Icky Thump - New White Stripes album

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, if nothing else, this has been a pretty potent reminder of why I haven't listened to FM rock radio in years. Stuff I've learned in the last ten minutes:

1) Jack White is "ridiculous" live. The new album is a real "face-melter."

2) FM rock radio is exactly the same from city to city.

3) The ads these stations play remind me of being in an amusement arcade.

I really like to watch, I mean listen to Meg drum. If you have a chance to see them live do so.

Apparently they'd been playing songs from it since 2PM - they just played the final track (which was great!). I think that's that.

Crap. Well, if the interns at Q101 have their greasy paws on it, the entire album should leak on the Interwebs soon enough.

Now I can look forward to not reading weekly emails from Q101.

You'll never miss a single news item on Nickelback again now.

Hold out Elixir Sue! I tried to with SBS, but my boyfriend burned me a copy without knowing I didn't want to hear it until it was released. Holding out for a CD to be released is a kick ass little present for yourself.

I have front row center tix for the W.S. 10th anniversary show!

I caved. I tried to stay strong, but couldn't stand knowing those songs were out there. The rest of the album will still be a surprise, though! And I'm jealous...that anniversary show will be pretty special. :thumbup

Elixir Sue is not going to be happy when she reads the last few posts. I'm just saying.

It's okay, man...I know I'm right and the haters are wrong. They probably just need to listen to the White Stripes more. :pirate

Yeah, it's readily available. Pretty fucking great, although it's way too early to compare and contrast to previous releases. I'll say this, though: Jack's damned consistent. Definitely one of the more talented songwriters out there in the world today.

Agreed... it's one of those hype things that will go away eventually.

The material doesn't warrant the hype. There's less return on the hype than like any other artist this generation, save maybe the Libertines or something like that. Only White Blood Cells has ever come close to living upto the medias promises for me.

And where's these great melodies Jack supposedly writes? I can think of like at least 20 melodicists from the past ten years who far exceed him.

I have one album - White Blood Cells - I think it is. I don't see what the big deal is either - I mean they do have their own gimmick presentation weirdo thing going on - I will give them that.

Yeah, it's readily available. Pretty fucking great, although it's way too early to compare and contrast to previous releases. I'll say this, though: Jack's damned consistent. Definitely one of the more talented songwriters out there in the world today.

it's sounding like i'm gonna like it a lot more than Get Behind Me Satan at least, so that's good. would be nice if it was better than Elephant too though.

I'm holding off on this until a proper leak. Nothing like a radio rip to make me lose confidence in an album before I've even heard it properly.

There's nothing quite as satisfying as a proper leak every once in a while.

yeah, i almost regret taking this partial leak, not very satisifying. if anything its making the wait worse.

Hhahahaha best post ever.

just finished listening...

pretty cool record... not in love w/ a couple tracks, Conquest (still really dislike that chorus, but it's a cover) and St. Andrew, but i'm pretty sure it'll end up being my fave since WBC