Jeff Tweedy @ The Vic

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I concur with all of this! And Brianne it was great to see you again, and to meet PaulBop.

Johnny, it was great to see you again - and your whole family! I already told you how much I liked the poster, and now that it's signed by the artist I'll have to find a place of honor for it.

I love that Jeff has been playing Love and Mercy lately. It's one of Brian Wilson's masterpieces, and I was trying, horribly, to mimic the 16 tracks of harmonies as Jeff requested! I was stunned he did "You Are My Face", then I was elated: I leaned over to my wife and said it was worth the ticket price just for that. Then he did the demo of "Hummingbird" and L&M... worth far more than the ticket price.

Kidsmoke, Donna-girl, I have a poster for you that I will ship out when I get home.

I love that Jeff has been playing Love and Mercy lately. It's one of Brian Wilson's masterpieces, and I was trying, horribly, to mimic the 16 tracks of harmonies as Jeff requested! I was stunned he did "You Are My Face", then I was elated: I leaned over to my wife and said it was worth the ticket price just for that. Then he did the demo of "Hummingbird" and L&M... worth far more than the ticket price.

Kidsmoke, Donna-girl, I have a poster for you that I will ship out when I get home.

Maxtheadorable, you have just made my Easter Sunday a day of ham, jellybeans, and elated w00t-iness! The ham and jellybeans were already here, but the :w00t was provided by your mention of this poster. Damn, I really am going to have to get a house with more wallspace to accommodate all these beautiful works of art!

Thank you, thank you, I'm thrilled! :dance :cheers :hug :banana Remind me later; I have something to pass along to you as well! :cheekkiss

Johnny, Chris, it makes me very happy to know you're still wearing your bracelets from LR3....every time I see mine, it reminds me of what a great night that was, and what stellar people I shared it with! :thumbup

Ah, I would have loved to hear this. Weird, my best friend was hoping for it too. I can't remember, what song did you end up requesting?

So he actually played "Venus"?

Thank you. A lot of it was Photoshopped.

Here's the original pencil drawing.

Unless I'm out dragging my kids through the desert, I'll be there! :cheers

John, you know there's a little voice inside your head saying "Go to Bonnaroo". Listen to the voice.

Thank you, thank you, I'm thrilled! :dance :cheers :hug :banana Remind me later; I have something to pass along to you as well! :cheekkiss

Johnny, Chris, it makes me very happy to know you're still wearing your bracelets from LR3....every time I see mine, it reminds me of what a great night that was, and what stellar people I shared it with! :thumbup

I've got mine on right now

:thumbup

You can't see it in that picture though, because my thumb's blocking the way, but I assure you, it's there.

a bit random, before the show started i was talking to one of the security guys. he was really nice, had never heard of jeff or wilco and commented on what a nice thing it was to have a charity show, etc. at some point in the conversation he found out i had flown in from out of town to go to the show and how many wilco/jeff concerts i'd been to. i think he thought i was a bit crazy, over the top, unusual. at the bathroom break, the security guy came up to me with a huge smile and said "i understand why you flew into town for this, definitely well worth it! what a great show!"

at the bathroom break, the security guy came up to me with a huge smile and said "i understand why you flew into town for this, definitely well worth it! what a great show!"

Good story! Jeff's music definitely speaks for itself.

I'll let you know pretty soon. I have a lot of design work I put off for a month to do the posters that I have to catch up with, then I'll get it figured out. Hopefully Wed or Thursday. :cheers

I'll let you know pretty soon. I have a lot of design work I put off for a month to do the posters that I have to catch up with, then I'll get it figured out. Hopefully Wed or Thursday. :cheers

i didnt even plan on getting a poster, but when i saw it at the show it was so awesome i had to buy one. Nice work :thumbup

Setlist:

01 Remember the Mountain Bed

02 Radio King

03 The Community Song ("Look around and you will see, community -- a family. We are brothers, sisters all.")

04 John Wesley Harding

05 The Ruling Class

06 New Madrid

07 The Auld Triangle (cover [popularized by the Pogues])

08 You Are My Face

09 Hummingbird

10 Camera

11 What Light

12 Airline to Heaven

13 Pot Kettle Black

14 When the Roses Bloom Again

15 Either Way

16 Love and Mercy (Brian Wilson cover)

17 The Community Song

18 Shot in the Arm

19 The Good Part

20 Impossible Germany

21 The Lonely 1

22 Cars Can't Escape

23 Pecan Pie

24 Less Than You Think

25 Hell Is Chrome

26 Gun

27 I'm the Man Who Loves You

28 Jesus, Etc.

29 Passenger Side

30 Acuff-Rose (no mic)

I think this is right, but someone might want to verify it because I was recording everything on a scrap of paper. Great show (songs and banter), especially "Acuff-Rose" at the end. Thanks so much to Sue and Jeff for putting this together.

I didn't read through all the pages so I don't know if its been asked- but what's "The Community Song?" :)

I didn't read through all the pages so I don't know if its been asked- but what's "The Community Song?" :)

It's a Montessori song -- usually done by pre-school age kids.

Community Song

Look around and you will see,

a family, community, we are friends, we are one.

Join your hands and you will see,

A family, community, we are brothers, we are one.

Join your hands and you will see, a family, community, we are s i s t e r s ,

we are one.

I suppose asking for obscure songs is all part of the game at a show like this. Jeff had the option (which he took) not to sing some of them and others he did sing (I also didn't recognize one of the songs....). There were plenty of "hits" and by ending with such popular solo songs as Pecan Pie and Acuff Rose, he hit the right note to end the show on.

Love and Mercy was a song Jeff did back in the Lounge Ax days.....It is the one good song off of a rather mediocre album Brian Wilson put out in one of his more depressing periods. I for one hope never to hear Henry and the H Bombs again after Abbey show with the insistent and obnoxious requests for it and Jeff finally agreeing to sing it.

Has a copy of this show surfaced yet? The talk between songs is worth checking out, some of the funniest stuff ever. I hope no one edits it out.

LouieB

Has a copy of this show surfaced yet? The talk between songs is worth checking out, some of the funniest stuff ever. I hope no one edits it out.

LouieB

I'm anxiously awaiting this as well, especially since we weren't able to attend. :ohwell

It sounds like a night to remember!

my parents were at this show, my mom asks me if every song on the radio is hootie and the blowfish and knows nothing about music but thought the show was beautiful sounding and really enjoyed the music, the banter, atmosphere, she still appreciated how great of a show it was - so i think the obscureness worked if for nothing else because of jeff. I cant bring myself to say a negative thing about this show, all around perfect

I suppose asking for obscure songs is all part of the game at a show like this. Jeff had the option (which he took) not to sing some of them and others he did sing (I also didn't recognize one of the songs....). There were plenty of "hits" and by ending with such popular solo songs as Pecan Pie and Acuff Rose, he hit the right note to end the show on.

Love and Mercy was a song Jeff did back in the Lounge Ax days.....It is the one good song off of a rather mediocre album Brian Wilson put out in one of his more depressing periods. I for one hope never to hear Henry and the H Bombs again after Abbey show with the insistent and obnoxious requests for it and Jeff finally agreeing to sing it.

LouieB

Was "Love and Mercy" a fan request? I'm a big fan of that song; saw Brian Wilson live a few times a few years ago, and he closed his shows with that song.

It would be interesting to see how many VCer's requested a song last Friday, and Jeff played it. I know there were quite a few. Mine was "New Madrid"; yours was "John Wesley Harding" right? Matt requested "Either Way", ...