• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Arcade Fire fans and vinyl aficionados, We are sad to report that the LP version of Arcade Fire's "Neon Bible" has met some manufacturing delays and we (or anyone else online/stores/anywhere) will be unable to ship your pre-order until 6 to 8 weeks after the March 6 release date. In order to make the delay slightly more bearable we will be sending on March 2 to each and every one of you - individually - a code and download instructions that will enable you to get your free MP3 version of "Neon Bible" from us on the release date. As soon as the vinyl arrives to us, we will ship it out to you!
  • 1 month later...

So pitchfork gave this an 8.4. That seems about right to me. I dont agree with most of the reviewer's critiques, but I suppose it's as close to a review that I can get behind as any other on pitchfork.

On constant repeat right now in the MattZ world: SBS and Neon Bible.

So pitchfork gave this an 8.4. That seems about right to me. I dont agree with most of the reviewer's critiques, but I suppose it's as close to a review that I can get behind as any other on pitchfork.

On constant repeat right now in the MattZ world: SBS and Neon Bible.

i'd say it's about .4-.5 too low, but can't complain too much. i'd rate Funeral a few points lower than they did too though

the review is decent, but seems to do a decent job at downplaying the record, or at least the buzz behind it.

i'd say it's about .4-.5 too low, but can't complain too much. i'd rate Funeral a few points lower than they did too though

the review is decent, but seems to do a decent job at downplaying the record, or at least the buzz behind it.

Yeah, I am with you solace. If I were to play the silly game of assigning numerical values to music, then I'd probably be in the 8.8 range. That sounds right.

I totally disagreed with the reviewer's point about the "mirror mirror on the wall" line. I think its great. Its in Black Mirror, and it conjures up the perfect Snow White image. Then you've got the king taking back the throne in Intervention, and the "if my mockingbird don't sing/buy me a diamond ring" reference later in the album. I love it. Totally consistent with an interesting theme of the album.

I am such a sucker. I love the whole "special limited edition" ripoff. I tried to be a good fan, bought the special edition from the website, and the "special" CD I got in the mail today comes with a cheesey poster thats already in the trash, and two lame flipbooks. Yeah, flipbooks. The things that you flip the pages on and it shows moving pictures.

Haha. Its a good thing I love this album, but next time, I buy the regular CD (and/or vinyl).

Numerical ranking whatevers aside, I thought Deusner's review was really great. I don't agree with his criticisms of the lyrics, but I thought he really captured the spirit of the album in words. Measured and agreeable, I'd say.

I am such a sucker. I love the whole "special limited edition" ripoff. I tried to be a good fan, bought the special edition from the website, and the "special" CD I got in the mail today comes with a cheesey poster thats already in the trash, and two lame flipbooks. Yeah, flipbooks. The things that you flip the pages on and it shows moving pictures.

Haha. Its a good thing I love this album, but next time, I buy the regular CD (and/or vinyl).

Interesting. I, too, am a sucker for that crap and assumed that I would buy the special edition on my way home tonight. Maybe I'll just go with the regular version ...

The review that best summarized my feelings about the album was the one on Cokemachineglow. 75% sounds right to me.

Check it out here.

I suppose I can't argue with much of that review. If the album suffers from anything it's that the themes of hypocrisy and paranoia get a bit tiresome after awhile and some of the lines come off as high-schoolish (esp. "I dont want to live in America no more"). But I love how people are latching onto the "miror mirror on the wall" line too. As I mentioned above, I took that line totally differently than the reviewers seem to be taking it, and actually thought it was kind of cool.

Interesting. I, too, am a sucker for that crap and assumed that I would buy the special edition on my way home tonight. Maybe I'll just go with the regular version ...

not worth it, just buy the 7.99 regular edition

one is a small flipbook of the neon bible on the front - you already have the 3d or whatever sticker that changes when you look at if from different angles. then the other little book is a bunch of pages of pictures that are of the same thing and just barely different - but they don't seem to be in any type of progression. i could have sworn someone described it as 40 pages of photos handpicked by the band. it is not this at all. the repetitive photos are nothing interesting to look at at all. then there is a book with lyrics that i'm guessing is probably the same as the normal edition.

I like this album quite a bit, and I think that more listens will only further my enjoyment. I see this translating into some really great live moments. Hopefully they're pretty active in the midwest this summer.

not worth it, just buy the 7.99 regular edition

one is a small flipbook of the neon bible on the front - you already have the 3d or whatever sticker that changes when you look at if from different angles. then the other little book is a bunch of pages of pictures that are of the same thing and just barely different - but they don't seem to be in any type of progression. i could have sworn someone described it as 40 pages of photos handpicked by the band. it is not this at all. the repetitive photos are nothing interesting to look at at all. then there is a book with lyrics that i'm guessing is probably the same as the normal edition.

they're flip books, hold it up to your eye and flip through the pages and you'll see the animations :)

I like this album quite a bit, and I think that more listens will only further my enjoyment. I see this translating into some really great live moments. Hopefully they're pretty active in the midwest this summer.

don't count on it, they're playing Euro festivals all summer pretty much

fall likely