Where to start with The Grateful Dead?

If anyone would like any free Grateful Dead music, just let me know, as I would be happy to send. (of course, you'd have to trust a dude from a Wilco forum with your address.) I've got an incredible amount of music from all eras. Love to spread. (Phish, Widesprea Panic, String Cheese Incident, and others too.)

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Tom Constanten @ Kinetic Playground after the 1st night of Widespread Panic in July. Small place, but pretty cool. T.C. is one strange, yet talented dude.Those shows are going to fuckin' ROCK dude! With Steve from Particle on the keys...wOw, man! You listen to Particle at all?I'm not going to Red Rocks though...someone else.

\

I'm very weary of T.C. did he not leave the band because of "the drugs" conflicted with his sceintologist views??? On top of that he only plays on 2 albums (correct me if im wrong). I loved his work on those records but from what I hear he plays straightforward keyboard work which wasn't what his dead days involved plus he plays a ton of material he had nothing to do with. I'm fairly certin he and phil don't even talk anymore.

And I was referring to the chicago shows I'll be there everynight.

\

I'm very weary of T.C. did he not leave the band because of "the drugs" conflicted with his sceintologist views??? On top of that he only plays on 2 albums (correct me if im wrong). I loved his work on those records but from what I hear he plays straightforward keyboard work which wasn't what his dead days involved plus he plays a ton of material he had nothing to do with. I'm fairly certin he and phil don't even talk anymore.

And I was referring to the chicago shows I'll be there everynight.

Yeah, T.C. gave me some slightly uncomfortable vibes when I met him. He was drinking beer though. Perhaps he caught onto the vibe I gave off that possibly had to do with what I was dabbling in that night. Anywho, there are so many awesome shows in Chicago that weekend. YMSB w/ Jon Fishman, White Stripes, U-Melt, EOTO, Run Side Down. Nothin' beats Phil & Friends though. 25 Days!!!

I met TC in a very small (100 people and packed) club about 8-9 years ago and he gave off weird vibes to me, too. He was taking a break from playing (I think he was sitiing in with Stir Fried at the time, but I'm not sure) and he couldn't have been more put-off by the fans, it seemed.

Yeah, T.C. gave me some slightly uncomfortable vibes when I met him. He was drinking beer though. Perhaps he caught onto the vibe I gave off that possibly had to do with what I was dabbling in that night. Anywho, there are so many awesome shows in Chicago that weekend. YMSB w/ Jon Fishman, White Stripes, U-Melt, EOTO, Run Side Down. Nothin' beats Phil & Friends though. 25 Days!!!

Yeah phil is def. where its at. Nina Nastisa will also be schubas on friday. it is going to be a lot of music I may need to sell my phil friday for money to see neil young so if you know anyone who hasn't purchased a ticket yet; ill sell for face (plus 5 dollars for tix bastard charges)

I'm just not to sure about this jackie greene character. He seems decent enough but I don't know if he is the "right" kind of guitar player. Time shall tell!

As for acoustic at red rocks.

I ENVY YOUR ASS!

Here's some acoustic Jackie Greene/PL to whet your appetites:

First up in our mid-September journey is Paris in 1974, where the Grateful Dead closed out their short tour of the continent. From 9/20/74, we have this very good Weather Report Suite>Stella Blue, and from the next night, 9/21/74, we have the second set jam featuring Seastones>Playing In The Band. It was rather rare for the band to join Phil and Ned during Seastones, but this jam works very well, and hits some remarkably deep spaces. One quick digression: while going through the Grateful Dead Movie

Ya know, I haven't been back to the GD site since the TS axed downloads since I can't stream at work--and I'm finding that without my weekly dose of new stuff to listen to, well, I haven't listened to very much GD at all in the last few weeks. Not a rant, just an observation. Good business move, guys. :thumbup

Only two of those would actually play - when I clicked on the rest of them, I was thrown back to the front page.

:ohwell I hope you got to hear the 9/20/74. I played the hell out of that cassette.

Made with only the finest columbian beans. D'oh! :punch

On today's playlist: Fillmore East 9/19/70. I will unabashedly claim this to be my favorite Dark Star of 1970 (yes, I like it more than 2/13).

I'll be catching Phil & Friends at the Fillmore this Friday (and hopefully up at Red Rocks the following night barring parental duties) and have noted that Donna Jean is in town Friday and Saturday with the Zen Tricksters. They're playing literally a 2-3 min. drive from the Fillmore and was thinking it could be interesting if she were invited to do a few tunes with Phil & Co. As far as I know, she's still on good terms with him.

On a side note: I bought a bike from a guy downtown about an hour ago and his old, ornately-carved wooden front door had a huge stained-glass window on the entire top half of the wolf from Garcia's 70s Wolf guitar. It was beautifully done. He said he had it custom made for about $1500 a few years ago. Pretty cool.

The Grateful Dead

In Music, Culture

& Memory

A Public Symposium

November 16-18, 2007

UMass Amherst

http://www.umassconnections.com/unbrokenchain/

Events line-up:

http://www.umassconnections.com/unbrokenchain/program.html

Oh My Sweet Jesus! I hope someone in the area makes that. Good to see many familiar names there. Barry Barnes in particular is a very nice guy. When a NRPS trading group started up online he sent me some of the best stuff!

Damn, I'd love to make that.

I had to skip Monday night's Mickey Hart/Global Drum project last night but early reports are that there were some "boos' in the crowd for some very boo-worthy moments and that Hart was really difficult to listen to. Hmmn.

Phil tonight and tomorrow with Donna in town w/ the Zen Tricksters.