Jeff Tweedy @ The Vic

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm currently working on my degree in Early Childhood Education and the Montessori method has intrigued me for a while now but once I saw that Jeff and Sue send their kids to a Montessori school I became even more intrigued. How mega-fan of me. Back on topic-- I'm very jealous of all who attended the show. I hope you all had a great time and I can't wait to see what all you have to say about it! :D

Jeff supporting alternative education makes me a very happy person. Since I ... alternative educate. Greatest thing since breathing I swear. Montessoris are really great. I think the ones out by be are actually funded by the public school...

Before the doors were open, Sue walked through the line and took requests. She wrote the song and the name of the requester on large sheets of paper which were taped down on stage as Jeff's songlist. For the most part, Jeff announced the names of the requesters from the stage.

I've never seen anything quite like this before.

I didn't keep a setlist, but here is some of what was played.

Remember the Mountain Bed

Radio King

Kamera

Pot Kettle Black

Pecan Pie

The Lonely 1

A Shot in The Arm

Less than You Think

The Good Part

Cars Can't Escape

Either Way

You Are My Face

What Light

Impossible Germany

Hummingbird

Hell Is Chrome

Airline To Heaven

John Wesley Harding

Jesus Etc.

I'm The Man Who Loves You

When The Roses Bloom Again

Passenger Side

Gun

New Madrid

Acuff Rose - ended show (No PA)

A certain trusty fellow has the complete setlist, and I'm sure he'll post it in the next day or so if nobody else has one. What a super show. I think lessthanIthink remembered most of the songs, but there was also "The Auld Triangle" (!)

I was thrilled to finally hear "Pot Kettle Black" again. And "Less Than You Think," of course. :) Oh, and I thought "You Are My Face" was terrific live. I can't wait to see it played with the full band. Also thoroughly enjoyed Jeff's "German interviewer" impressions. All of his impressions, actually.

I keep trying to think of new ways to say "Jeff and Susan are a couple of wonderful, generous people" but I guess that pretty much sums it up.

Evonne, everyone thought of you afterward at Clarke's when the side of bacon arrived. I believe you have photographic evidence!

Before the doors were open, Sue walked through the line and took requests. She wrote the song and the name of the requester on large sheets of paper which were taped down on stage as Jeff's songlist. For the most part, Jeff announced the names of the requesters from the stage.

That was very cool of her.

Setlist:

01 Remember the Mountain Bed

02 Radio King

03 The Community Song ("Look around and you will see, community -- a family. We are brothers, sisters all.")

04 John Wesley Harding

05 The Ruling Class

06 New Madrid

07 The Auld Triangle (cover [popularized by the Pogues])

08 You Are My Face

09 Hummingbird

10 Camera

11 What Light

12 Airline to Heaven

13 Pot Kettle Black

14 When the Roses Bloom Again

15 Either Way

16 Love and Mercy (Brian Wilson cover)

17 The Community Song

18 Shot in the Arm

19 The Good Part

20 Impossible Germany

21 The Lonely 1

22 Cars Can't Escape

23 Pecan Pie

24 Less Than You Think

25 Hell Is Chrome

26 Gun

27 I'm the Man Who Loves You

28 Jesus, Etc.

29 Passenger Side

30 Acuff-Rose (no mic)

I think this is right, but someone might want to verify it because I was recording everything on a scrap of paper. Great show (songs and banter), especially "Acuff-Rose" at the end. Thanks so much to Sue and Jeff for putting this together.

I cannot believe I drove through a white-out blizzard for 2 of my 3-1/2 hours home tonight. :blink Freakish, I tell you, and not a lot of fun.

But it was a really fun night at The Vic (and afterwards at Clarke's too!)

It was cool to be on the floor of the Vic for a change - I usually like the front row balcony seats at the Vic, but this was a seated show and Allison had saved me a seat in the center of the 2nd elevated area on the floor, along with Edie & Scott, Erin, Morgan, Kristin, and Aaron. Down the row was Warner and Chandler taping. Being seated was perfect for this show, and the audience was wonderful. I don't know how full the balcony was, but the main floor was pretty much full in case anyone wonders about the turn-out.

Jeff sounded great, bantered great. Although you will be able to hear it all for yourselves on the recording, here's two things:

Jeff said that his confidence had been blown earlier in the day by his son. Jeff was practicing in the basement when his son came downstairs and asked, "Dad, are you okay?" to which Jeff replied, "Yeah. Why?" And his son says, "Well, because you usually sound better."

