Icky Thump - New White Stripes album

I'm really not sure what I think about this album... Alot of it sounds like the same old same old White Stripes and I mean you only can do so much with two people. Stick to the Raconteurs Jack.

I know the Raconteurs have only done one album so far, but so far the White Stripes have managed to cover more territory on each and everyone one of their albums than the Raconteurs did on theirs. And I do like that Raconteurs album, but's all pretty standard guitar rock/pop.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really not sure what I think about this album... Alot of it sounds like the same old same old White Stripes and I mean you only can do so much with two people. Stick to the Raconteurs Jack.

Oh god no. The Raconteurs suck! Brendan Benson isn't fit to change Jack White's guitar strings. And a world without Meg White dry humping her drum kit would be sad, indeed.

I just feel that the White Stripes are going to run out of things to do with only two people. There's so much more they could do with the Raconteurs.

i don't really understand this statement - live you can only do so much because you have 4 hands, but as far as recording there are infinte possibilities. jack plays guitar, bass and piano - if you play piano then you have all keyboard instruments at your feet - you can create endlessly with these instruments.

And over the last couple albums he's also added marimba and mandolin as well. They have a lot of different directions they can go in the studio.

And one of the more exciting aspects of their live show is hearing stripped down versions of songs where he played several instruments on the album, especially when he switches between instruments mid-song

And one of the more exciting aspects of their live show is hearing stripped down versions of songs where he played several instruments on the album, especially when he switches between instruments mid-song

Absolutely. When they played the entire "Get Behind Me Satan" album at Auditorium Theatre last time through (that album was literally their entire regular set before encores) really showcased the flexibility they have in comparing the studio material into live. Watching Jack changing instruments in the middle of a litt'l Meg riff was incredible to see....that guy is all over the place on stage.

Yeah, I think the "there's only two of them" thing is kind of off-base. I love Jack White and I dig Brendan Benson, but I thought that the Raconteurs album kind of sucked. The simplicity is what is so great about the Stripes, for me, at least.

I think this album is great, though I hope the actual version sounds better than the one I got from Oink. That one kind of sounds like crap, way too much bass.

The Raconteurs album was great. It had a very Lennon/McCartney feel, with Jack's kind of bitter side meshing well with Brandon's sugary sweet pop.

But the White Stripes > The Raconteurs. The Raconteurs are awesome, but the White Stripes rules ass.

The Raconteurs album was great. It had a very Lennon/McCartney feel, with Jack's kind of bitter side meshing well with Brandon's sugary sweet pop.

But the White Stripes > The Raconteurs. The Raconteurs are awesome, but the White Stripes rules ass.

:cheers

i've been digging the new album quite a bit. a ton really. "Conquest" is a bit out there, but the horns in it work really well, imo. and "St. Andrew" feels very Velvet Underground-esque, to me. anyway, can't wait for the album, the three versions of the single, and my copy of NME with the 7" to show up. :thumbup

Oh god no. The Raconteurs suck! Brendan Benson isn't fit to change Jack White's guitar strings. And a world without Meg White dry humping her drum kit would be sad, indeed.

One Mississippi > any White Stripes record...

at this point i don't like the Raconteurs more than TWS yet, but live i found them more enjoyable, probably due to the great rhythm section

my beef with the Raconteurs album was that it was a little too 'cleanly' produced. for me, jack's songs were better. i like pop though, so i liked brendan's, but sometimes his rhymes in his lyrics are a little to simple or obvious. i really didn't listen to the record all that much.

On third listen there's parts of this record I don't like (as with every Stripes album) but the majority of it is really good. I never got why everyone hated Get Behind Me Satan, it's still probably my favorite by them.

:realmad :realmad :realmad

hey man, i loves me some killer Beatles-y power pop, what can i say?

the opening trifecta on that album is one of my fave musical passages of the last 15 years

i agree his last 2 records haven't lived up to that masterpiece (Jason Faulkner had a big hand in why it was so great though too), but he writes killer pop melodies, whether or not you like his music or not.

as for meg, see:

http://www.theonion.com/content/from_print...white_drum_solo

:P

sorry, i wish i didn't have to feel the need to rag on her (she has gotten better) but i know myself, growing up playing in bands, that was my biggest pet peeve of any drummer i played with (speeding up and slowing down the tempo within a single song).

could you imagine Jack playing w/ Janet Weiss? :omg

I like power pop just fine, but Brendan Benson's solo stuff is nothing special at all.

One Mississippi is dammit! :realmad

being serious here... it's the best power pop album of the last 10-15 years for me...

i won't defend Lapalco or Alternative To Love (they're both decent, especially the latter, but One Miss was something else)

ah well... i suppose it doesn't help that I was a fan of Brendan before I'd even heard a single White Stripes song either...

Guest Rufer

I actually like Alternative to Love more than One Miss. Both are pretty kickass though. I also thoroughly enjoy the entire White Stripes catalog and think the Raconteurs album was completely rad. They're live set at Lolla last year rocked my ever-loving socks off. I guess I'm easy and don't see the point in choosing between the three because they're all going to exist either way so I'll like each 'band' for what they do.

I actually like Alternative to Love more than One Miss. Both are pretty kickass though. I also thoroughly enjoy the entire White Stripes catalog and think the Raconteurs album was completely rad. They're live set at Lolla last year rocked my ever-loving socks off. I guess I'm easy and don't see the point in choosing between the three because they're all going to exist either way so I'll like each 'band' for what they do.

:thumbup