Icky Thump - New White Stripes album

No, I don't have that. I did hear a sample of "Baby Brother" on the Japanese iTunes store, though...sounds very Gene Vincent. I can't wait to hear the full song.

i haven't heard that. but the nme 7" is pretty cool, i'm eagerly awaiting its companion

and for the record i like "Conquest" it's not the best song on the album, nor my favorite, but i think it's fun, and sometimes that's good enough. plus the horns sound wicked coupled with his guitar

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo. Did you guys see Jack and Meg on Conan last night?

(I'd no idea they were going to be on the show this week).

Haven't seen the entire set yet. Tivo'ed it, and watched "Icky Thump" and just a little of "Effect and Cause" this AM.

Thought the sound was pretty horrible. Jacks guitar during Icky Thump was pretty uneven throughout the entire song and Meg's drum level came up noticeably about midway through the tune. They seemed a bit rusty too....maybe it was just the mix throwing them off.

Picked up two tickets for the Aragon Ballroom Sunday show on the pre-sale. :dancing I know a lovely lady familiar with a song or two from this band that I'll be attending the show with. :pirate

Soooo. Did you guys see Jack and Meg on Conan last night?

(I'd no idea they were going to be on the show this week).

Haven't seen the entire set yet. Tivo'ed it, and watched "Icky Thump" and just a little of "Effect and Cause" this AM.

Thought the sound was pretty horrible. Jacks guitar during Icky Thump was pretty uneven throughout the entire song and Meg's drum level came up noticeably about midway through the tune. They seemed a bit rusty too....maybe it was just the mix throwing them off.

yeah, Icky sounded god awful last night for the most part, especially the intro w/ Jack playing synth & guitar, but his tone other than the one big riff that comes in later also sounded terrible. his vocals were way off and he was skipping a ton of the words too (granted it's not the most easy song/lyrics to sing).

2nd song was better, not that big on it, but the peformance in the crowd was awesome.

Been through it once and it is a keeper. My only complaint is that the cymbals and kick drum overwhelm at times. Maybe I've just been listening to The National too much lately, now that guy can lay down a beat.

they killed at Irving Plaza last night.

totally killed.

:-O Holy shit, I was just reading about that! St. James Infirmary Blues, I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother’s Heart, You’ve Got Her In Your Pocket, Astro, The Union Forever, Black Jack Davey... Lots of rarities in there!

See, Dude...this is why we have to go see them twice in a row. :yes

Also I think the album sounds really good, production-wise. Using the "modern equipment" paid off, Jack. :thumbup

Can you elaborate? I have IT on my ipod but haven't read this 18-page thread.

I can't wait for the Aragon shows. About once a month during the school year, I need a break for a kick ass concert. This year I get two. I'm completely flabergasted that tix are $40+...that bothers me a little. But I expect to meet you two in line at some point during the weekend!

Can you elaborate? I have IT on my ipod but haven't read this 18-page thread.

I was just referring to the fact that Jack had always been adamant about recording White Stripes albums in an "old-school" way...no computers or digital equipment. Elephant was recorded at Toe Rag Studios in London which only uses 8-tracks and other old equipment, and the other albums were in large part recorded in Jack's house. Kinda...lo-fi. :) For Icky Thump, though, they used a modern recording studio.

But I expect to meet you two in line at some point during the weekend!

:cheers

I was just referring to the fact that Jack had always been adamant about recording White Stripes albums in an "old-school" way...no computers or digital equipment. Elephant was recorded at Toe Rag Studios in London which only uses 8-tracks and other old equipment, and the other albums were in large part recorded in Jack's house. Kinda...lo-fi. :) For Icky Thump, though, they used a modern recording studio.

:cheers

Actually TRS has a very high engineering ethic...that's why I asked the question. I recall Elephant had pretty nice sonics.

Actually TRS has a very high engineering ethic...that's why I asked the question. I recall Elephant had pretty nice sonics.

I'm not saying Toe Rag has a low engineering ethic, I'm saying they use vintage equipment and stuff...and no computers. I think Elephant sounds great, too.

Here are some excerpts from interviews that kinda say what I'm trying, and apparently failing, to say: :lol

"This is the first time we've recorded in a modern studio," says Jack. "It was always something we were really wary of. We had this thing, 'How can you get something going when there's a cappuccino machine and nice carpet?' We don't want to feel comfortable, we want to make ourselves uncomfortable. That means recording in winter time, in these tiny places. I mean, at Toe Rag [the Hackney studio where they recorded fourth album, 'Elephant'] you had to duck when you walked up the stairs!" jokes tall Jack. Meg laughs. "But you knew there was a nice cup of tea waiting for you at the top," she says fondly. "It was the only comfort."

To hear Jack tell it, the decision to record at Blackbird (previous inhabitants include Dolly Parton and Neil Young) was merely another challenge that they laid out before themselves - a test to see if they could use a building full of modern conveniences to create the raw, trach can-banging sound for which The White Stripes are renowned.

"We started to think, 'Maybe we could even make it sound better than other records,'" says Jack animatedly. "Plus, this place had an amazing microphone collection. And it's right down the street! I thought, 'This is too good to be true, I've got to give this a shot ...'"

Having played their first show on July 14th, 1997, it's somewhat fitting that the results of this face-off between Jack's studio boffinery and modern recording techniques will land, with quite a metaphorical thump, just weeks before the band's tenth anniversary. It needs to be said that their new work is aurally rich; evidence that The White Stripes have made good use of their resources. It jigs experimentally but confidently from the raw Detroit rock that the duo are known for, to Scottish c

yeah, on first listen last nite i was really digging that one too. the back half of this CD is so solid.

actually, i really liked this entire disc, with the exception of the st. andrews track. the first scottish one was fun, but the second one sounded like a disaster to me. not sure if i'll warm up with it. and i was actually laughing out loud during conquest...not sure if that's a good or a bad sign.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOONQUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEST!

Hopefully I'll be at Aragon as well. When do tickets go on sale for real?

I'm camping out all day :)