• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, you never can count out the Yankees. But this year I'm thinking that the luster on that team is very much starting to dull.

1. Their pitching. Sure Clemmons is coming blah blah blah. I'm going on the record saying it will be a sucky (half) season for him. Mussina looked like shit yesterday, Pettite and Wang are still good but in a nutshell their pitching is not as healthy as it should be.

2. Ownership. Steinbrenner is only rarely wheeled out in public these days. He's not doing so well. The heir apparent to the team is now in the process of divorcing Steinbrenners daughter. The rest of the ownership group are running around like idiots, who is running this team?

3. Players. Sure they allways act business-like and whatnot but does anybody seriously believe that they are a happy team? Matsui looks like he's gonna die of boredom. Farnsworth is spouting off about Clemmons getting that sweet-heart deal. A-Rod is tearing it up (but will not in the fall) when he's not busy grabbing his crotch.Seriously watch that guy, he yanks at his crotch after every play or pitch. Giambi is failing dope tests and running off at the mouth about steroids. That team is getting to be like the Sox of old 25 players, 25 cabs.

4. Manager. Does Torre not look like he is abso-fucking-loutely miserable out there?

It's all adding up. It's time the rest of the AL and the Sox in particular really start piling it on. Sure it's only May but the time is ripe. You can never count them out but everything that needs to happen to give them a shit season is lined-up and happening. It would be really nice for them to have an awful season.

He doesn't have a point. Perhaps you could make the case that ownership doesn't have anything to do with what happens on the field (I would say it does), but the other three most definitely have an effect. Certainly pitching and player attitude. No question about those two. Managerial decisionmaking can absolutely have an effect on games, especially when it comes to late-game pitching matchups (Grady Little?). Ownership, too, can cause distractions which can affect players on and off the field, not to mention that ownership is responsible for putting the team together in the first place...

I was referring to the reasons for each one affecting the team. Yes, ownership, manager and players affect the game, but not for the reasons he stated. I'll explain why!

1. Their pitching. This is why they have been bad. (And Giambi, Cano and Damon are all playing like shit.)

2. Ownership. What does Stienbrenner being in a wheelchair have to do with a team being 4 games under .500? Brian Cashman is running the team and he's done a really good job in the last few years picking up solid pitching prospect. They've got no positional prospects in the minors (I think they've got some 18 y/o named Tabata who is supposed to be the shit in a few years), but they've got 3 or 4 pitching prospects who will be up with the team in 2 years and make a big impact. The ownership has been much better the past few years. A lot has been made of them "Throwing money" at Clemens, but the Red Sox were trying to get him as well. And why not "throw money" at a guy who has consistently been one of the 5 best pitchers in the league for 2 decades?

3. Players. The players being mad at each other or taking cabs home has nothing to do with their performance. They are professional athletes being paid millions of dollars to play the game, I don't think their performances is damaged all too much by it. I mean, A-rod and Jeter don't have sleepovers anymore, and Jeter arguably should've won MVP last year and Arod is putting up crazy, ridonkulous, stupid numbers right now.

4. Manager. What does Torre looking miserable have to do with anything. He's always looked like that. He's not exactly an amazing manager who is going to get his team fired up by ranting and raving. He won 4 world series by sitting with his arms folded. That's his style. I'm sure the fact that he looks miserable is not affecting his decision making.

Awful loss for the fish. We need a legit CFer if we want to contend.

You must be missing my man Juan Pierre.

:hmm

I said "Legit CFer" not "Glorified track star. Pierre would be a slight upgrade, sure, but not that big of an upgrade.

I really hate defending the Yankees, but I hate how Red Sox fans look down on them even more. I understand you are rivals and all, but to the rest of the league, there is no difference between how you operate at this point. You guys are exactly the same thing. As my good friend once said, "The Red Sox are the same monster as the Yankees, but with facial hair".

