Bright Eyes Cassadaga

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not as big a fan of his earlier stuff, as I find much of his stuff before Lifted to be rather inconsistent.

I think Digital Ash and this latest one are the least consistent of the bunch.

Favorite songs? I don't really know exactly... right off the top of my head: Arc of Time, I Believe in Symmetry, Calendar Hung Itself, Attempt to Tip the Scales, Tereza & Tomas, Make War, Well Whiskey, Blue Angels Air Show.....as a rule, I like a lot of b-sides better than album tracks though I'm not showing that here.

ok, first off, know that i am really cheap. or frugal, whatever. i only just got cable (channels 1-99) a few months ago. i don't have tivo, or dvr, or even that onscreen guide to know what's playing. so i rely on the tv guide channel to tell me what i might want to watch. i turned the tv guide channel on a couple of minutes ago and to my shock they were playing the "four winds" video. it was really fucking weird. that is all.

Am I the only one who thinks of post-Katrina New Orleans when they hear Soul Singer?

Just like our soul singer in the session band

Wailed like an infant atop a white baby grand

We'll need every sand bag and every man

To save the soul singer in the session band

Headlights or taillights, it's a flip of a coin

I've been coming and going since the day I was born

And I followed the bread crumbs but I never got home

I grew old in an instant, now I'm all on my own

Just like that soul singer in the session band

Shredded to nothing beneath the microphone stand

Saw the wave of the future through the crack of the dam

Drowned the soul singer in the session band

Bless the soul singer in the session band

Specifically this part. Maybe It's just me.

I had not thought about that, but the song fro the Katrina benefit CD that Saddle Creek did is really good. Called "Napolean's Hat" and is definitely about Katrina, obviously.

Haven't heard that. I'll look it up.

the little write up about this album on saddle creek does mention that the songs reference katrina, so you are probably right.

i think my favorites are brakeman and i must belong somewhere. and i actually like the pieces with the woman talking (as opposed to the first bits on the other albums) because it didnt drag on forever and set an interesting mood. it also helped that i looked up cassadaga and figured out it is a spiritualist community in florida- so it ties in (vortexes and such).

Am I the only one not falling over with an erection about this album? Now I never could abide him anyway but this is just painful to listen to.

I like how they praised "Four Winds" in the EP review and blast it in the album review. Cool.

Were both pieces written by the same writer?

I thought the score was right on, maybe a point too high. What I didn't understand, however, was that they praised all the tracks that I find ridiculously bad while hating on everything I like. Interesting, indeed.

I find it funny that in every review of each of his records, everyone points out his age as if it makes any difference. When he was 24, he wrote like a kid. Now he's 27, and he's still a bad writer, an even more pretentious singer and writer as well. He never gets off from his high horse of how terrible the world is while still remaining an ailing narcissist who is too busy focusing on how terribly alone he is being a big superstar. Not only that, he's full of false pretensions, pretending he's some wounded folkie with his country titles and pretending he has been tending to cattles living in some pasture. I don't buy it and I find his music anything but inspiring.