Where to start with The Grateful Dead?

Definitely loses appeal. I really enjoyed having the choice tunes hand-picked by Lemieux, downloaded, and put to the iPod for in the car, etc. Who wants to sit at a computer and dig on tunes (for any extended period of time?). I don't see why posting individual or 3-4 songs connected is any different from posting individual songs on any other blog. Can't even download an individual tune (sbd) from a show anymore?

It's gotten to this point, which is lame. I'm not buying the DPs/Vault stuff.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely loses appeal. I really enjoyed having the choice tunes hand-picked by Lemieux, downloaded, and put to the iPod for in the car, etc. Who wants to sit at a computer and dig on tunes (for any extended period of time?). I don't see why posting individual or 3-4 songs connected is any different from posting individual songs on any other blog. Can't even download an individual tune (sbd) from a show anymore?

It's gotten to this point, which is lame. I'm not buying the DPs/Vault stuff.

Well, there's always the old-school alternative (which I much prefer). We have a number of us here that have collections-we should just put up want lists on the Reflecting forum & trade with each other. Much more fun imo...I've made many good friends this way. :thumbup

Well, there's always the old-school alternative (which I much prefer). We have a number of us here that have collections-we should just put up want lists on the Reflecting forum & trade with each other. Much more fun imo...I've made many good friends this way. :thumbup

Me too! :cheers

Just for you anal-retentive geeks like myself: today was the 35th anniversary of the legendary "Field Trip" in Oregon. I'll think I'll watch some of teh DVD before bedtime. Mucho Garcias to you who turned me on to the vid. You know who you are. :thumbup

Has any one else checked out Lemieux's statement about yanking of the mp3 format? I don't know....pretty weak.

Yeah, I like the "Gosh, we didn't realize people would download the mp3s!!1!" attitude. :unsure

I undertook the Taper's Section last November with a pretty simple vision: to have fun providing folks a regular opportunity to hear vault material that kept their interest in Grateful Dead music fresh.

Recently, I and others that work on dead.net became aware that certain fans had been regularly downloading the tracks offered in the Taper Section. From the very beginning, this program has always been intended to be a "for streaming only" service. Downloading was never announced, described or promoted in any manner. The situation that developed over the past months is very different than my original plan.

Where we

for your downloading woes,

4/8/78 FLorida somewhere, Mastered Sdbd, sounds pretty amazing, lots of Phil, and great show to boot

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uwqchj

Wierd...I just pulled that out for a listen the other day. Pembroke Pines, I believe. Nice show, but possibly the most fouled-up transition back into the Playin' Reprise I've ever heard. Check it out & see if you don't agree.

A-man, I'd be willing to bet you were in the minority. I realize it's their music and they can do what they want with it, but it seems that Lemeiux is trying to save face on a very overt effort by Rhino/whomever to bitchslap the fan yet again. Just another chink added to the fence that's slowing been built between the fan and the tunes since 1995.

This Playing In the Band swings.

'73 Playins are just about my favorite pieces of music, ever. Especially from the Fall Tour.

People can love or hate on them as much as they'd like but the dead are a HUGE part of music history and some of the best musicians and songwriters of our era. Here are 6 Dead albums that you shouldn't live without.

American Beauty

Workingman's Dead

Terrapin Station

From the Mars Hotel

Go To Heaven

Shakedown St

Some newer and older wilco material has been heavily compared to the dead. When I met Tweedy this summer after the amazing Murat Theater show in Indy my buddy asked him if he was a fan of Jerry Garcia. Tweedy's response was this:

"You are not the first person to ask me that lately. A lot of people seem to think there are similarities. I am not a really a fan but I am also not a hater. Maybe I should check them out again."

I think if he does he will see lyrical and melodic comparisons to himself and Jerry. Tweedy is one of the greatest living songwriters and a genuinely humble rock star. What a great person.

I am a long-time lover - and not a hater - but even as a fan I can do without these two.
Yea, really....the first three or so albums are much more important. The first two live albums are both important as well.

LouieB

I understand why someone wouldn't dig on Go To Heaven and or Shakedown St but both have a few undeniably classic cuts. Just peep these stand out tracks as I retract my statement as to them being stand out album's:

Go To Heaven:

Alabama Getaway

Althea

Feel Like a Stranger

Shakedown St:

Good Lovin

Shakedown St

Fire On The Mountain

New Minglewood Blues

Alabama Getaway

Althea

Shakedown St

Fire On The Mountain

New Minglewood Blues

I've always been fond of these songs...

On a side note, I just recently received a copy of Live Dead on vinyl. Im so happy.

Best darkstar eva!

Shakedown St:

Fire On The Mountain

Fire on the Mountain is one of my favorite Dead songs but the version on Shakedown Street is really tepid.

Same with the title track ...

And I agree with the comment about Live Dead's Dark Star; it's a great one. Funny you mention it - I just picked it up on CD after having it on vinyl for years.

Yeah i'm gonna enter this conversation and say Go To Heaven and Shakedown are not must owns. At this point the dead were no good in the studio times changed in the way of recording records and instead of doing what they do and putting it to tape they tried to go with the times.

As for must own studio dead albums everything up until Blues For Allah. But really Anthem To The Sun, AMOXOXOXOMA (OR WHAT EVER THE FUCK IT IS) Workingmans Dead,American Beauty and Blues To Allah are great "ALBUMS". I'd leave the rest of my listening to live shows.

Anyone catching the Phil tour this fall?

I don't have no truck with anything after American Beauty. Although, I do like some songs on Wake of The Flood, Blues For Allah, Mars Hotel, and even In the Dark - I just don't like the sound of them.

The Grateful Dead Rock Band

The Grateful Dead

yeah that darkstar soothes my soul so much

It's just about perfect, isn't it? So seamless...it's hard to believe that the band wasn't reading charts.