Again, I'd say that the players' relationships often do affect their play, certainly more than you're letting on. Just because some teams have historically been able to overcome dissent among the ranks does not minimize the positive effects good cameraderie can bring about (and vice versa, the negative effects ill will bbf). ARod was putting up monster numbers. He cooled off considerably in May. I should know; he's on one of my fantasy teams. He's doing okay. What's Cano doing? How about Abreu? Mientkiewicz?

etc.

So Red Sox fans should look at NYY fans as equal peers. Got it.

The NYY and BOS are not cut from the same cloth. In fact, besides both currently having large payrolls, they have very little in common. The Yankees and their fans embody smug self-righteousness as they are used to being a behemoth. They are associated with success and every Tom, Dick, and Rocco on earth latches on to them because of their success (this in no way takes away from the folks who were born and bred as NYY fans, of course). The Red Sox, for the most part, until three years ago have been the loveable losers.

NNY fans and BOS fans will forever snub their noses at eachother and accuse eachother of whatever. It's that simple. I'm not sure why it always rattles you. Maybe it's just a geographic thing you can't fully appreciate, but it is what it is.

Plus, you're missing the point that it is fun to kick Goliath when he has fallen.

Again, I'd say that the players' relationships often do affect their play, certainly more than you're letting on. Just because some teams have historically been able to overcome dissent among the ranks does not minimize the positive effects good cameraderie can bring about (and vice versa, the negative effects ill will bbf). ARod was putting up monster numbers. He cooled off considerably in May. I should know; he's on one of my fantasy teams. He's doing okay. What's Cano doing? How about Abreu? Mientkiewicz?

etc.

Minktkiewicz is not a good hitter, so thats an awful example.

And of course Arod cooled off, you can't slug .800 for a whole year, this is regression the mean, and he's still putting up sick numbers overall. He's gonna heat up again.

I've never been a big fan of Cano's and I always thought he was kind of flukey (even though he did it for 2 years). He's got low contact rates for a .300 hitter, and eventually I thought it would catch up to him. He's not a .342 hitter, and .290 is probably closer to his ability (though Batting Average is based on a lot of luck).

Player's relationships can have an affect on the game, fine. But to point to that as the reason why the Yankees are struggling is ludicrous. The Marlins have an absolute ball on the field and in the clubhouse and they are a sub .500 team. It really has a negligible effect. I'll concede maybe over the course of a season you can win one more game if all 25 players love eachother.

I really hate defending the Yankees, but I hate how Red Sox fans look down on them even more. I understand you are rivals and all, but to the rest of the league, there is no difference between how you operate at this point. You guys are exactly the same thing. As my good friend once said, "The Red Sox are the same monster as the Yankees, but with facial hair".

:pirate Heresy!

I get your point. You gotta understand the way it is being a Mass native and a die-hard sox fan for 40 years. I'm not saying you don't get it because you obviously love baseball and pretty much back up your assertions with well researched stats and all, but you don't have the fervor that the typical Sox fan has when it comes to the Yankees...I'm not ragging on your part of the country but you gotta admit you guys got spoiled real quick when the Marlins came into existence. That being said the pain, dismay, and general angst that being a Sox fan entails can not be imagined by those who do not have it in their veins.

Is it stupid? yep Is it silly? yep but that's just how it is. I stand by my assertions in my previous posts. I think a lot of that "intangible" stuff really does affect the Yankees. They are so used to being the epitome of baseball and I'm saying their starting to show signs of disintegration, and I friggin' love it. They have been strutting around like barnyard roosters for a long time and now is the time for them to fade. That team is a mess....seriously. Don't underestimate the importance of ownership. Ask any Sox fan about the stupidy during the years Yawkey owned the team, or the joke that was the Yawkey Trust running the show....Heywood Sullivan anyone?

Steinbrenner is getting old and dodgy. His Son in Law was supposed to take over but because of the divorce will not. Your gonna have a bunch of people back stabbing and screwing each other over when the Boss croaks and it will affect the team.

