shake It Off DVD

Its an album from Jeff to his wife.

very much so.

i'm listening to Either Way and others much differently now.

it's obviously about Jeff's appreciation for his wife and her loving him through thick and thin.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that all the performances of the songs on the DVD are better than their studio versions. :shifty

what kind of baffled me was watching and thinking "ok, so this is the place they recorded these tunes, and this is how they played these tunes, how come the disc does such a poor job (at times, not all around) at putting these songs across?" that's not to say I don't love the new album--it's been on constant rotation, but so many of the instruments (especially Glenn's contributions, which just jump out at you on the dvd versions) don't seem as clear and pronounced on the studio/album version.

I'm looking forward to the audio of this dvd showing up on the torrents soon...

very much so.

i'm listening to Either Way and others much differently now.

it's obviously about Jeff's appreciation for his wife and her loving him through thick and thin.

after listening to the acoustic, instrumental part they included for "either way" I can't wait to hear this pop up on the tweedy solo show setlists...

Firstly, I, like everyone else was very impressed with the what was on the DVD, the live jam sessions, the interviews, Jeff's great story on SBS and Belleville, But here's what puzzles me. For the past few months we've read mountains of press about how collaborative and collective this whole record was, the sitting around in a circle, etc, etc. Why is it then that Jeff dominates nearly all of the interview footage? You barely see Pat in the film and all of the interviews with the other guys are very short, quick thoughts. I mean we did just get a full-length Jeff solo dvd a few months back. Curious if anyone else noticed this and was bothered by it.

Firstly, I, like everyone else was very impressed with the what was on the DVD, the live jam sessions, the interviews, Jeff's great story on SBS and Belleville, But here's what puzzles me. For the past few months we've read mountains of press about how collaborative and collective this whole record was, the sitting around in a circle, etc, etc. Why is it then that Jeff dominates nearly all of the interview footage? You barely see Pat in the film and all of the interviews with the other guys are very short, quick thoughts. I mean we did just get a full-length Jeff solo dvd a few months back. Curious if anyone else noticed this and was bothered by it.

because the interviews jeff did delt with the lyrics which he wrote, so it ties the video together. Secondly look at the writing credits, there a disincition between jeff tweedy and wilco. He could have easily creited the Tweedy/Wilco tracks to wilco (which copyright wise is probably how their labled) but instead he is singled out from the group since he is a the orginator of most of the matieral. Sure everyone had input but the songs had to start somewhere

Most of the time, Jeff was discussing the lyrics and stuff, wasn't he? Since that is his domain, it only seems appropriate that he would be discussing them and maybe I'm wrong but at some point didn't one of the other fellas say something like, "Wilco is basically a vehicle for Jeff's lyrics." I've only watched it once and I was being distracted so I may be off here.

I think this is Jeff's album, the rest of the bunch

are quietly along for the ride.

Another thing I took away from the DVD is how much everyone in the band is bringing to the current songs. Especially members like Pat, whose parts on Impossible Germany are great. I haven't had the good fortune of seeing Wilco live more than a couple of times, so it was cool to really see who was playing what.

Like Pat (I think it was Pat) said, usually you record a rough track and then one member at a time overdubs parts.

Also, I totally agree with the previous post regarding these songs being "sold" this way. I couldn't agree more. Seeing the film has prompted me to lay off the skip button a few more times.

All this talk about how great the DVD is makes me wish I had pre-ordered the deluxe edition instead of settling for just the CD at Best Buy yesterday. Any thoughts of the probabilty that the DVD might be offered on its own in the future?

he likes tequila, apparently.

and bunkbeds. I'll just assume the tequila facilitates the comfort, or lack there of, when sleeping in a bunkbed. I wonder if it bugs Jeff that the other band members drink and he doesn't....hmm might spark a frenzy (of comments).

It is A-MA-ZING stuff, it reminds me of why I fell for them in the first place. I watched the DVD again today with a friend...Please Be Patient With Me made her cry. I felt bad but I was also happy, it hit her like it's suppose to...deep down. She's going thru a tough spot with her newlywed hubby and it TOTALLY applied. I love when friends of mine not only take the time to listen, but actually "feel" Wilco's music/Jeff's words...

i viewed it as a simple appreciation of age and the life he's lived so far.

in the midst of a nostalgic memory of youth.

that's wrong of course. haha.

I think you hit it right, he didn't die after all that he's been through...as "simple" as that...like he said no having to read into any of his lyrics this time around...

I think you hit it right, he didn't die after all that he's been through...as "simple" as that...like he said no having to read into any of his lyrics this time around...

exactly.

i like your posts btw.

they remind me of how i post. really passionate.

Many apologies for my three posts in a row, my fingers are moving faster than my brain...

I agree Nels on 'Impossible Germany' is incredible!!! That's STILL all I can hear in my head.

And Glenn hitting the cymbal by accident...real life, man :lol

exactly.

i like your posts btw.

they remind me of how i post. really passionate.

Thank you SO MUCH, seriously...that really means a lot. I was honestly afraid I was coming off as obsessive/annoying but I've needed this outlet for so long now.

Wilco means the world to me...

yeah, Nels blows me away during the solo of Impossible Germany.

i didn't see it coming. i knew he was going to improvise, but not like that.

and listening to him name all the influences he sees sprouting out in his playing.

good stuff. gonna watch it again tonight.

so my copy is already scratched... it came in its packaged scratched and i hate it here won't play through without it skipping a billion times...

i guess i wasted $11 dollars buying the dvd as opposed to just the cd :(

Contact MusicToday. Get that shit replaced.

(Assuming you ordered it from MusicToday ... otherwise, return it to the point of purchase. Seriously.)