Icky Thump - New White Stripes album

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finely heard it. pretty interesting. don't see it being a mainstream radio single like Fell in Love or Seven Nation Army (or whatever the name was) - there are too many weird stops/instrumental passages i would think. i have no idea if Blue Orchid got played on the type of stations that play top 40 (britney spears, etc) anyway though (as i don't listen to that type of station).

finely heard it. pretty interesting. don't see it being a mainstream radio single like Fell in Love or Seven Nation Army (or whatever the name was) - there are too many weird stops/instrumental passages i would think. i have no idea if Blue Orchid got played on the type of stations that play top 40 (britney spears, etc) anyway though (as i don't listen to that type of station).

it's been awhile since i've heard britney spears on the radio, i did hear "my doorbell" however quite a bit during the summer of satan. :devil

The White Stripes are so much better than the Black Keys it's not funny.

we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I LOOOOOOOVE the Stripes and will buy everything they ever put out, but The Black Keys are just too damned awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Had the official promo of the single through yesterday - I was really excited though as I thought it was the album, the package was covered in "Icky Thump" stickers... but, alas, just the single.

Having a good listen, it is completely bonkers in places and the lack of a chorus is great. At least they're trying to do something genuinly different!

I've always been more of a fan of their less noisy tunes, so I guess this figures.

I somewhat agree.

But you have to figure the single is gonna be a funky, aggressive rocker to get some attention.

For example, "I Wanna Be the Boy" is one of my favorite Stripes songs ever....but it would be very weird if it was the first single released. It was better to have "Seven Nation Army" boldly announce the arrival of Elephant.

"Icky Thump" is saying, "yo....don't forget about Jack and Meg....we gotta a new disc coming out, and it's gonna rock your world."

for me i prefer the rockers (thus why my fave album is still De Stijl), but i hate Jack's often nasally whine, which occurs mostly on the higher tempo stuff... it's a double edged sword :/