Jeff Tweedy @ The Vic

erin and i were joking about how we hope jeff manages to sell tickets on the european tour now...once they get ahold of this recording, im not sure those interviewers will be too happy! :lol (but it was all in good fun, of course..as he said, he loves europe)

this was too much fun..like a living room show all over again. the setlist was fantastic, i heard about 4 or 5 that i have never heard live before after 3 years of going to shows, so that was exciting! auld triangle sounded amazing, the good part was a highlight, and that modified version of hummingbird was fun just because he never plays it solo..had a nice little rhythm to it

it was good to see so many familiar faces there as well! thanks to kelly who saved us some fantastic seats. sorry we couldnt hang out at clarkes afterwards, but we were all exhausted...

and johnny, once again, your work is absolutely incredible. great job on the poster :thumbup

i took quite a few photos, but am still going through them...here's just one to leave you with for now (my apologies to jeff for catching him in the middle of his "facial olympics" story :lol)

facialolympics.jpg

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Before the doors were open, Sue walked through the line and took requests. She wrote the song and the name of the requester on large sheets of paper which were taped down on stage as Jeff's songlist. For the most part, Jeff announced the names of the requesters from the stage.

I've never seen anything quite like this before.

Yeah, what the hell?!? That is insanely cool.

Acuff Rose - ended show (No PA)

Gets me every time. Wish I could have been there for that alone.

I think lessthanIthink remembered most of the songs, but there was also "The Auld Triangle" (!)

:o Holy crap. OK, so Acuff-Rose, and this one. Just for those two.

I keep trying to think of new ways to say "Jeff and Susan are a couple of wonderful, generous people" but I guess that pretty much sums it up.

:yes

Who requested "The Good Part"?
that was jlackey

He is a man of many talents. :worship

"The Auld Triangle" (!)

Did someone request this?

I love that this whole "take one request from everyone" idea that started with the private shows may become a Tweedy "thing", because it's just brilliant. It'll be even more fun when people start requesting more weirdo covers. Anything could happen! :shifty

What a great laid back show. The taking of requests on the sidewalk was wonderful. I requested John Wesley Harding and it got played. Jeff was funny as hell and played 30 songs. The Vic was as close to sold out as I think a benefit like this could be. Sitting in the balcony with Dave and LeeAnn was fun and the sound was great. The balcony was nearly filled to the back wall. I honestly don't understand why the Vic throws people out quite as quickly as it does (they always do, not just last night for this benefit) since they could certainly sell more drinks and good will. Definitley more posters could have been sold if they hadn't thrown us out so fast. I am sure everyone will want one and a link will be posted soon.

As always alot of the fun is before and after the show. Despite the cold the sidewalk outside the Vic, where we have spent many hours, was fun. Meeting John(ny) and Jenny and the boys (sounds like a bluegrass group) from Lexington was really nice and John's poster is brilliant. After the show we went for a late night bite to Clarke's for an additional hour. Every show I meet more new interesting VCers from either around the country or right here in Chicago. Looking forward to the moderately near Wilco shows this summer and some day I am going to jump in my car and visit everyone I have met (look-out...).

I hope a good tape emerges, not simply for the songs, but the patter was hilareous. Jeff was relaxed and funny. It looks like the spring and summer tour is going to be grueling, so good luck to Jeff and the band as they go on their way. Come back to Chicago soon though....

LouieB

some day I am going to jump in my car and visit everyone I have met (look-out...).

We'll keep the spare room ready for ya, Lou!

Sounds like Stacy and I missed out on a great time.

Ok, where do i start? What a terrific show that was. I got to hear lots of songs that aren't usually played, including my personal request "You Are My Face," which is currently my favorite song on SBS. I really wasn't sure if he was going to play that one, but i am very pleased that i was there to witness the first public performance of such a great song and i am grateful to Jeff for playing it. I always loved hearing him do "The Auld Triangle" too. That was another highlight that stood out for me. Jeff was really funny up there, more so than usual. He interacted very well with the audience, which was very well behaved, talking only in between songs. It made for a terrific atmosphere.

