• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 5 or 6 listens this is growing on me, but it's still your typical Ryan Adams post-Heartbreaker release--a few great, great songs and a bunch of filler. "Two" is a little AOR for my tastes, and I'm not into "Oh My God..." or "Off Broadyway" either. "Tears of Gold" is fucking beautiful though.

if it's the same tour, i believe it's ONLY acoustic.

Really?

Damn.

I suppose it's for the best...see him on 7/10 in an old theatre that's probably more appropriate for an acoustic set.

Although I had my heart set on a balcony shaking version of "Goodnight Rose". :upset

I dig "Pearls On a String".

i really wanted that one last night :ohwell

After 5 or 6 listens this is growing on me, but it's still your typical Ryan Adams post-Heartbreaker release--a few great, great songs and a bunch of filler. "Two" is a little AOR for my tastes, and I'm not into "Oh My God..." or "Off Broadyway" either. "Tears of Gold" is fucking beautiful though.

there's only 2-3 so-so songs on it for me (Halloween Head, mostly just hate the lyrics, it was fantastic last night, the new version of Off Broadway (not too big on his falsetto on the new version), and Rip Off (chorus melody is pretty, song is a bit dull and the lyrics aren't that good).

solid 4 star album for me i'd say, and his most all around consistent since Gold.

i really wanted that one last night :ohwell

there's only 2-3 so-so songs on it for me (Halloween Head, mostly just hate the lyrics, it was fantastic last night, the new version of Off Broadway (not too big on his falsetto on the new version), and Rip Off (chorus melody is pretty, song is a bit dull and the lyrics aren't that good).

solid 4 star album for me i'd say, and his most all around consistent since Gold.

i too am a big fan of easy tiger, but you think it is more consistent than cold roses??

i too am a big fan of easy tiger, but you think it is more consistent than cold roses??

yes.

there's only 2-3 songs i don't love on Easy Tiger, whereas Cold Roses has 5-6 songs i don't totally love. if Cold Roses was cut to 12-13 songs, it'd easily be his best post Heartbreaker, that's for sure.

cut out

Meadowlake Street

Beautiful Sorta

Cherry Lane

Friends

Rosebud

Blossom

and it'd be a killer single disc album

not that big of a fan of the slower songs on Cold Roses for the most part. they're really dull/sappy songs for me. i love Ryan's solo/slow stuff, but really those ones in particular.

Ughhhh on first listen I'm gonna call Easy Tiger my 2nd least favorite Ryan record, right above 29. I can see it as a grower, if only because Two has grown on me, but I don't see it touching Cold Roses, Heartbreaker, JCN or Love Is Hell. A lot, if not most, of the songs are only two verses and two chorus, which to my ears makes them sound a little unfinished. It also gets a little repetitive, with not many excellent moments sticking out. This is, of course, only a first impression, but hey, it's still an opinion.

cut out

Meadowlake Street

Beautiful Sorta

Cherry Lane

Friends

Rosebud

Blossom

:realmad MS and Friends are two of my fav songs on the record. While the others, except Cherry Lane, which I think is great, are not the best songs on the album, I still enjoy them. CR is pretty close to perfect, and def my fav. Ryan record

:realmad MS and Friends are two of my fav songs on the record. While the others, except Cherry Lane, which I think is great, are not the best songs on the album, I still enjoy them. CR is pretty close to perfect, and def my fav. Ryan record

Ryan's falsetto grates on me more often than not, which most of those songs feature his falsetto

Rosebud is just dull as shit though, no matter what vocal style

Rosebud is just dull as shit though, no matter what vocal style

For the meaning of the song alone (Garcia's guitar), Rosebud is one of my favorite Ryan songs.

90% of Easy Tiger sounds like a bunch of B-sides. I have no idea why the critics are fawning over this one. It sounds like Ryan on autopilot trying to have a hit record. It doesn't feel sincere to me and I have a big problem with that.

For the meaning of the song alone (Garcia's guitar), Rosebud is one of my favorite Ryan songs.

90% of Easy Tiger sounds like a bunch of B-sides. I have no idea why the critics are fawning over this one. It sounds like Ryan on autopilot trying to have a hit record. It doesn't feel sincere to me and I have a big problem with that.

I was just sitting outside adoring this album and thought I'd check in on this thread.

I feel bad about your experience the same way I've felt about some reactions to SBS. but I don't think you're not listening to it right, or whatever the arrow is these days.

In fact it's one of the things I love most about this forum and makes me continue to trust it.

On my first listen at least, this is exactly how I feel. The songs simply seem underwritten, though his voice sounds great. I, too, find it surprising that this is getting strong reviews and CR got mixed ones.

At least the dude does not wait years between albums - he just puts it out there. I like that. Some of it is crap, come of it is not crap.

Agreed, and--from the article posted herein--it is apparant that he would have liked to have seen much more output.

I just love the guitars on this album so.

On my first listen at least, this is exactly how I feel. The songs simply seem underwritten, though his voice sounds great. I, too, find it surprising that this is getting strong reviews and CR got mixed ones.

I do like the new one a lot, but I agree on Cold Roses, it blows my mind that the reviews were not better

everything was perfect. fabulous venue (probably a little bigger than my high school theater, but all new and comfy... great sound), and the band was just incredible. they are so good, i couldn't believe it. ryan's voice was gorgeous, too...wow. dear john was a highlight for me since its one of my favorites. I loved goodnight rose, too, but everything was really good, including the vaguely freestyle band intros!

i've never seen ryan so self-contained (although he kept giving himself devil horns during all of the songs??). no weirdness or anything except when the band launched into a song while he was blabbing. awesome.