I finally went out and saw this earlier tonight, and holy frig, it's quite possibly the funniest movie I've seen in the nine years since the Brothers Coen gifted us all The Big Lebowski. :worship

The British in general seem to have a knack for balancing broad slapstick-y humour with dry and subtle wit, and I don't think I've seen it done quite this well since the days of Monty Python. The way Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg take the piss out of familiar/tired American action movie cliches in their script is simply hilarious, and the Robert Rodriguez-style shoot-'em-up at the end, given the context, is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I know everybody's all, "Oh, Grindhouse is the most fun you'll have at the movies all year," but for my money, Hot Fuzz is where it's at.

Who else wants to make sweet, sweet love to this movie? :dancing

I thought it was ok, I much preferred Shaun of The Dead though, it was a bit more consistent. Though the bit were Simon Pegg flying kicks the old woman had me in stitches and I might have let out a little bit of wee...

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what they'll do next!

As much adoration as I have for Shaun of the Dead, I thought this blew it clean and clear out of the water. It had its way with basically all of the mores of action movies and it did so with such style and intuition that as a film, never mind a comedy, it's one of the most impressive movies I've seen in a dog's age. The fact that it's the flat-out funniest flick I've seen in a decade is just gravy.

"You have a mustache."

"I know."

I thought this was hysterical. It was a bit slow in the beginning, but still really funny, if in a bit more subtle way, and then the last half of the movie is just non stop laughs.

I almost fell out of my chair when he drop kicked the old lady. Dear lord, that was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

As much adoration as I have for Shaun of the Dead, I thought this blew it clean and clear out of the water. It had its way with basically all of the mores of action movies and it did so with such style and intuition that as a film, never mind a comedy, it's one of the most impressive movies I've seen in a dog's age. The fact that it's the flat-out funniest flick I've seen in a decade is just gravy.

I'm with you. I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead immensely, but Hot Fuzz is the better movie--sturdier plot and character construction, wittier jokes, a more consistently deadpan tone. It's terrific. The best joke might be that while it's taking the piss out of bloated actioners--I loved the overkill editing as the officers do paperwork--it's also completely kicking the ass of most comedies.

I almost fell out of my chair at the line "Forget it, Nicholas... it's Sandford." That line was integrated so seamlessly... and the tone of delivery was perfect. I had to lean over and explain it to my wife, though.

So much fun. :thumbup Havent seen Shaun of the Dead since it was in theaters, but id say I liked this one more. I couldn't believe the gore!

Also, I enjoyed seeing the Ogg Monster from the office!!

For anyone that likes Hot Fuzz or Shaun Of The Dead, you might want to try and pick up Spaced Series 1 & 2 on dvd (which is from the team behind both movies). I think it is a hell of a lot funnier than either of those films (which certainly weren't bad, but just lacked a little bit of character compared to the tv show). There's a fair bit of the tv show on youtube, this is one of the best clips: paintballing (Peter Serafinowicz - the baddy in this clip - was actually the voice of Darth Maul)

Mike: The flags to the north west!

Man: How do you know?

Mike: I've just seen it

Man: This is so exciting

Mike: This your first time kid?

Man: I'm 36

Mike: This your first time old man?

Man: Yeah . . . I've always fancied myself as a bit of a soldier

Tim: Yeah, I've always fancied myself

Mike: I've always fancied you

Tim: NOT HERE!

:lol

Also, I enjoyed seeing the Ogg Monster from the office!!

steve merchant is great. have you seen Extras? if you haven't, check out the ricky gervais show podcasts. steve merchant is all over those things.

steve merchant is great. have you seen Extras? if you haven't, check out the ricky gervais show podcasts. steve merchant is all over those things.

No i haven't. I have been meaning to check out Extras and Spaced.

No i haven't. I have been meaning to check out Extras and Spaced.

I wouldn't bother with Extras. It was pretty terrible really, but if you've got a multi-region dvd player, then get Spaced definately. Also, other good UK comedies of recent years include: I'm Alan Partridge, The Mighty Boosh, Father Ted, The League of Gentlemen (only the first series though), Pheonix Nights, Nathan Barley, Black Books, Marion & Geoff, Green Wing, The Royale Family, Brass Eye, The Day Today, Jam, um can't think of any more at the moment, but they are all worth seeing long before you try and see Extras - someone else from the UK back me up on this please. :monkey

I almost fell out of my chair at the line "Forget it, Nicholas... it's Sandford." That line was integrated so seamlessly... and the tone of delivery was perfect. I had to lean over and explain it to my wife, though.

