Where to start with The Grateful Dead?

I had to skip last night's Mickey Hart/Global Drum project last night but early reports are that there were some "boos' in the crowd for some very boo-worthy moments and that Hart was really difficult to listen to.

I was considering getting tickets for this. What was so "boo-worthy"?

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was considering getting tickets for this. What was so "boo-worthy"?

Apparently he was just real abrasive in style compared to the other drum masters with him. Clanking off beat on a cowbell, making really grating noises that apparently countered the rest of the music, etc.

I've seen Mickey with his various side projects a bunch of times and know that he likes to experiment with odd sounds and time signatures, but the review I read implied it was much more than that. For an encore he stood on the stage and played his chest with one fist chanting while the "NFA" chorus. I wasn't there but apparently he was pretty far off for the night.

ed. It wasn't last night either, it was Monday night....

Phil tonight and tomorrow with Donna in town w/ the Zen Tricksters.

Please post a review at your convenience. Have a good time! :dancing

Decent show but paled in comparison to some of the other line-ups Phil has featured. Fun night but somewhat tepid, especially the first set evn with Mr.Mustard, etc.

FOTD

Let It Ride

This Wheel's On Fire

New Speedway Boogie

Im So Gone

Mr Mustard

Cosmic Charlie

Scarlet >

Fire >

Birdsong

?

Golden Road >

Viola Lee>

Lovelight Jam >

Loose Lucy >

Viola Lee>

Golden Road Reprise >

Alabama Getaway >

Viola lee

E: Box Of Rain

Looks like a pretty good setlist. In addition to a Ryan Adams tune, they played a Beatles song AND a Band song. It's so like Phil not to play favorites...

Lammy it looks like you missed the "real" show

Set 1

Bertha

Big River

Midnight Rider

Candyman

Cold Black Devil

Deal

Set Two (With Phil On A Stand Up Bass)

Friend Of The Devil

Sweet Somewhere Bound

Deep Elem Blues

Brokewodn Palace

Tell Me Mamma

Ripple

Set 3

Hard Rain

Cryptical>

The OTher One>

Dark Star (V1)>

Moutians Of The Moon>

Dark Star (V2)>

China Cat Sunflower>

I KNow You Rider

Encore

Not Fade Away

HOT!

If you want a copy of the Philmore Lammy shoot me a PM.

Yeah just talked to some buddies who went up to RR last night. One pal who's a huge Phil fan said it was the best Phil show he's seen (25+ shows) and he's a big Herring, Scofield, and Warren fan, too. I was set to head up but did not get out of a teacher workshop until 6 p.m. so I had to sit that one out. Apparently Larry Campbell was switching around to fiddles/dobros, etc. for a lot of the acoustic set and Jackie was doing the harmonica/acoustic guitar deal.

The Friday show was decent enough and the playing was solid, I just found myself pining for a little more energy I guess. They certainly were having fun up on stage. I don't know, maybe I was just in a pissy mood, too.

ed. Thanks for the Fillmore offer, jc. It'll probably be up on archives soon so I'll save you the hassle. Unless you've got sbds....

Thanks.

Yeah just talked to some buddies who went up to RR last night. One pal who's a huge Phil fan said it was the best Phil show he's seen (25+ shows) and he's a big Herring, Scofield, and Warren fan, too. I was set to head up but did not get out of a teacher workshop until 6 p.m. so I had to sit that one out. Apparently Larry Campbell was switching around to fiddles/dobros, etc. for a lot of the acoustic set and Jackie was doing the harmonica/acoustic guitar deal.

The Friday show was decent enough and the playing was solid, I just found myself pining for a little more energy I guess. They certainly were having fun up on stage. I don't know, maybe I was just in a pissy mood, too.

ed. Thanks for the Fillmore offer, jc. It'll probably be up on archives soon so I'll save you the hassle. Unless you've got sbds....

Thanks.

no sbs. sorry...

do you know if they were doing the instant live this time around?

I'm listening to the set now. They are wrapping up This Wheels On Fire. Compelty different band then the one in CA. got.

From the second Waterbury, CT show, on 9/24/72, we have the heart of the second set, which features Dark Star>China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider. Unfortunately, the Rider gets chopped at the very end due to a cut in the master reel. But fortunately, the Dark Star contains just about everything you want from a 1972 Dark Star: introspection, deep space, melodic turns and chaos.

Our first track this week is from Springfield, MA, on 10/2/72, and features a slightly different main jam for the era, which is to say no Dark Star or Other One. Instead, the band embark on a purposeful, efficient jam of Truckin

I wanted to post the link to this for anyone not that into Phil & Friends or curious about their current line-up/sound who may not otherwise be inclined to check it out.

This is the second set opener from Red Rocks a few weeks ago and, imo, is a great example of how Phil likes to keep things fresh, new, experimental, and enjoyable.

This "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" is truly unique and simply rocks out. Give it a shot:

http://ia341232.us.archive.org/1/items/paf...2.d2t08_vbr.mp3

This is the second set opener from Red Rocks a few weeks ago and, imo, is a great example of how Phil likes to keep things fresh, new, experimental, and enjoyable.

Nice. I wish Phil was playing somewhere closer to me on this tour. Oh well.