And one more -- Jeff commented on his own scholastic record as a kid. He admitted he hadn't been a great student, but recently he came across one of his own report cards, and it showed that he flunked creative writing. :lol

Jeff was practicing in the basement when his son came downstairs and asked, "Dad, are you okay?" to which Jeff replied, "Yeah. Why?" And his son says, "Well, because you usually sound better."

:rotfl Don't we all just love kids and how they blurp out what's on their minds :lol?

i woke up this morning with the community song in my head (no kidding). what a great show! jeff was in top form. "what light" was my request! very cool of Sue to come out and take requests from us!

Great show last night. Thanks to Sue for posting here and letting us know. The Vic seemed very full to me.

I can't get "Pecan Pie" out of my head.

Thanks to Aimee, who was talking to Sue in line when I called, I was able to get my song request in via cell phone ("New Madrid").

Thanks Matt for getting in line so early yesterday...

Loved hearing "Love and Mercy" ...

Awesome poster too!

Best birthday in a long time.

Setlist:

01 Remember the Mountain Bed

02 Radio King

03 The Community Song ("Look around and you will see, community -- a family. We are brothers, sisters all.")

04 John Wesley Harding

05 The Ruling Class

06 New Madrid

07 The Auld Triangle (cover [popularized by the Pogues])

08 You Are My Face

09 Hummingbird

10 Camera

11 What Light

12 Airline to Heaven

13 Pot Kettle Black

14 When the Roses Bloom Again

15 Either Way

16 Love and Mercy (Brian Wilson cover)

17 The Community Song

18 Shot in the Arm

19 The Good Part

20 Impossible Germany

21 The Lonely 1

22 Cars Can't Escape

23 Pecan Pie

24 Less Than You Think

25 Hell Is Chrome

26 Gun

27 I'm the Man Who Loves You

28 Jesus, Etc.

29 Passenger Side

30 Acuff-Rose (no mic)

I think this is right, but someone might want to verify it because I was recording everything on a scrap of paper. Great show (songs and banter), especially "Acuff-Rose" at the end. Thanks so much to Sue and Jeff for putting this together.

:blink And wasn't someone getting a SBD feed for this?

--Mike

I have to leave quickly now, but want to say how much fun this show was. Music and banter all first rate. Glad the cell-phone thingy worked out to my call-ees (never am sure if it'll sound any good or not). It was really great seeing everyone; would've hit Clarkes afterwards but we were both tired.

Also, Scott really enjoyed the show. Not sure if he is 100% converted or not, but would go up again. That's really how it starts, isn't it? :wub

What an absolute blast! Jeff did a great job juggling the "hardcore" fans, the Montessori school crowd and the miscellaneous. As did his wife. :thumbup He made many funny jokes about the teachers being present in the audience stuff like "Oh, I'm so embarrassed now I'm never picking up or dropping off the kids again..." (You had to be there?) Just fun and complimentary towards his children's educators. There were a few requests which he just couldn't do -- for whatever reasons -- and he asked for a substitute. Yes, the parts about being interviewed in Europe were HYSTERICAL. Jeff did this impersonation of some german guy who is very intellectual and analytical and says his questions in a way Jeff is not sure if it's a question or a statement. And the Spanish woman/interviewer who insists Jeff's songs are "sad, very very sad," and does great "facial olympics" after each of his answers. The songs which were sung and requested by the hardcore fans who stood in line outside, phenomenonal. And, what a blessing to have your favorite artist gift you like that! Lucky lucky. The entire evening was great, nobody acted like an ass, great singing along and clapping ALL THE WAY THROUGH JESUS, ETC. (that was me, heehe)

OK: finally, adore the poster. What beautiful detail in that tree and what a great funky hippie feeling it has. Can't wait to frame it as a constant reminder of an intimate musical evening with Jeff Tweedy.

The poster is "totally awesome".

I'm still in awe about last night. Jeff and Sue went above and beyond for this event. Incredible.

The balcony was full almost to the top. With seats downstairs, I was torn. The front of the Vic's balcony is one of my favorite places to see music anywhere. I managed to recruit the legendary Lou B to sit up there. We were howling during some of the stage banter.

My Highlights:

Pot Kettle Black - It's such a great song, and it works solo acoustic. Please bring it back into the Wilco rotation!

The Good Part

Your are My Face - Last night, it hit me over the head what a great song this is.

Less Than You Think - Solo acoustic, it's still chilling. Very cool.

When the Roses Bloom Again

Perfect crowd. Rowdy between songs, but SILENT when Jeff was playing. Woo-Hoo!