Where to start with The Grateful Dead?

It seems weird that it has been 12 years.....I was in Lynchburg, TN with my relatives from Scotland visiting the Jack Daniels distillary that day. We were driving back towards Nashville and they were playing all sorts of Dead tunes on the radio (a rarity in these parts). I sorta figured something happened but it hit me like a ton of bricks hearing that Jerry had died.

Fucking bummer......I wonder what kind of music he would be into if he were still alive now

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems weird that it has been 12 years.....I was in Lynchburg, TN with my relatives from Scotland visiting the Jack Daniels distillary that day. We were driving back towards Nashville and they were playing all sorts of Dead tunes on the radio (a rarity in these parts). I sorta figured something happened but it hit me like a ton of bricks hearing that Jerry had died.

Fucking bummer......I wonder what kind of music he would be into if he were still alive now

Yep, I knew he was gone, when I turned on the radio and they where playing Terrpain Station in it's

entirety. Anyway, without even being aware of todays anniversary, I listened to a show i just downloaded from 83, it's was pretty decent. I'll twist one up and throw Europe 72 on the hifi tonight that's fo sho.

I told my boss I had to go on home. She said that was silly. I said That may very well be.

NP:12-22-69

I told my boss I had to go on home. She said that was silly. I said That may very well be.

I did the same thing. A buddy called me at work (I was a cook in a restaurant) and I told the manager I had to leave immediately due to a death in the family. We all met up at a friend's house in the mountains west of Boulder and drank some beers commiserating and then drove down to Boulder for the Merl show.

Looks like it's from the Warfield/Radio City run.

And I realize folks are capable of going to youtube themselves, but...

Here's a snippet of Garcia warming up pre-show. Kind of goofy but it's the kind of stuff I like:

Also, a decent tribute someone put together a couple of years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmWrpi4wngE

And a smokin' "Fire" featuring Garcia and Carlos w/ Baba Olatunji's Drums of Passion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veMIlpyYoqc

Here's a snippet of Garcia warming up pre-show. Kind of goofy but it's the kind of stuff I like:

Bee-yootiful. :cheers

You guys are all right, you know that?

So are you man. :thumbup I'm gonna go off-topic here for a sec to just tell you Mike that I was listening to the Alice Cooper radio show at work last night & he played Inca Roads! On the effin' radio! I tell you I almost had a freakout. :dancing

I saw that a while ago. I couldn't find a reason to get worked up about Starbucks selling a greatest-hits comp.

I did, however, hear "Sugar Magnolia" over the PA system at Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago and it kind of freaked me out. :unsure

I wonder if it's actually "The Grateful Dead" making the business decision on this or if it's Rhino. Not that it matters terribly as it seems this is quickly becoming the norm.

I don't know about this situation specifically, but after the bullshit with archive.org I wouldn't be surprised if it was them.

Soooo.....

What's up with the Taper's Section going stream-only? Hmmmmm.

Yeah that sucks.......Seems like another crappy decision made. They are really giving the shaft to their hard core fans. I understand they as "The GratefulDead" are no longer and they want to protect their interests, but seriously not letting people rip copies off the tapers section?

It really has all gone downhill since Jerry died. I doubt he would have put up with this kind of commercial decision. Of course since he died the Dead as a cash cow touring unit has dwindled away. Guess Bobby, Phil, Mickey, and Billy need to stash away as much as possible. Not knocking anyone for making a living but what happened to the old ethos of "Hey, once we're done with a show they can have it"?

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Except when there is. And then it sucks more when it gets taken away.

I can't decide if I'm surprised by this move or not. After the archive.org ordeal, I looked at the Tapers Section as an act of goodwill towards the fans, as if they were saying "Okay, I know we shut down downloads on that other site, but here we can at least control what is being put out there". There was some cool stuff, and I liked being able to download b/c I can't stream at work. Its partly responsible for helping me re-discover the Dead in the last couple years and it has recently been the first place I'd send newbies to check out. Seemed like a win-win situation to me.

To make it stream-only doesn't make any sense to me. There's already streaming of thousands of concerts on archive.org (for now, at least) and there's a new Grateful Dead Radio channel coming on Sirius. With all that out there, a download-less Taper Section loses some of its appeal. Oh well.