Songs you perfer live over the studio version

Ashes of American Flags: i have perferred every live version of this song over the studio version on YHF. I was very disappointed with what showed up on the record. The version of the engineer demos is superior in my mind as well.

Muzzle of Bees and Handshake Drugs: one word... Nels

Sunken Treasure: The solo versions of this song have always blown me away.

Spiders: I cannot listen to the studio version... but in person i would hate to be at a show when it did not show up... especially following Poor Places.

Monday and Outtasite: I really wish these songs would show back up... they have been given a proper rest in my opinion.

From the new record Walken and Impossible Germany

Misunderstood

I really like the new Kamera more than any version I've heard

Ashes Of American Flags - easily my favourite Wilco song but Nels' solo just makes it that much better.

Theologians - It sounds MASSIVE live.

Misunderstood - Pretty much every version of this song is great the the KT version I think holds precedence.

OMG!!! I'd say just about everyone!!! :D

But the stand outs are...

Reservations

Heavy Metal Drummer

Via Chicago

I Got You (At the End of the Century)...

...really ANYTHING on Being There :rock

I don't think one is better than the other...

Theologians is the most delicious piece of candy since "Drive My Car" on the studio version, and rocks live.

Walken and ITMTLY are also rocking live, but have a genuine earnestness on the studio version.

Handshake Drugs is fucking amazing live, but the studio version also has a mysterious, hypnotic groove to it.

Kidsmoke has more firepower live, while the studio version has more dynamics.

And so on and so on. Everything in its right place.

Ashes Of American Flags - easily my favourite Wilco song but Nels' solo just makes it that much better.

yup. i don't really like the studio version at all. esp. after hearing the live version.

Depends on the incarnation. I think this version of Wilco does a lot of AGIB songs better live then the old version of Wilco did on the record. Spiders and The Late Greats are prime examples.

I think the best version of 'ashes' i've ever heard is the one from the auditorium theatre this past november, the second show on the 25th.... they just tear it up at the end with this extended coda, and nels melts many faces

A Shot In The Arm I think is one of the most dynamic songs they play live. Everyone is playing a prominent role in the song and it just ends up sounding HUGE, especially at the "SOMETHIN IN MA VAINS, BLOODIER THAN BLOOD!" part.

The Late Greats for sure.

the chords which are held on the recording are chopped short after the first chorus and the ending live.

totally makes an okay song amazing for me.

Pot kettle black

I still like the studio version of this one over the live...

But in response to the query:

Hell is Chrome and Company on my Back from AGIB

Ashes and War on War from YHF

Shot in the Arm and Summerteeth from Summerteeth

Sunken Treasure from BT

No live version of Via Chicago could ever top the Austin TX demo :nono

Mostly "Side with the Seeds" really. I resent that song on the album, but I can at least listen to it live.

I agree with Ashes, Walken, Impossible Germany, Misunderstood, Kingpin too.