Icky Thump - New White Stripes album

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same way, although I do love the 2nd track.

there are a few i like, but i was really turned off by prickly thorn/st andrew, which seemed jokey to me. and for a "heavier" album, no song immediately matches the insanity of Red Rain or Instinct Blues for me (just to compare it to their last effort).

Icky Thump is now being streamed in its entirety from MTV.com.

http://www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/the_whit...es/icky_thump/#

It's not exactly what I was expecting. Jack had said that fans of the Stripes first album would love this album. Don't get me wrong, this record has its rockin' parts, but it doesn't match the raw hard rock of the self-titled release.

At times, You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told) seems like a faster bouncier guitar version of I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet). Not that I'm complaining, it's my second favorite track. The ones I'm really having a hard time liking are Rag and Bone, where the talking may have ruined the music for me (Jack and Meg aren't close to being Bone Broke, why are the begging me for my junk?), it doesn't help that it comes after Little Cream Soda where the spoken lines worked well. I'm really put off by "Martyr", the guitar and drum pattern makes me think of Everlast for some reason, not that I've ever intentionally or intently listened to Everlast. The last two tracks are pretty forgetable too, though I probably haven't given them enough attention. On so many songs I feel Jack tried too hard for clever lines or wordplay, that the actual clever lines and wordplay don't stick out as well as they could. I've completely stopped listening to the lyrics on the title track, it helps. Right now I'm feeling this is the worst WS album, it has disappointing tracks like Elephant without the clearly brilliant ones. A few definite keepers, but nothing of the Hardest Button to Button quality. But all WS albums are very close in quality, and after all criticism I might add to this thread to vent, I like Icky Thump pretty good.

I have thought about that before--as USB drives get cheaper you can sell mp3s and still have a physical artifact with packaging and such.

they're not the first one to do this by any means ;)

Barenaked Ladies did it in '05:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/249219_tf222.html

also, local Mpls band, Zibra Zibra are having a cd release show here at First Ave on 7/7/7 where they are releasing their new album in the following ways:

ROYALTY, ETC. RECORDS PRESENTS HAR MAR SUPERSTAR (FEAT MEMBERS OF THE STROKES) AND ZIBRAZIBRA

(777 Digital Release) with Seymore Saves The World

$10.00 advance / $12.00 door

At the show ZibraZibra's merch people will have computers setup to load songs, b-sides, video, etc. straight to audience member's iPods, Zens, Blackberrys, iPhones, Razrs, Flashdrives, etc. via connector cables and mp3 drivers preinstalled on the computer. We also plan on delivering these elements wirelessly at the show for those who have capable devices. Lastly, people entering the venue will receive a website address where the album will be available to download for free only for the duration of the show. This means wireless devices in the venue can access the website as well as pass along the url to people outside the venue, but again it will only be available while the show is in progress. This type of release has NEVER been done before, and we're hoping it to be a trendsetting attempt.

it's a very cool/novel idea and i'm pretty excited to help out with it

At times, You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told) seems like a faster bouncier guitar version of I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet).

I thought the same thing. :thumbup

After listening to the stream once, I can't say I love Prickly Thorn or St. Andrew, and I think I like the first (live) incarnation of Little Cream Soda better than the album version. Otherwise, I think the album's great. I need to sit with it for awhile before I can rank it among their other albums, though.

I thought the same thing. :thumbup

After listening to the stream once, I can't say I love Prickly Thorn or St. Andrew, and I think I like the first (live) incarnation of Little Cream Soda better than the album version. Otherwise, I think the album's great. I need to sit with it for awhile before I can rank it among their other albums, though.

I'm holding out for the release. But you are the only person here who's opinion I look to on this. Looking forward to your thoughts after it's sunk in more. :dancing

If you're looking for something you can put on your iPod, then, no, but if you've just never heard the song before, then here's

nah, i've heard it. looking for something to actually be able to listen to.... i'm a bit obsessive when it comes to certain musicians and mr. white is one of those....

I'm holding out for the release. But you are the only person here who's opinion I look to on this. Looking forward to your thoughts after it's sunk in more. :dancing

:cheers

By this time next week, I probably will have listened to it a couple hundred times, so stand by... :P

By this time next week, I probably will have listened to it a couple hundred times, so stand by... :P

i think at this point i've listened to it about thirty times. did you pick up the nme issue with the 7"?

I've still not quite made my mind up about it - some of the tracks really work for me, others leave me reaching for the skip button.

I think it's better than Satan - I prefer it when they kick out and rip off the Led Zep riffs.... we'll see, I'll form a full opinion of this yet :)

did you pick up the nme issue with the 7"?

No, I don't have that. I did hear a sample of "Baby Brother" on the Japanese iTunes store, though...sounds very Gene Vincent. I can't wait to hear the full song.

"Conquest" cracks me up. It is more Spinal Tap than Spinal Tap.

I love the fact that Jack is still doing unexpected/crazy covers like that. It makes me think of "Look Me Over Closely".