Anyways I'm off the soap box. Hey I can go on and on about stats and this and that and I do from time to time, but mostly it is about my unabashed hatred for all things Yankee. Isn't that part of being a fan (short for fanatic)?

When I want to get serious I read the Bill James stuff and Gammos articles, etc but for now I am content with Yankee bashing.

Player's relationships can have an affect on the game, fine. But to point to that as the reason why the Yankees are struggling is ludicrous. The Marlins have an absolute ball on the field and in the clubhouse and they are a sub .500 team. It really has a negligible effect. I'll concede maybe over the course of a season you can win one more game if all 25 players love eachother.

Bobber, nobody's pointing to player relationships as the reason the Yankees are playing sub-.500 ball. I'm just saying it's worth looking at as a reason. And since there's no way of quantifying it, I'll see your one game over the course of the season and raise you 45 games. Every team is going to react to dissention/cameraderie differently. It may have a negligible effect on the Marlins, or maybe they would be ten games under .500 if they didn't get along so well.

:pirate Heresy!

I get your point. You gotta understand the way it is being a Mass native and a die-hard sox fan for 40 years. I'm not saying you don't get it because you obviously love baseball and pretty much back up your assertions with well researched stats and all, but you don't have the fervor that the typical Sox fan has when it comes to the Yankees...I'm not ragging on your part of the country but you gotta admit you guys got spoiled real quick when the Marlins came into existence. That being said the pain, dismay, and general angst that being a Sox fan entails can not be imagined by those who do not have it in their veins.

Is it stupid? yep Is it silly? yep but that's just how it is. I stand by my assertions in my previous posts. I think a lot of that "intangible" stuff really does affect the Yankees. They are so used to being the epitome of baseball and I'm saying their starting to show signs of disintegration, and I friggin' love it. They have been strutting around like barnyard roosters for a long time and now is the time for them to fade. That team is a mess....seriously. Don't underestimate the importance of ownership. Ask any Sox fan about the stupidy during the years Yawkey owned the team, or the joke that was the Yawkey Trust running the show....Heywood Sullivan anyone?

Steinbrenner is getting old and dodgy. His Son in Law was supposed to take over but because of the divorce will not. Your gonna have a bunch of people back stabbing and screwing each other over when the Boss croaks and it will affect the team.

Anyways I'm off the soap box. Hey I can go on and on about stats and this and that and I do from time to time, but mostly it is about my unabashed hatred for all things Yankee. Isn't that part of being a fan (short for fanatic)?

When I want to get serious I read the Bill James stuff and Gammos articles, etc but for now I am content with Yankee bashing.

Hey, by all means, bash them. But don't be shocked that everyone looks at the Sox and Yankees as two sides of the same coin and all that.

I mean, I love a good rivalry (there was a time when I don't think any rivalry matched the intensity of the Knicks vs. Heat, and it was great), but this one's a little bit overblown. I mean, does ESPN really need to show all 19 games they play against each other? I just hate that "THE GREATEST RIVALRY" ever thing is always shoved down our throats.

And I don't think Yankees Mystique really applies in the age of free agency. I mean, does Bobby Abreu really have the Yankees swagger after his 9 months with the team?

Bobber, nobody's pointing to player relationships as the reason the Yankees are playing sub-.500 ball. I'm just saying it's worth looking at as a reason. And since there's no way of quantifying it, I'll see your one game over the course of the season and raise you 45 games. Every team is going to react to dissention/cameraderie differently. It may have a negligible effect on the Marlins, or maybe they would be ten games under .500 if they didn't get along so well.

Scott Olsen got a black eye from Randy Messenger last year and pitched his best game of the season the next day.

i think that while red sox fans hate the yankees, we also fear them. That's the difference. Yankees fear nothing which makes them appear incredibly arrogant, which is kind of too bad for them because they are seriously sucking right now, two games out of three or no.

