Now playing March 2007

yeah... i like it so far, but it doesn't even touch the first 2 EP's for me yet...

this has/had the potential to be one of the best debut's of the 2000's... hopefully it grows on me, i've only listened once. his voice on Ghost and a few other songs bugs me... it's too whispery. not sure why he changed his delivery so much on a lot of these songs...

man.. Real Life Version is going to be on the season finale of Grey's Anatomy, i'm calling it now.... blah. :ohwell

edit: Firecracker is definitely the best song on here though, and up there w/ the best from the EPs

i'm gonna check out the new BRMC next

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah... i like it so far, but it doesn't even touch the first 2 EP's for me yet...

this has/had the potential to be one of the best debut's of the 2000's... hopefully it grows on me, i've only listened once. his voice on Ghost and a few other songs bugs me... it's too whispery. not sure why he changed his delivery so much on a lot of these songs...

I have their biggest fan ep and was terribly underwhelmed after hearing how great they were. Are their other ep's worth getting?

NP:

B000E6GBV2.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V47018050_.jpg

Saw these guys last night in concert at Asheville. 'Twas great. They're gonna be recording their new album over the next couple of weeks there. The new songs sounded pretty good.

I have their biggest fan ep and was terribly underwhelmed after hearing how great they were. Are their other ep's worth getting?

yes, that EP is pretty weak compared to Mothers or Wolves

dunno that you'll like them much, but they're certainly way way better than the Biggest Fan single/EP.

The fucking fannytastic Fountains Of Wayne!!! I love love love this new album! :thumbup :dancing :thumbup

Really? It was a major dissapointment for me. Nothing at all stood out. Maybe I should give it another try..

Voxtrot - s/t

for me too. Definitely not on par with RBW and MSD&W, but still pretty tasty. :eat

I sorta wish they'd released all the early stuff as their first LP, cause that would've been album of the year material for sure.

definitely.

when i get to work on Monday, i should post up the tracklist i made by combining Wolves & MSDW (maybe add Trouble from Biggest Fan EP), it flows really well i think.

B000NVIXPA.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V42175129_.jpg

fucking LOVE this through 7 tracks...

it's like a great combination of the first 3 records sound-wise... definitely some Stone Roses vibes going on here (Berlin), maybe some Primal Scream too.

Really? It was a major dissapointment for me. Nothing at all stood out. Maybe I should give it another try..

Oh well, each to their own but I do love it.

Wolves and Mothers were both really underwhelming for me the first few listens and then they stuck like glue. I'm hoping the same will happen with this.

i'm sure the new one will grow on me, but there's just no possible way i'll enjoy it even remotely as much as Mothers, and to a lesser extent, Wolves.

both of those EP's were like an 8-8.5, this is more like a 7-7.5 record unfortunately. which isn't bad mind you, but it had the potential to be one of my fave albums of the year, and a solid 8.5-9 i think.

i'm sure the new one will grow on me, but there's just no possible way i'll enjoy it even remotely as much as Mothers, and to a lesser extent, Wolves.

both of those EP's were like an 8-8.5, this is more like a 7-7.5 record unfortunately. which isn't bad mind you, but it had the potential to be one of my fave albums of the year, and a solid 8.5-9 i think.

I agree, mothers and wolves just knocked it out of the park. the new one doesn't seem as catchy to me, I listened to it a couple of hours ago and i couldnt tell you anything I heard. It doesn't stick with me.

i can't even claim that they were trying for a more mainstream sound either, because the earlier stuff is even catchier and more radio friendly than this...

think this is a case where some label money, a nice studio, and a producer definitely yielded weaker results than had they just done it themselves like prior.

Is that Grizzly Bear on Warp records? I am positive I heard something from them on the radio here last night but didn't quite catch the whole thing. Sounded pretty good though.