Exactly. Believe me, there's not a drop of feeling for them. I heartily guffaw at their misfortunes.

Nice use of the word guffaw! And hopefully there will be plenty of that this year for them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they make the playoffs this year. Their offense is still a force (tied for third in runs in all of MLB), and a rotation of Clemens, Wang, Mussina, Pettitte, Hughes sounds pretty good down the stretch. They still have some major bullpen issues, but I don't know if that will be enough to keep them out.

They have been getting all the calls their way for years now. Or so it seems

I wouldn't mind seeing it go the other way for a solid decade or so.

Do you believe in karma, Jeffrey Maier?

jeffm.jpg

For the record, I'm still scared of the Yankees this year.

I fully expect them to be in first place again at some point. But until then, I will laugh. And then if/when my prediction comes true I will then cry and never venture into the baseball thread again.

Sure, you never can count out the Yankees. But this year I'm thinking that the luster on that team is very much starting to dull.

1. Their pitching. Sure Clemmons is coming blah blah blah. I'm going on the record saying it will be a sucky (half) season for him. Mussina looked like shit yesterday, Pettite and Wang are still good but in a nutshell their pitching is not as healthy as it should be.

2. Ownership. Steinbrenner is only rarely wheeled out in public these days. He's not doing so well. The heir apparent to the team is now in the process of divorcing Steinbrenners daughter. The rest of the ownership group are running around like idiots, who is running this team?

3. Players. Sure they allways act business-like and whatnot but does anybody seriously believe that they are a happy team? Matsui looks like he's gonna die of boredom. Farnsworth is spouting off about Clemmons getting that sweet-heart deal. A-Rod is tearing it up (but will not in the fall) when he's not busy grabbing his crotch.Seriously watch that guy, he yanks at his crotch after every play or pitch. Giambi is failing dope tests and running off at the mouth about steroids. That team is getting to be like the Sox of old 25 players, 25 cabs.

4. Manager. Does Torre not look like he is abso-fucking-loutely miserable out there?

It's all adding up. It's time the rest of the AL and the Sox in particular really start piling it on. Sure it's only May but the time is ripe. You can never count them out but everything that needs to happen to give them a shit season is lined-up and happening. It would be really nice for them to have an awful season.

The Sox have been very lucky to have no key injuries/major DL stints. They've come charging out of the gates with the club they had on paper at the end of Spring Training. This is great, of course. Manny has yet to hit his stride and JD Drew is sucking fumes, but the team is still the best offensively and the best pitching-wise in the A.L.

With this in mind, like any team they're really only a key injury or two from being knocked down a few pegs. I expect the NYY to get back to NNY-form by mid-season or shortly thereafter, and per annually, hope that BOS can be right there with them, but of course a few steps ahead - barring key injuries.

Sure, you never can count out the Yankees. But this year I'm thinking that the luster on that team is very much starting to dull.

1. Their pitching. Sure Clemmons is coming blah blah blah. I'm going on the record saying it will be a sucky (half) season for him. Mussina looked like shit yesterday, Pettite and Wang are still good but in a nutshell their pitching is not as healthy as it should be.

2. Ownership. Steinbrenner is only rarely wheeled out in public these days. He's not doing so well. The heir apparent to the team is now in the process of divorcing Steinbrenners daughter. The rest of the ownership group are running around like idiots, who is running this team?

3. Players. Sure they allways act business-like and whatnot but does anybody seriously believe that they are a happy team? Matsui looks like he's gonna die of boredom. Farnsworth is spouting off about Clemmons getting that sweet-heart deal. A-Rod is tearing it up (but will not in the fall) when he's not busy grabbing his crotch.Seriously watch that guy, he yanks at his crotch after every play or pitch. Giambi is failing dope tests and running off at the mouth about steroids. That team is getting to be like the Sox of old 25 players, 25 cabs.

4. Manager. Does Torre not look like he is abso-fucking-loutely miserable out there?

It's all adding up. It's time the rest of the AL and the Sox in particular really start piling it on. Sure it's only May but the time is ripe. You can never count them out but everything that needs to happen to give them a shit season is lined-up and happening. It would be really nice for them to have an awful season.

3 of these 4 things have absolutely no effect on the game on the field. Can you guys which one does?

I think that clubhouse atmosphere can conceiveably make a difference sometimes, but I think it's a small one, and I don't really see much happening there that wasn't the case for them last year as well when they had the best record in baseball.

Drove down to Trenton tonight to see Clemens pitch for the Double A Thunder. It was really cool seeing him in such a small venue, kind of like a JT solo show. His command wasn't great but his intensity was there. Good times.

3 of these 4 things have absolutely no effect on the game on the field. Can you guys which one does?

What????!!!!!! no intensely detailed statistical analysis to follow??

I understand your point, but playing in NY is like being in a fish-bowl. A lot of off field stuff has a large effect on the on field performance.

Anyways I'm just a fan ranting about my hatred for the Yankees and taking joy in the fact they seem fucked up.

Sorry I had no sabermetric shit to pontificate with.

I understand your point, but playing in NY is like being in a fish-bowl. A lot of off field stuff has a large effect on the on field performance.

He doesn't have a point. Perhaps you could make the case that ownership doesn't have anything to do with what happens on the field (I would say it does), but the other three most definitely have an effect. Certainly pitching and player attitude. No question about those two. Managerial decisionmaking can absolutely have an effect on games, especially when it comes to late-game pitching matchups (Grady Little?). Ownership, too, can cause distractions which can affect players on and off the field, not to mention that ownership is responsible for putting the team together in the first place...

He doesn't have a point. Perhaps you could make the case that ownership doesn't have anything to do with what happens on the field (I would say it does), but the other three most definitely have an effect. Certainly pitching and player attitude. No question about those two. Managerial decisionmaking can absolutely have an effect on games, especially when it comes to late-game pitching matchups (Grady Little?). Ownership, too, can cause distractions which can affect players on and off the field, not to mention that ownership is responsible for putting the team together in the first place...

You're ruining Earl's bit.