Scott Olsen got a black eye from Randy Messenger last year and pitched his best game of the season the next day.
Every team is going to react to dissention/cameraderie differently.

Baseball takes a lot of concentration. The fewer things you have to worry about, the better, and if you're worried about your relationships with your teammates (and with management, and with the fans, bbf), that can be a big distraction. Distraction affects concentration. Lack of concentration affects play. Tell me baseball players don't get rattled.

Hey, by all means, bash them. But don't be shocked that everyone looks at the Sox and Yankees as two sides of the same coin and all that.

I mean, I love a good rivalry (there was a time when I don't think any rivalry matched the intensity of the Knicks vs. Heat, and it was great), but this one's a little bit overblown. I mean, does ESPN really need to show all 19 games they play against each other? I just hate that "THE GREATEST RIVALRY" ever thing is always shoved down our throats.

And I don't think Yankees Mystique really applies in the age of free agency. I mean, does Bobby Abreu really have the Yankees swagger after his 9 months with the team?

I hear you. Of course ESPN is gonna hype the crap out of it.....big $$$$ for advertisers and all that. That gets me to a new point. ESPN. I swear I almost can't watch that anymore. ESPN used to be really good now it seems it always just about the anouncers and their stupid catch phrases. I saw a recap of the Spurs-Jazz the othernight and they had that idiot Stephen A. Smith on. WTF? he always does that wide-eyed pissed off, angry black man thing whats up with that? And Kenny Maye with his "Obama!" thing after a highlight? I submit that the corporate bullshit of ESPN (owned by Disney) is ruining sports...just my opinion not trying to start a war here.

Anyway...your right about the free agency thing but I bet you that if you ask any 100 free agents where they would go if they had a choice most of 'em will say NY. The most exposure, most (barf) championships, most money etc.

And I will admit that to non Sox-Yankees fans that the "rivalry" is over hyped and probably does get old.

Baseball takes a lot of concentration. The fewer things you have to worry about, the better, and if you're worried about your relationships with your teammates (and with management, and with the fans, bbf), that can be a big distraction. Distraction affects concentration. Lack of concentration affects play. Tell me baseball players don't get rattled.

I'm sure they get rattled, like when a pitcher throws up and in. I'm not really sure Arod strikes out with the bases loaded because Jason Giambi wouldn't give him a slice of pie.

I'll admit it has some effect, but I would say the fact that they have no pitching right now and have had like 49 players get injured has a lot (Like, a whole lot) more to do with why they are losing so much. If this team gets healthy, they are going to go on a long winning streak and all of a sudden, everyone's going to say the distractions are gone and Torre is going to be happy again. Winning will cure whatever ails them.

It's been said that in baseball, winning creates team chemistry, not vice versa. It may be an oversimplification, but I think there's some truth to it, too.

The Marlins have an absolute ball on the field and in the clubhouse and they are a sub .500 team.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. The Marlins aren't a very good ball club (as hard as it is for me to admit) so regardless of how much fun they have, they aren't going to win a lot of games. But they are also a young team with a lot of clowns (Dontrelle Willis, Cabrera, Hanley Ramirez, and Alfredo Amezaga often have dance contests. The other night Aaron Boone even got in on it, it was quite humorous), so they'll probably have a lot of fun regardless.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. The Marlins aren't a very good ball club (as hard as it is for me to admit) so regardless of how much fun they have, they aren't going to win a lot of games. But they are also a young team with a lot of clowns (Dontrelle Willis, Cabrera, Hanley Ramirez, and Alfredo Amezaga often have dance contests. The other night Aaron Boone even got in on it, it was quite humorous), so they'll probably have a lot of fun regardless.

So when do you think they are gonna trade Willis? Been hearing some rumors about that

Just having a little fun myself.