This was a Chinatown reference, no?

I agree with everyone, Hot Fuzz was fantastic. Probably the best comedy I have seen since ...well ... Shaun of the Dead.

Shaun of the Dead was superb. Can't wait to see Hot Fuzz.

Extras can be a bit hit and miss but i have to say that the Ian McKellan episode, amongst a few others was great - the scene where he interviews Andy for a part in his play just may be the funniest scene for me in tv comedy, ever. ;)

I wouldn't bother with Extras. It was pretty terrible really, but if you've got a multi-region dvd player, then get Spaced definately. Also, other good UK comedies of recent years include: I'm Alan Partridge, The Mighty Boosh, Father Ted, The League of Gentlemen (only the first series though), Pheonix Nights, Nathan Barley, Black Books, Marion & Geoff, Green Wing, The Royale Family, Brass Eye, The Day Today, Jam, um can't think of any more at the moment, but they are all worth seeing long before you try and see Extras - someone else from the UK back me up on this please. :monkey

I am not from the UK either but you are pretty spot on in your assessments. Black Books was great and so was the Royal Family. Another one currently showing that shows promise is Roman's Empire. Spaced was fucking great though.

I am not from the UK either but you are pretty spot on in your assessments. Black Books was great and so was the Royal Family. Another one currently showing that shows promise is Roman's Empire. Spaced was fucking great though.

Yeah, but when the UK aren't prepared to back me up, Ireland will always have my proxy. I assume you get all the same tv anyway.

F**k! For a minute there I thought you were referring to the Brittas Empire. My mistake. :)

I've seen the trailers for Roman's Empire and it reminds me, could be wrong, of a UK sitcom version of The Royal Tennenbaums.

As for Extras, it suffered under its own self-imprtance, it was mildly funny (mainly Merchant, Jenson and Barry Evans) but it was just revolving around the same joke premise: here are abunch of well-known celebrities displaying an unexpected personality trait. The worst episode was the one at the Baftas. Terrible.

I'd shove Peep Show in the Brit comedy list too, the last series was a bit lame but this one is proving slightly more succesful. And Garth Marenghi's DarkPlace. And Man to Man with Dean Lerner - which had its moments.

Could venture further back in time too with Absolutely, Naked Video and Rab C. Nesbitt too. Anything but Little Britain basically.

Did anyone catch Frost and Pegg's Perfect Night In last night? I thought it was pretty good brought back lot's of fun memories - Kick Start, Box of Delights, Kia-Ora ad.

Edit: Not forgetting the mighty Early Doors too, starring a pre-fame James MacAvoy

F**k! For a minute there I thought you were referring to the Brittas Empire. My mistake. :)

I've seen the trailers for Roman's Empire and it reminds me, could be wrong, of a UK sitcom version of The Royal Tennenbaums.

As for Extras, it suffered under its own self-imprtance, it was mildly funny (mainly Merchant, Jenson and Barry Evans) but it was just revolving around the same joke premise: here are abunch of well-known celebrities displaying an unexpected personality trait. The worst episode was the one at the Baftas. Terrible.

I'd shove Peep Show in the Brit comedy list too, the last series was a bit lame but this one is proving slightly more succesful. And Garth Marenghi's DarkPlace. And Man to Man with Dean Lerner - which had its moments.

Could venture further back in time too with Absolutely, Naked Video and Rab C. Nesbitt too. Anything but Little Britain basically.

Did anyone catch Frost and Pegg's Perfect Night In last night? I thought it was pretty good brought back lot's of fun memories - Kick Start, Box of Delights, Kia-Ora ad.

Edit: Not forgetting the mighty Early Doors too, starring a pre-fame James MacAvoy

Forgot about Peep Show, and Garth Marenghi (although I thought Man to Man with Dean Leaner wasn't too funny) and Rab C. Nesbitt was absolutely amazing!

I did see that Perfect Night In last night. A lot of their choices were a bit obvious (talking about Doctor Who for example - although Dave Ross was kind of funny, I guess). Really it was the bits of them speaking inbetween the clips that was the most enjoyable thing about it all.