :blink

Oh God, I knew as soon as I saw that..."They are coming to Charlottesville"

Sure enough.

Damn.

I cannot get used to these big bands coming to my little town.

I'll pass, wait two months and see Bruce here...which also blows my mind. :blink

John Paul Jones has his own arena in Charlottesville? :ninja

• 2 years later...

Warner/Chappell Music says Van Halen will have an album out next year! (by way of the Van Halen News Desk)

Van Halen has extended their agreement with Warner/Chappell Music, which is an American music publishing company, and a division of the Warner Music Group. The press release is below. The most important part to Van Halen fans is the very last sentence of the release:

“The group is currently in the studio recording an album with Roth that is due for release in 2011.”

Where is this news coming from? This news is NOT coming from the band. It originated on the Warner/Chappell Music website yesterday.

Does this mean Van Halen will definitely release an album next year? Not necessarily.

On the positive side of things, a division of Warner Music Group is saying that Van Halen will have an album out next year, so that’s (yet another) great sign!

But on the negative side, Warner/Chappel got some basic facts about Van Halen wrong in their story, so one could question what they are basing their “new album” statement on. Are they basing it on the band’s actual plans, or did an intern simply google the latest news on the band and end up adding a mere rumor to their press release? Hopefully a new Van Halen album will come to fruition and it will turn out that they were right.

Van Halen remains silent. VHND emailed Janie Van Halen today asking for a statement, but they aren’t talking.

The press release:

Warner/Chappell Music has extended its administration agreements with two original members of the legendary rock band VAN HALEN, Eddie and Alex Van Halen. Under the agreement, Warner/Chappell will continue to administer their catalog of works.

The Grammy Award-winning VAN HALEN was formed in 1972 in Pasadena, California and released its first album in 1978, quickly becoming one of the most influential rock bands in history. In 2007, after more than three decades dazzling audiences with their energetic performances and establishing their catalog of songs as one of the most enduring in the history of popular music, VAN HALEN was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

With 11 studio albums, VAN HALEN is the 19th best-selling group of all time in the U.S., according to the RIAA, with more than 56 million albums sold in the U.S., 10 of them certified platinum or multi-platinum, six albums that reached No. 1 on The Billboard 200 and two of them, “Van Halen” and “1984?, achieving diamond certification. VAN HALEN has been nominated multiple times by the American Music Awards and, in 1992, won “Favorite Heavy Metal/Rock Album” for the album “For Unlawful Carnage Knowledge”.

“It’s fantastic to continue our relationship with VAN HALEN, which is one of the most enduring and successful partnerships within our roster of songwriters,” said Scott Francis, President, Warner/Chappell Music, and Chairman and CEO, Warner/Chappell Music U.S. “Since its inception, VAN HALEN has written driving melodic rock songs performed in groundbreaking style.”

During its more than three decades as a band, VAN HALEN has featured a number of different lineups and three different lead singers, and throughout has produced a string of multiplatinum albums that contained numerous No. 1 singles, including “Jump”, “(Oh) Pretty Woman”, “Why Can’t This Be Love?”, “Humans Being”, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and “Me Wise Magic”.

Most recently, the band toured with founding brothers, Eddie and Alex Van Halen, its original lead singer, David Lee Roth, and Eddie’s son, Wolfgang, playing bass. The group is currently in the studio recording an album with Roth that is due for release in 2011.

Anyone ever hear about Eddie Van Halen being a replacement for Ace Frehley when he left KISS? This would have been circa '82, so he and Dave were certainly going at it around that time. Imagine how different the future of both bands would have been.

The only possible way it could be good is if Rick Rubin produces it and works his magic of bringing them back to their roots. And get Ted Templeton to engineer so maybe they can get back to that VH1 or VH2 guitar sound. Ditch the keyboards on this one and just rip.

But no, it's pretty much going to have to suck.

It'd be awesome if they approached it 180º from the angle of most dinosaur reunion projects and did something that could actually speak to longtime fans instead of just doing what they think is expected of them. I'd love to hear a frothy single in the vein of Beautiful Girls/Little Guitars filled with tasty licks and sentiments that address their legacy and age - some shit like "We fought like mothers over Cabbage Patch Kids/On Christmas Eve/Now we're touring off the highest bids/We're never gonna leave!!" (cue Eddie wail). But they're probably going to try to rock our faces off and it will be awful like Me Wise Magic.

Little Dreamer came on the radio the other day and it took me right back to being a very young kid and listening to that record on headphones in bed at night after my mom made me go to bed. That is an excellent debut and an excellent rock record.

Little Dreamer came on the radio the other day and it took me right back to being a very young kid and listening to that record on headphones in bed at night after my mom made me go to bed. That is an excellent debut and an excellent rock record.

Indeed. I had a similar experience: listening to Runnin' With The Devil and the VH cover of You Really Got Me on the FM radio station, also with headphones, after "lights out." That was a great era to grow up when it came to radio. I feel sorry for the kids today growing up on such shitty pop music.

Little Dreamer. What a wonderful song. I'll need to pull out some VH when I get home.

The other important point is Michael Anthony added a ton to their sound vocally that they won't be able to duplicate without him. I doubt Wolfie can hit them high notes.

And Little Dreamer is a pretty great song.

• 6 months later...

Excerpts from Sammy Hagar's book. Sounds like Eddie iswas a pretty screwed up individual:

Sammy Hagar book excerpts

Might be more appropriate since his stint in rehab.

Before rehab:

ny10703090648.grid-4x2.jpg

After rehab:

eddie_van_halen.jpg

It's funny that they use the VH excerpts to push the book. Not his time in Montrose or his solo career. And lastly, a guy who owned a tequila company, and has a ton of songs about drinking and parting is going to jump on a dude who has a problem? Seems a bit odd. Sammy has always seemed sort of fake to me. I like the first Montrose album. Other than that, he does not do anything for me.

It's funny that they use the VH excerpts to push the book. Not his time in Montrose or his solo career. And lastly, a guy who owned a tequila company, and has a ton of songs about drinking and parting is going to jump on a dude who has a problem? Seems a bit odd. Sammy has always seemed sort of fake to me. I like the first Montrose album. Other than that, he does not do anything for me.

I absolutely agree with this and I really don't have much interest in reading this book. I have to say though, blame it on drugs or whatever (there had to be more than alcohol going on there) but Eddie has come across as a real douche as well over the years. I wonder if Wolfie will be writing a book in 10 years or so.

Some of those passages read about the same as some of the stuff in Dave's book.

From what I have read, Alex has been clean for several years now. It seems Eddie may be also. Supposedly, they are working on a new VH album with Dave.

I absolutely agree with this and I really don't have much interest in reading this book. I have to say though, blame it on drugs or whatever (there had to be more than alcohol going on there) but Eddie has come across as a real douche as well over the years. I wonder if Wolfie will be writing a book in 10 years or so.

Eddie and Dave have always seemed like douches, but neither can hold a candle to Sammy, in my opinion.

I'm just happy that I got to see DLR fronting VH, even if it was 25 years too late.

The Grateful Dead XM Station plays a Dead version of "Loose Lucy" with Sammy Hager sitting in, quite a bit. Never was a big fan of the song to begin with and Hager makes it even worse. I guess Hager was/is neighbor of Weir's.

I agree with A-Man, writing about a dude's problem is pretty lame, but of course it sells.

I saw Van Halen in 91 in Carbondale, I had a free ticket. It was decent enough show from what I remember