Diamond Dave's fronting Van Halen again!

That Sammy Hagar stuff is bland as hell - but they sure sounded a lot better on stage - going from the live video stuff I have seen. I doubt DLR can sing very well anymore - rather like Vince Neil - not much of a singer to begin with. I suppose it is all about big rock fun at the end of the day.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Sammy Hagar stuff is bland as hell - but they sure sounded a lot better on stage - going from the live video stuff I have seen. I doubt DLR can sing very well anymore - rather like Vince Neil - not much of a singer to begin with. I suppose it is all about big rock fun at the end of the day.

there was still some fucking truly great songs during the Van Hagar era... especially on 5150 and F.U.C.K.

Roth was the showman, but i think Hagar has the better pipes (certainly now he does)

Phil Collins singing "Dreams."

That's the song that pops into my head every time I think about Hagar-era Van Halen (well, that and "Poundcake"). What a shitty, shitty song that is. And I didn't have MTV then, but wasn't there a Top Gun-esque video with the Blue Angels or something?

Awful.

I'd much rather see and old, balding DLR struggle to sing "Unchained" while doing bad karate kicks. Like Paul Weller used to say, THAT'S entertainment.

there was still some fucking truly great songs during the Van Hagar era... especially on 5150 and F.U.C.K.

Roth was the showman, but i think Hagar has the better pipes (certainly now he does)

dead on. sammy also played guitar as well, at least circa-5150, which added an little extra something as well. like him or not, sammy is a musician and dave is (one hell of a) entertainer. i saw them on the OU812 tour and it still one of the best shows i've ever seen...or at least, some of the most fun i've ever had at a show.

dead on. sammy also played guitar as well, at least circa-5150, which added an little extra something as well. like him or not, sammy is a musician and dave is (one hell of a) entertainer. i saw them on the OU812 tour and it still one of the best shows i've ever seen...or at least, some of the most fun i've ever had at a show.

i saw them in '86 and '92 w/ Sammy, both were amazing. the '86 show was on Sammy's b-day and they dug out some crazy shit and played forever.

i'm sure those early shows w/ Dave were just incredible too, but probably as much due to the rest of the band's youth than Roth's energy.

I'll give Sammy credit for being quite a guitarist in his own right, but I never much liked Montrose or his solo material, and I found the Van Hagar stuff downright annoying.

Hard to believe Sammy turns 60 later this year. Roth is seven years younger, but you'd never know it.

I will probably pony up the $125 for a decent seat, just because I've said for the last twenty years that if Van Halen ever toured again with David Lee Roth, I wanted to go. I just didn't think it would take this long to actually happen.

There are "VIP" ticket packages that guarantee better seats, but one is $350 (*cough*) and the other (which includes backstage access) is $650 (:dead).

You know my take on all of this - Gary Cherone.

To me those Sam era songs are sort of a hard edged Journey or something.

My Dad can't stop talking about this reunion, but he heard somewhere that ticket prices for the Toronto show range from $70-$199....and he's debating whether or not to go. It sucks for him if he can't go, but I'm sort of relieved as I think he would have made me come with him, and I am not a fan.

You know my take on all of this - Gary Cherone.

It's the sythesizer. Awful.

P.S. "Jump" is awful too. "And the Cradle Will Rock" isn't awful though, but I think that might be an organ run through a distortion pedal and not a sythesizer.

some of them, sure...but they started heading that direction before roth quit. plus, there are some tracks on all of those hagar releases that have balls, they just never made it on MTV or the radio.

also, i like 'poundcake'. even though ed ripped the whole drill thing off of paul gilbert/racer x. :ermm

P.S. "Jump" is awful too. "And the Cradle Will Rock" isn't awful though, but I think that might be an organ run through a distortion pedal and not a sythesizer.

Chuck Klosterman makes a fantastic argument that "...And The Cradle Will Rock" is the definition of a mediocre rock song, by which all other rock songs should be judged. If a song is better than ATCWR, it is a good song. If it is worse, then it is a bad song. Probably the best bit the guy ever came up with.

Chuck Klosterman makes a fantastic argument that "...And The Cradle Will Rock" is the definition of a mediocre rock song, by which all other rock songs should be judged. If a song is better than ATCWR, it is a good song. If it is worse, then it is a bad song. Probably the best bit the guy ever came up with.

That's pretty brilliant. Too bad he looks like an ugly East German girl.

I guess they have something for everyone - maybe it depends on one's age at the time or what one was into at the time. During the 5150 era - I was probably listening to real heavy type metal. I don't think I ever really heard the other VH albums - until VH III. I will say that I like several VH songs - but a lot of them seem to fall apart at the end. The Sammy Hagar era certainly took care of that - good solid arangements. It will be interesting to see what they sound like now.