I met so many new faces last night: Edie, Scott, Johnny(thanks for the sandwich), Brianne, Allison, lessthanithink(i forgot your real name, i apologize) and the legendary LouieB. I'm sure im forgetting a few others. It was nice seeing you again, Wendy. Thanks for protecting my new poster from potential damage during the show. I cant for the next Chicago concert. I plan on "being there." Thanks again, everybody, for helping to make it such a great night.

~Aaron

Great show! Good to see familiar faces, even though I have no idea who most of you are... not a regular on VC, as you can see.

it was good to see so many familiar faces there as well! thanks to kelly who saved us some fantastic seats. sorry we couldnt hang out at clarkes afterwards, but we were all exhausted...

Hey! This is Corrine, Kelly's friend. I was sitting two seats to your left.. anyway, you took some great pictures, just to let you know. haha

I tried for I Must Be High (even though he didn't play it at the living room show), but no dice. He said that it's emasculating. I then did a brainlock for a backup. Oh well, it was still a good rendition of Impossible Germany.

Ok first time poster. I agree with so many people. What a great show. So cool of Sue and Jeff to do/arrange an all request show. Got there early and was lucky enough to get my request in (Either Way). Each new album is the best.

So great to enjoy the show w/ so many fellow Ensemblers. (Happy BDay TJR)

Sounds like Clarke's was fun(beware the bathrooms), but our posse caught the second half of another show over at Nicks Beer Garden (BLT played).

What an enjoyable way to help kids!!

P.S> Hey Mel..Drop C on Germany..Jeez?!?!?!

I was also at the show last night. Looks like I just missed getting a request in. I was standing in line behind "Katie," who requested "Remember the Mountain Bed." Bummer I didn't get a request in, but definitely a good show.

I had debated not going to the show due to a lack of funds, but there's a chance that this will be my last show for awhile. I'm graduating college and moving to Lincoln, NE to go to dental school. Hopefully Jeff got a good impression when he played in Lincoln last year and will be back! Anyway, I'm really glad that I went last night. It was easily worth the $100!

Down the row was Warner and Chandler taping.

Where can I get a copy of this show? For some reason I can't get into bt.viachicago.org! Is it down? Are shows being posted elsewhere?

I was also at the show last night. Looks like I just missed getting a request in. I was standing in line behind "Katie," who requested "Remember the Mountain Bed." Bummer I didn't get a request in, but definitely a good show.

I had debated not going to the show due to a lack of funds, but there's a chance that this will be my last show for awhile. I'm graduating college and moving to Lincoln, NE to go to dental school. Hopefully Jeff got a good impression when he played in Lincoln last year and will be back! Anyway, I'm really glad that I went last night. It was easily worth the $100!

Where can I get a copy of this show? For some reason I can't get into bt.viachicago.org! Is it down? Are shows being posted elsewhere?

I would imagine the show will be posted within the next few weeks. It'll probably be on bt.etree or dimeadozen or a similar site. A little patience is required, but it'll be worth it. :)

OK, now I have a bit more time....

Wendy: : :stunned for that drive home. Nothing worse than a sleepy white-knuckler! :cheekkiss to you

The J4s: Awesome to see you guys (your kids are sooo sweet) for the impromptu dinner and warmup, and the poster left me breathless (and $10 lighter). Johnny, the only thing is that I want to get BOTH your and Jeff's autograph on it before I get it framed. Also sorry not to have chatted a bit after the show (actually that goes for everyone). Maybe we can all hang out this summer 4 real??

Warner: The "present" was the bestest thing that you could have possibly handed to me. I was :dancing all the way home!!!

Allison: Thanks for being the best seat partner -- only sorry that a couple of the Montessori crowd did not seem to understand that Jeff actually LIKES it when we sing along :lol

Chris/Chandler/Morgs and the rest of the LR show crew, great to have seen you all again. Erin, seriously, I think you should always accompany Jeff on Jesus etc!

tjr (Tom) a very happy birthday too.

Also, my favorite piece of banter was about the one journalist that Jeff said was sniffing a black rose during the entire interview. Priceless. For the banter alone, I highy recommend the recording when it becomes available. Many thanks in advance to MKH and CKC for their efforts.

