• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know the bible one is a flip book. lame-o. the other one progresses? it just seems like random to me. i'll never look at them again unless i want to ask myself, "was that really what came with the special edition?"

i know the bible one is a flip book. lame-o. the other one progresses? it just seems like random to me. i'll never look at them again unless i want to ask myself, "was that really what came with the special edition?"

Yeah i was pretty bummed out by the "deluxe edition" which was said to have a wooden case not the cardboard one it came with.

Yeah i was pretty bummed out by the "deluxe edition" which was said to have a wooden case not the cardboard one it came with.

wooden?

huh?

The Deluxe CD Edition is packaged in a hinged box with two 32-page flip books designed by the band and will have a special preorder price of $15 through 3/20 ($2 off)
I seem to be the only person I know who the album is not connecting with. It just isn't hitting me as hard as Funeral did. :ohwell

not true. this album isn't anywhere close to funeral. it's not hitting me like funeral did either. i'm even kinda iffy about this album. :unsure

The highs on the new album aren't as high as they were on Funeral, but it's chockful of good songs.

This sounds like a band that is a little less confident than they were on Funeral. They seem slightly uncomfortable with their status as a "new-classic" band after one album, and so they don't seem sure whether to take that and run with it with huge, bombastic anthems like "Antichrist" or "No Cars Go" or go more lowkey with songs like "Neon Bible" or "My Body Is A Cage", so most of the time they settle for something in the middle. Nothing as gripping as "Neighborhood 1" or "Power Out", both of which knocked me on my ass the first time I heard them and still do, but there is nothing wrong with a collection of often great songs.

I will say that when they go for the huge, anthemic anthems, they tend to get it right, and have since the first album.

The line "Working for the church while your life falls apart, singin' hallelujah with the fear in your heart" still gets me every time I listen to "Intervention".

I suppose I can't argue with much of that review. If the album suffers from anything it's that the themes of hypocrisy and paranoia get a bit tiresome after awhile and some of the lines come off as high-schoolish (esp. "I dont want to live in America no more"). But I love how people are latching onto the "miror mirror on the wall" line too. As I mentioned above, I took that line totally differently than the reviewers seem to be taking it, and actually thought it was kind of cool.

Hmm, I like that cokemachineglow review - but I think he's wrong dissing the organ. I get reminded of the extremely plodding 'Great Protestant Hymns' of like, Virgil Fox. It's what you heard every Sunday growing up English in Westmount - Montreal's affluent Anglais section. I get the feeling that the reviewer is comparing the organ parts to some funky Hammond B3 line in a Motown piece and you can't really do that without being unfair. Neon Bible takes a 'High Anglican' sound and appropriately puts in into an album of protest and lament.

Love the thing, much more than Funeral. Its seems to yell Anglo-Montreal and it's smart, but willingly overwhelmed English speaking minority. I expected Arcade Fire to blow us all away but I swear they've gone beyond all of that.

I haven't listened to the advance versions of these songs, it got too complicated how it all leaked in spurts, so I just didn't bother with any of it until I picked it up this weekend in Chicago at Reckless. Popped it in the car CD player on the drive home in the wee dark hours of Sunday morning, and ...

:omg

... stunning! Had to play it twice through. Wow! I can't wait for the show in May. And I agree "My Body is a Cage" is stellar.

after dissing them once I watched the SNL performance, I've heard many songs and decided to purchase it at a locally owned record store. $10.99. I'm digging it. I think Intervention is my fave.

Intervention has definitely worked its way into my head... there's something about that massive organ sound that just gets me every time!

That part always reminds me of these Bach organ pieces that we've listened to in class. I love it too.

1. Notorious BIG - Greatest Hits 99,490

2. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible 83,165

3. Daughtry - Daughtry 80,811

4. Akon - Konvicted 75,704

5. Gary Allan - Greatest Hits 70,454

6. Relient K - Five Score & Seven Years Ago 70,405

7. Norah Jones - Not Too Late 61,403

8. Fall Out Boy - Infinity On High 58,976

9. Robin Thicke - The Evolution of Robin Thicke 49,539

10. Korn - MTV Unplugged 49,339

1. Notorious BIG - Greatest Hits 99,490

2. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible 83,165

3. Daughtry - Daughtry 80,811

4. Akon - Konvicted 75,704

5. Gary Allan - Greatest Hits 70,454

6. Relient K - Five Score & Seven Years Ago 70,405

7. Norah Jones - Not Too Late 61,403

8. Fall Out Boy - Infinity On High 58,976

9. Robin Thicke - The Evolution of Robin Thicke 49,539

10. Korn - MTV Unplugged 49,339

Thats pretty damn impressive. :worship

Now let's see if they have chart staying power...

:w00t

i was shocked when i went in the store yesterday and i saw them in the #4 spot (apparently fye's list is different). made me happy.

OT- whenever wilco puts a new record out, i take it upon myself to move the actual #1 record and put the wilco record in it's place....

nope

they'll drop off big next week. maybe top 25 if they're lucky

Oh well, it's fun to know that for one week everyone else has the same taste as you.

Ok, important question.

Somehow, there are still tickets available for their show in Atlanta. I'm not entirely sure I will be able to go to the show, but I'm going to try hard to make it. Should I buy the tickets anyways?

Oh well, it's fun to know that for one week everyone else has the same taste as you.

Ok, important question.

Somehow, there are still tickets available for their show in Atlanta. I'm not entirely sure I will be able to go to the show, but I'm going to try hard to make it. Should I buy the tickets anyways?

Fuck it, I can't afford it, but that didn't stop me from going to the Tweedy show. I'm considering making a week out of it and staying until the 5th to see Modest Mouse, though that's probably pushing it.

Do it. If you can't make it to the show, those tix should be pretty easy to unload.

They sold out 3 shows here in minutes, so I'm not catching them this time around, but I saw them on the Funeral tour, and they are not to be missed if you can help it.