Various Wilco Demos, Downloads, Etc.

Many thanks for this thread and the generosity of all the fans who've taken the time to do this.

One question though: I realise FLACs are high quality, but I am under the impression (please correct me if I'm wrong) that they are compressed WAV files. Why aren't the d/ls in WAV format instead? I realise it's a little bigger for storage but it is a much easier format for the average person to use, therefore meaning that more people could take advantage of this. I'm a pretty adept PC user and it took me a while to get converting up and running.

Also: I am finding the conversion of shn files (specifically the YHF Demos) to be a bit mind-boggling. Is there any chance these could be re-hosted as FLACs or WAVs? I know it is a bit of an ask after you've already done so much work here. Alternately if someone could B&P me the FLACs/WAVs on a DVD-R that would be a huge favour.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have not put any shows in the folder yet. I may get to it sometime this month.

Below are all the shows we have collected and uploaded to The Wilco Live Show Archive from July 2021-January 2022:    

Posted Images

Many thanks for this thread and the generosity of all the fans who've taken the time to do this.

One question though: I realise FLACs are high quality, but I am under the impression (please correct me if I'm wrong) that they are compressed WAV files. Why aren't the d/ls in WAV format instead? I realise it's a little bigger for storage but it is a much easier format for the average person to use, therefore meaning that more people could take advantage of this. I'm a pretty adept PC user and it took me a while to get converting up and running.

Also: I am finding the conversion of shn files (specifically the YHF Demos) to be a bit mind-boggling. Is there any chance these could be re-hosted as FLACs or WAVs? I know it is a bit of an ask after you've already done so much work here. Alternately if someone could B&P me the FLACs/WAVs on a DVD-R that would be a huge favour.

Basically, here's how it works. I download them and then upload them. Literally, 99% of the time, I don't even convert or listen to them, and I delete the files from my hard drive as soon as they're uploaded.

So, the reasons are twofold. One is because WAVs are larger files. The second is because I just don't have the time to do the extra conversions. The resources are out there.

:cheers

I''ve found and tried Trader's Little Helper a program I've found through wikipedia's entry on shn files and google. Tested it out on one file and seems to be working. Much easier than going into DOS etc as listed further up in the thread.

Thanks.

PS - Owl: Podcast on Owl and Bear looks good - must give it a d/l tomorrow.

On the Morgantown show that Analogman so generously posted:

I've tried downloading all the files multiple times from the Sendspace links and each time they are almost finish downloading, it says "decompression failed." Is it something I am doing wrong, or is it the site? I've downloaded tons of stuff from sendspace before and have never gotten that message.

Owl, do you plan on hosting this show on your site? If so, I can just get it from there at some point.

I''ve found and tried Trader's Little Helper a program I've found through wikipedia's entry on shn files and google. Tested it out on one file and seems to be working. Much easier than going into DOS etc as listed further up in the thread.

Thanks.

PS - Owl: Podcast on Owl and Bear looks good - must give it a d/l tomorrow.

For the podcast, I take suggestions too. In fact, I like suggestions!

DOS shouldn't even be an option for SHN files. I can't imagine that a format I've used on Mac for a decade still requires DOS on a PC! Glad you found something useful.

Winamp plays and burns all your Flac,Shn,MP3.MP3 pro,Mp4,AAC etc.So no need to Decode,Encode,Transcode or any Code at all.However the free version of Winamp is pretty slow I for Myself prefer Jetaudio(except for Shorten or AAC)

DAangerer09 You do need a so called Download Manager which picks up the broken link automaticly(Getright,Flashget etc.)right now I'm using Orbit so I can also grab Flashfiles,Streams etc

Most of these free proggies can be found here:http://www.download.com

In case You ever wanna know somethin'about solving an extention problem find your answer here:http://filext.com/ :thumbup

Listening:

Hi,

I know this sounds really stupid, but I'm not much of a computer guy. I posted about trying to download the More Like the Moon EP and I know you directed me to that page where one can download, but when I clicked on the "link" it gave me a list of the songs but I just got computer jibberish when I clicked on the individual songs. I tried emailing the people at Wilco world but the email was returned. Thanks for patiently reading this. John

• 2 weeks later...

...and I make my appearance on this forum.

I would like to give a big heartfelt "thank you" to those that have made the various FLAC shows and demos available of Wilco, Tweedy, Uncle Tupelo, etc. I've had the two versions of YHF demos for some time, but the upgrade was very nice indeed. I can't tell you how much I've been enjoying the various Tweedy shows these past few weeks. (I'm still kicking myself for not going to see him when he was in Nashville in January. But, in my defense, I did have a huge reading exam as part of my doctoral studies that week...I certainly had my academic blinders on that month.)

Any way...in order to pay it forward, as it were, I will send 2 DVDRs of all the Jeff Tweedy shows currently hosted on owlandbear.com to the first three people that PM me (that's nearly 7 GB of unadulterated goodness). Since there will still be a bit of room on one of the DVDs you can make some requests, especially if you don't have the YHF or Summerteeth Demos.

You will need to convert the FLAC and SHN files yourself. I recommend dB poweramp for coversion. Trust me, it's worth the $18 (plus I believe you get a 30 day free trial).

I am hoping that those that PM me are ones that would download these files if they could but otherwise cannot. (Being lazy is not a very good reason.) I may even be able to get these in the mail tomorrow or the next day if I get quick responses.

You know what, you're absolutely right. The $18 fee is to register the mp3 license with the dB poweramp program. I guess I just like to be able to do the whole FLAC to mp3 conversion in one swift move...even though I probably have four or five different WAV > mp3 converters. Oh well.

Welp... I'm on a mac and I right-click the supposed FLAC file (I've tried many from previous posts and on the owl & the bear) download the file, then try to drag it into the "decode" section in my newly downloaded "xACT" program. From here, I am told "Can't make

Sorry and I'm new to this and really want some of these files but still dont quite understand how to download them. I have a mac, and got XacT or whatever to get these Flacs, which should work. The problem is that when they are downloaded from the owl and the bear or whatever it is called they are downloaded as .txt.flacs which means they cant be decoded in XaCT and are really jsut big blocks of text. am i doing something wrong? or is it just not gonna work on a mac? any help would be greatly appreciated, just want to get my hands on as much wilco as possible. thanks.just looked up and saw that the guy above me has exactly the same question i do. whoops. still though, any help?

Hey, can anyone help me find a song? I'm looking for the weird version of "Heavy Metal Drummer." I remeber someone once calling the 'Goth' version. Anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, mind posting an MP3? :pray Thanks so much!!