Icky Thump - New White Stripes album

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through a series of happy circumstances, I find myself today in Yellowknife Northwest Territories (find that on your Mapquest) with a ticket to the White Stripes. Life is good

Wow, that is way up there. Only 2 days and 13 hours fro me!

yeah i'm living in whitehorse this summer. didn't get tickets to the actual concert, although apparently they played 29 songs--quite a set. they did a short, 6-song acoustic set in a park downtown yesterday...didn't announce it til 4 o'clock, they took the stage at 5.30, and already quite a crowd just by word of mouth. anyway, that was pretty cool, but all it did was just make me want to go to the main show even more.

and yes, the days are very, very long up here right now.

is it just me, or is the keyboard in Icky Thump completely unrelated to the sound of bagpipes and that perhaps people were listening for bagpipes to appear on this record since they were mentioned and might have mistakenly heard them in Icky Thump?

Yeah, the bagpipes are only on 2 songs:

img_19.jpg

Kinda small, but in the middle section it says, "Bagpipes on 'Prickly Thorn But Sweetly Worn' and 'St. Andrew' performed by Jim Drury."

fantastic live band... much better than on record

Good to hear... especially since I really like their record. It's probably one of the 4-5 albums I've listened to the most over the last 6 months.

Just read that Icky debuted at #2 on the Billboard charts with 200,000 plus sales, second to Bon Jovi. That is a travesty. It's the WS highest chart yet.

I've really let the disc settle in, and my verdict is that Icky Thump really brings it and is a Type-A personality record that never backs down.

I will admit, that when I have a just a few minutes in the car, my first choices are either "Little Cream Soda", "I'm Slowly Turning Into You", or "A Martyr for My Love For You".....but I can listen straight through the whole disc and not think many times I want to skip. Tracks 6,7 and 9 are the the lesser tracks to me....but somehow they fit in with the wild, in-your-face vibe of the album.

Guest Rufer
got my icky thump vinyl yesterday and all i gotta say is wholly cow it sounds amazing. and its a pretty good album to boot.

Definitely, I bought the vinyl a few days after the cd. See my comment earlier in this thread about the cd clipping all over the place. The vinyl is in another league--huge huge difference. It is so fantastic.

This is my first and last comment on Icky Thump. After having it for two weeks and listening to it frequently I have to say that it just does not grab me at all. It has it's moments but it is a far cry from Elephant, White Blood Cells and De Stijil. Perhaps at a later date I will get the full album, but for me this is a disc to skip over most parts of.

• 3 weeks later...

I amseeing the Stripes next Saturday. But the opening act for that date is Dan Sartain - not the Cold War Kids. For the earlier poster - I really like the CWK album and was hoping to see them live. Oh well. I have not heard of Sartain and Allmusic had very little information. Does anybody know anything about him/what he is like live?

Thanks!

i finally got to listen to this a few solid times and it's better than i first thought.

i missed the new instruments that jack was experimenting with on GBMS and really only thought the single was something new for the Stripes, but all the songs are solid and it's a fun listen.

don't think the st andrew track is too hot. not that i don't like that type of track (like Fitter, Happier on OK Computer, etc) but i can't understand what Meg is even saying for the most part.

Sometime I get in the car and listen to just "You Don't Know What love is" over and over again. It's so ridiculously catchy. If it were a just world this song would be all over the radio. Also a quick question? Did Get Behind Me Satan ever come out on vinyl? If so any tips on where to find it? Thanks in advance.