I absolutely agree that chemistry is not necessarily going to be a major factor in a team's performance. I'm just saying it can have a much greater effect than you're willing to concede.

So when do you think they are gonna trade Willis? Been hearing some rumors about that

I don't think he's going to get traded, at least not this season. But if he does get traded I wouldn't expect anything until the all star break at the earliest. They want to get the rest of the rotation healthy before they make any moves. If Nolasco, Johnson, and Anibal Sanchez can get healthy and pitch well by the deadline I wouldn't be surprised to see them move him, but I wouldn't expect to see him in a Mets uniform, like most of the reports indicate. They'd have to give up Mike Pelfrey and Lastings Milledge plus one more in order for the Marlins to move him within the division, and I'm not sure the Mets would go for that.

http://www.sunherald.com/306/story/61308.html

ST. LOUIS --The father of Josh Hancock filed suit Thursday, claiming among other things that a popular St. Louis restaurant continued to provide drinks to the Cardinals relief pitcher even though he was clearly intoxicated prior to the drunk-driving crash that killed him.

The suit filed in St. Louis Circuit Court does not specify damages. It does not name the Cardinals or Major League Baseball.

But the suit brought by Dean Hancock of Tupelo, Miss., names Mike Shannon's Restaurant, which is owned by the longtime Cardinals broadcaster who starred on three World Series teams in the 1960s. It also names Shannon's daughter, Patricia Shannon Van Matre, the restaurant manager; Eddie's Towing, the company whose flatbed tow truck was struck by Hancock's sport utility vehicle in the early hours of April 29; tow truck driver Jacob Edward Hargrove; and Justin Tolar, the driver whose stalled car on Interstate 64 was being assisted by Hargrove.

Authorities said Hancock, 29, had a blood content of nearly twice the legal limit for alcohol in his system when he crashed into the back of the tow truck. He was also speeding, using a cell phone and wasn't wearing a seat belt, Police Chief Joe Mokwa said days after the accident. Marijuana was also found in the SUV.

Mokwa said Hancock went to Shannon's not long after the Cardinals played a day game against the Chicago Cubs on April 28. The lawsuit claimed that Hancock was a regular at the restaurant bar and was there for more than 3 1/2 hours.

"It's understood that for the entire three-and-a-half hours that Josh Hancock was there that he was handed drinks," said Keith Kantack, an attorney for Dean Hancock. "It's our understanding that from the moment Josh Hancock entered Mike Shannon's that night that he was never without a drink."

A person answering phones at the restaurant declined comment. A message left with Van Matre was not returned.

The lawsuit claimed Tolar was negligent in allowing the vehicle to reach the point where it stalled on the highway, and for failing to move it out of the way of oncoming traffic.

Hargrove parked the tow truck behind the stalled car. Police said he arrived there just moments before the truck was struck by Hancock's SUV. But Kantack said the tow truck may have been there up to 15 minutes, yet failed to get the stalled vehicle out of the way.

"Were the police contacted?" Kantack asked. "Why weren't flares put out? Why was the tow truck there for an exorbitant amount of time?"

Tolar did not have a listed telephone number. Calls to the towing company were met with a busy signal.

Kantack said others could be named later in the suit. He declined to speculate on whether the Cardinals or Major League Baseball could be added to the suit, but said the Hancock family has been "overwhelmed by the support and respect the Cardinals have shown since Josh's passing."

In a written statement, Dean Hancock said the "facts and circumstances" of Josh's death "have caused great pain to all of Josh's family." As administrator of his son's estate, Dean Hancock said he has an obligation to represent the family on all issues, "including any legal actions necessary against those who contributed to the untimely and unnecessary death ..."

You know, it's sad that he was a young guy and has died, but cripes it's now everybody else's fault besides the guy that drank the booze, had the weed, made the decision to drive, and was speeding while talking on his phone? And opted not to wear a seatbelt. Incredible.

The suit filed in St. Louis Circuit Court does not specify damages. It does not name the Cardinals or Major League Baseball.

