Diamond Dave's fronting Van Halen again!

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when Van Halen drops A Different Kind of Truth in February, I’ll check it out. I won’t fret if it sucks.

I agree with this sentiment.

I read somewhere that album was recorded all live in the studio. The thing about some of those songs is the fact that the arrangements seem to go south some times.

I am thinking of Hear About It Later - it's grooving along, and then there is that terrible breakdown part towards the end.

Yeah, Patton Oswalt definitely doesn't have the voice for it.

Harsh dude, harsh.

As someone who has been called a cross between Nathan Lane, Anson Williams and Jonathan Frakes, I can sympathize with the Wolfman.

As if he didn't have enough to live up to having a guitar god as a dad, he is a pudgy kid with long hair.

^ And how should Patton Oswalt feel reading that?

You may be a wondrous looking, svelt, greek god...but those of us who aren't are usually fully aware of our shortcomings.

• 1 month later...
A Different Kind Of Truth is good stuff. Incredible, but true.

Yeah. Why they thought it was a good idea to release "Tattoo" as the first single is beyond me as it's the worst thing on the album.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/turnitup/chi-van-halen-concert-review-van-halen-at-the-united-center-reviewed-20120224,0,6660031.column

Near the end of the set, he commanded the stage by himself for seven minutes. First he flopped down on the stairs leading up to the drums like a kid in his bedroom: a boyish grin, jeans, gym shoes, and his guitar. He tap-danced on the strings, then drifted off into a space odyssey that suggested a soundtrack for an unmade science-fiction movie. He swiveled, wielding the guitar like a weapon, emitting a low, moaning chord that reverberated around the arena. He’s that rare ’70s guitar icon who still sounds like the future.

greg@gregkot.com

Nice review of last night's Chicago show - perhaps not such a glowing one with regards to Roth, though. Above is a nicely written final paragraph.

I was at the show last night. DLR had some real technical issues. How related those were to his egomaniacal behavior and poor vocal performance I can't say, but I walked away from the concert knowing I had just seen the worst performance by an arena vocalist that I had ever seen (and I go to arena shows a lot). Still fun, but wow, just wow DLR. Greg cuts him too much slack in the review.

yea, i've been loving the album and wearing it out on repeat.... wishing i was going to the DC show, but also kinda knowing that DLR will sound like shit, and i can see the DVD for $15 at the end of the year. he's kinda cringe-worthy in spots on the album (mostly for being creepy; sonically he's generally fine on the record) but the music jams so hard i LIKE the idea of seeing the show, but gonna save my money.

got 2 good seats for the Avett Brother for way less than what i'd have to pay for one VH ticket.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

if you want to see them with Diamond Dave you better get your ass in gear:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/van-halen-postpone-summer-tour-dates-20120517

all dates from June 26th on have been "postponed", but sounds like the reunion is over to me. shocker

dates still on:

5/19 — St. Paul, Minn., Xcel Energy Center

5/22 — Kansas City, Mo., Sprint Center

5/24 — Denver, Colo., Pepsi Center

5/27 — Las Vegas, Nev., MGM Grand Garden Arena

6/1 — Los Angeles, Calif., Staples Center

6/3 — Oakland, Calif., Oracle Arena

6/5 — San Jose, Calif., HP Pavilion

6/12 — Anaheim, Calif, Honda Center

6/14 — San Diego, Calif – Viejas Arena

6/16 — Phoenix, Ariz., US Airways Center

6/20 — Dallas, Texas, American Airlines Center

6/22 — San Antonio, Texas, AT&T Center

6/24 — Houston, Texas, Toyota Center

6/26 — New Orleans, La., New Orleans Arena

Dates that have been cancelled:

7/7 — Uncasville, Ct., Mohegan Sun Arena

7/9 — Hampton, Va., Hampton Coliseum

7/11 — Philadelphia, Pa., Wells Fargo Center

7/13 — East Rutherford, N.J., Izod Center

7/15 — Baltimore, Md., 1st Mariner Arena

7/17 — Rochester N.Y., Blue Cross Arena

7/19 — Detroit, Mich., Joe Louis Arena

7/21 — London, Ontario, John Labatt Centre

7/24 — Toledo, Ohio, Huntington Center

7/26 — Grand Rapids, Mich., Van Andel Arena

7/28 — Cleveland, Ohio, Quicken Loans Arena

7/31 — Fort Wayne, Ind., Allen County Memorial Coliseum

8/2 — Columbus, Ohio, Schottenstein Center

8/4 — Knoxville, Tenn., Thompson-Boiling Arena

8/6 — Memphis, Tenn., FedEx Forum

8/8 — Birmingham, Ala., BJCC Arena

8/10 — Greenville, S.C., BI-LO Center

8/12 — Cincinnati, Ohio, US Bank Arena

8/21 — Spokane, Wash., Spokane Arena

8/23 — Portland, Ore., Rose Garden

8/25 — Sacramento, Calif.,Power Balance Pavilion

8/28 — Fresno, Calif., Save Mart Center

8/30 — Reno, Nev., Reno Events Center

9/4 — Salt Lake City, Utah — EnergySolutions Arena

9/8 — Albuquerque, N.M., Tingley Coliseum

9/11 — El Paso, Texas, Don Haskins Center

9/13 — Austin, Texas, Frank Erwin Center

9/15 — Oklahoma City, Okla., Chesapeake Energy Arena

9/17 — Wichita, Kan. – Intrust Bank Arena

9/21 — Moline, Ill., Iwireless Center

9/25 — Milwaukee, Wis., Bradley Center

After watching some video from the recent tour, I have a feeling the band may be maxed out on putting up with Dave's antics. I guess it could be they are wore our or something.

After watching some video from the recent tour, I have a feeling the band may be maxed out on putting up with Dave's antics. I guess it could be they are wore our or something.

I have always had the feeling that Dave would be easier to get along with than Eddie although I'm sure Dave is plenty annoying to be around for large chunks of time. Maybe now that Eddie is clean that is not so much the case.