Are there any other boards out there that are as active and passionate as Via Chicago (specifically designated in honor of a single band?) I know there are music discussions going on around the net...what have you seen/heard?

Sometimes I close my eyes and pretend there is an Arcade Fire board somewhere where everyone is going nuts over Neon Bible and Wilco occasionally get's mentioned in a "Their Funeral" section designated for "Non-Arcade Fire Related Music Posts."

EDIT: I just checked and there is in fact an Arcade Fire forum called "Us Kids Know" but, don't worry, it doesn't compare to VC.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. We are the shizznick.

GloNo is a great music site and their msg board regulars are funny, smart, and cool. I used to post there quite often, but I haven't had much to add to the conversation lately. There's a pretty high "signal to noise ratio" and Jake is one of the best moderators around, IMO.

VC has grown from a small town to a sprawling metropolis as the band has increased in popularity, but the "community" can't be beat. If you need information or help getting tickets to a show, the people here are incredibly kind and generous. People like Narz and Donna set the tone very early (and Kyle and the current set of moderators work hard to keep it that way) and that has made all the difference. :cheers

No one has seriously answered my question...

Honestly I checked out a couple other band related boards when I wanted to get a copy of the Collin Meloy Morrissey EP, and later when the news about Jim O'Rourke leaving Sonic Youth came around. I don't know, the boards were okay, but they were just pretty scattered and full of junk a lot of the time, and definitely didn't have a good sense of community.

There are several boards out there full of people just as dedicated to the band in question as people are here. Although, I have never participated, I think there has been GD talk on The Well since the late 80s. I look, but do not really post on the Black Crowes board - people there follow the band around and hang out with each other, argue, whatever - just like here.

The only music forums I lurk on are Via Chicago & the Clash forum at clashcity.com - both places are equally passionate and informative, although the folks at Via Chicago tend to be more articulate than your average music discussion board (I think partly due to the English teachers and other professional folks who deal with words and stuff that post here).

oh, i don't know...the Sons of Sam Horn message board is pretty friendly.

:blink

:lol

As a member, this is amusing. It can be pretty cut-throat over there and there is a unique sub-culture that transpires behind the scenes of the main board, but overall I believe it's the best place to get the best Sox info./analysis without the fluff/fanboy crap of a lot of the other sites. Plus, guys like Schilling, Theo, J. Henry, etc. are members so you get first-hand accounts