Edie

PS: oh and Aaron -- nice to have met you! Thanks for keeping Scott company!

Ahhh, the jealousy knows no bounds, but reading it here and experiencing it through all of your eyes (and cameras, very cool, Morgan! :thumbup ) is definitely the next best thing. Thank you for every description and happy moment shared. In my mind's eye, I was there.

Johnny, your poster turned out to be a masterwork. I want to climb right into it and relax in that fantastic treehouse. It's wonderful. :worship

I've heard a ton of Jeff solo shows over the years, and this may be the best. Outstanding set list and great banter. Thanks, Jeff and Sue!

The taper (Warner or Chandler?) said the show would be up in a month or so. I can't wait!

What was the spiral bound Wilco book floating around? I was sitting a couple rows back from the reserved floor seats and saw some folks with it. Just curious...

Did someone request this?

It was a request, yes. I think Paul was keeping track of who asked for which songs (as Jeff announced them) so he might even know who it was.

Nice pictures, Morgan! They told us "no cameras" as we were going inside - I had a moment of panic because I had mine with me and my car was about half a mile away, but then I realized there was no way they were going to check. I still didn't have the guts to take it out during the show, though. I'm glad you did.

Nice pictures, Morgan! They told us "no cameras" as we were going inside - I had a moment of panic because I had mine with me and my car was about half a mile away, but then I realized there was no way they were going to check. I still didn't have the guts to take it out during the show, though. I'm glad you did.

hmm thats weird, i was told that jeff and sue had said that cameras were allowed, just no flash during the show. no one said anything to me! then again we did get there right as the show was about to start, and they usually dont care at that point.

I don't think it's uncommon for the Vic folks to be a little confused about stuff. ;) When we first went in, we had to tell the security people that some of the seats were reserved. Anyway, I saw other people taking pictures during the show too - I'm sure it was intended to be allowed.

Setlist:

01 Remember the Mountain Bed

02 Radio King

03 The Community Song ("Look around and you will see, community -- a family. We are brothers, sisters all.")

04 John Wesley Harding

05 The Ruling Class

06 New Madrid

07 The Auld Triangle (cover [popularized by the Pogues])

08 You Are My Face

09 Hummingbird

10 Camera

11 What Light

12 Airline to Heaven

13 Pot Kettle Black

14 When the Roses Bloom Again

15 Either Way

16 Love and Mercy (Brian Wilson cover)

17 The Community Song

18 Shot in the Arm

19 The Good Part

20 Impossible Germany

21 The Lonely 1

22 Cars Can't Escape

23 Pecan Pie

24 Less Than You Think

25 Hell Is Chrome

26 Gun

27 I'm the Man Who Loves You

28 Jesus, Etc.

29 Passenger Side

30 Acuff-Rose (no mic)

I think this is right, but someone might want to verify it because I was recording everything on a scrap of paper. Great show (songs and banter), especially "Acuff-Rose" at the end. Thanks so much to Sue and Jeff for putting this together.

I too was at this amazing show. Just wish i got a request in, but cant complain about the set list. The highlight for me was:

You Are My Face - jeff said it was the first time he played this song in public and it was probably the best song all night. Jeff's voice sounded really strong and the guitar was amazing.

Other highlights were Pot Kettle Black, the good part, Hell is Crome, jesus, etc, and of course Acuff-Rose off mic was unbelievable. :thumbup

What was the spiral bound Wilco book floating around? I was sitting a couple rows back from the reserved floor seats and saw some folks with it. Just curious...

Hey max! It's no collector's item or anything, but it was my personal copy of the final report from the "Bring Wilco to Fort Wayne" project which is attempting to bring the band to our fair city. If you want, you can read a pdf of that same report at here (click on "what we found 4-4-07"). For example: Next band at the Embassy? Stix. :dontgetit

I was designated to deliver Jeff and Sue's packet in person at the show if I could (and I did pass it on to Sue :thumbup ). Other copies have been sent to TMM Management and High Road Touring, and delivered by hand to Embassy Theatre management, Embassy board of directors, Downtown Improvement District, city council, etc. The guys behind this project are huge fans and are very persistent and determined to make change. It's really way overdue. We have to get these people out of the 1980's.