But the suit brought by Dean Hancock of Tupelo, Miss., names Mike Shannon's Restaurant, which is owned by the longtime Cardinals broadcaster who starred on three World Series teams in the 1960s. It also names Shannon's daughter, Patricia Shannon Van Matre, the restaurant manager; Eddie's Towing, the company whose flatbed tow truck was struck by Hancock's sport utility vehicle in the early hours of April 29; tow truck driver Jacob Edward Hargrove; and Justin Tolar, the driver whose stalled car on Interstate 64 was being assisted by Hargrove.

You might be a rock 'n' roll addict prancing on the stage,

You might have drugs at your command, women in a cage,

You may be a rocket arm, and pitch in relief,

They may call you Doctor or they may call you Chief

But you're gonna have to blame somebody, yes indeed

You're gonna have to blame somebody,

Well, it may be the tow truck or it may be the Lord

But you're gonna have to blame somebody.

http://www.sunherald.com/306/story/61308.html

ST. LOUIS --The father of Josh Hancock filed suit Thursday, claiming among other things that a popular St. Louis restaurant continued to provide drinks to the Cardinals relief pitcher even though he was clearly intoxicated prior to the drunk-driving crash that killed him.

Authorities said Hancock, 29, had a blood content of nearly twice the legal limit for alcohol in his system when he crashed into the back of the tow truck. He was also speeding, using a cell phone and wasn't wearing a seat belt, Police Chief Joe Mokwa said days after the accident. Marijuana was also found in the SUV.

Mokwa said Hancock went to Shannon's not long after the Cardinals played a day game against the Chicago Cubs on April 28. The lawsuit claimed that Hancock was a regular at the restaurant bar and was there for more than 3 1/2 hours.

"It's understood that for the entire three-and-a-half hours that Josh Hancock was there that he was handed drinks," said Keith Kantack, an attorney for Dean Hancock. "It's our understanding that from the moment Josh Hancock entered Mike Shannon's that night that he was never without a drink."

A person answering phones at the restaurant declined comment. A message left with Van Matre was not returned.

The lawsuit claimed Tolar was negligent in allowing the vehicle to reach the point where it stalled on the highway, and for failing to move it out of the way of oncoming traffic.

Hargrove parked the tow truck behind the stalled car. Police said he arrived there just moments before the truck was struck by Hancock's SUV. But Kantack said the tow truck may have been there up to 15 minutes, yet failed to get the stalled vehicle out of the way.

"Were the police contacted?" Kantack asked. "Why weren't flares put out? Why was the tow truck there for an exorbitant amount of time?"

Tolar did not have a listed telephone number. Calls to the towing company were met with a busy signal.

Kantack said others could be named later in the suit. He declined to speculate on whether the Cardinals or Major League Baseball could be added to the suit, but said the Hancock family has been "overwhelmed by the support and respect the Cardinals have shown since Josh's passing."

In a written statement, Dean Hancock said the "facts and circumstances" of Josh's death "have caused great pain to all of Josh's family." As administrator of his son's estate, Dean Hancock said he has an obligation to represent the family on all issues, "including any legal actions necessary against those who contributed to the untimely and unnecessary death ..."

Hmmmm...I know that establishments can be held liable for drunk driving stuff but I dunno where's the personal responsibility in all this? Were they forcing the drinks down his throat? It's a terrible thing but damn, would his old man be suing if he (Hancock) killed somebody else as a result of his drunk driving?

You might be a rock 'n' roll addict prancing on the stage,

You might have drugs at your command, women in a cage,

You may be a rocket arm, and pitch in relief,

They may call you Doctor or they may call you Chief

But you're gonna have to blame somebody, yes indeed

You're gonna have to blame somebody,

Well, it may be the tow truck or it may be the Lord

But you're gonna have to blame somebody.

That is fucking hillarious! :thumbup