Where to start with The Grateful Dead?

According to the philzone site, "Jackie Greene backed by P&F" tonight on Conan. Though Conan doesn't list them for tonight's lineup on his site (Sondre Lerche or something is booked). Hmmm....

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall watching that when it was on. Oh - and thanks for that deal - I have listening to that show you sent me about every day.

i sent you a show?

and yes phil wont be on conan tonight

any recommendations on an acoustic set from 70?

I already have the one where dave nelson sits in for cold jordan and swing low (dont rember the date)

I already have the one where dave nelson sits in for cold jordan and swing low (dont rember the date)

9/20 is a fave. 5/15 is good - has Pig doing "She's Mine"( the only version I own). If you don't mind AUD 8/19 is good too - I think that might have the very first "Truckin'".

It's really a shame that large chunks of '70 just are not out there.

Binghamton, NY

(I think it's 1970... the one that's on the Dick's Picks?)

yeah i was tring to get that and then realized it was dicks picks 4.

Anyone wanna help a brother out?

:I NEED A MIRACLE:

That whole show can be found at The Trader's Den. I am getting it - it's big though - 11 GB.

which show...?

Well I went ahead and ordered the Road Trips vol 1 today....kinda like complete shows but this seems interesting. Anyone have it yet? If so how is it. 79 is an interesting year, and these fall shows have gotten pretty good reviews so even though it isn't primal dead (67-69) or the great 72-74 years it should be good.

Well I went ahead and ordered the Road Trips vol 1 today....kinda like complete shows but this seems interesting. Anyone have it yet? If so how is it. 79 is an interesting year, and these fall shows have gotten pretty good reviews so even though it isn't primal dead (67-69) or the great 72-74 years it should be good.

Other than the DP I have from 79 - I have hardly listened to anything outside of 65-74.

I'm looking forward to this myself. I really like Fall '79. There are some incredible ScarFires from that tour. Brentski seemed to really come out front on those tunes.

I'm looking forward to this myself. I really like Fall '79. There are some incredible ScarFires from that tour. Brentski seemed to really come out front on those tunes.

Those Cape Cod (S. Yarmouth) shows are some of my favorite Brent stuff.

Those Cape Cod (S. Yarmouth) shows are some of my favorite Brent stuff.

Yeah! I was kinda disappointed that the 10/27 Dancin' > Franklin's isn't on this. But maybe everyone already has that one.

Yeah! I was kinda disappointed that the 10/27 Dancin' > Franklin's isn't on this. But maybe everyone already has that one.

Isn't on what, the new Road Trip stuff? I've always had really good quality analog of these shows, too.

Yeah...I'm with AMan with the whole 65-74 thing. I tend to listen to that period about 90% of the time, but there are a few exceptions Spring 77 oif course and there are a few decent late 80's shows out there. These fall 79 shows are a pretty good era though. Like you said Brent shines through, at that point he had been with them what, about 6 months or so?.

Anyways according to the dead.net site supposedly there will be a bunch of stuff coming out so...... I can't help it I always scoff up pretty much every vault, DP, etc release....I need to get into the torrent thing I guess but it seems like it's a big hassle, but what do I know?

A Man I know there is a lot of stuff you and others have posted regarding torrent info and such, but what would be the easiest to set up and get running? Is there a really easy site that would give a non-tech type person a quick easy way to get started with this stuff? Every site I've checked out seems to have all sorts of conflicting info and I seem to get bogged down and just say screw it.

Yeah...I'm with AMan with the whole 65-74 thing. I tend to listen to that period about 90% of the time, but there are a few exceptions Spring 77 oif course and there are a few decent late 80's shows out there. These fall 79 shows are a pretty good era though. Like you said Brent shines through, at that point he had been with them what, about 6 months or so?.

Honestly, I enjoy all the eras. I find nuggets in '95 as well as '67. There's so much latitute with the music. I don't know why anyone would want to pigeonhole themselves (not that you are) with the band. I listened to a great "Visions" on the way to work today from Salt Lake City '95 followed by an acoustic Big Railroad Blues from '69 or '70. Both excellent in their own realm.

Brent was in about 6 mo. at the point of the fall '79 toyur, yes. I was listening to his first show a few nights ago (I think it was 4-22-79 or thereabouts) and he really comes out of the gate strong.

I found it hard when I first began to do BT - but once you get it going, it is second nature. If you dig around in the BT links section - you will find screen shots of how to do things. That is the way I learned. I am actually surprised that they have not put the brakes on soundboard shows being put up at various torrent sites - since they are aparently going to release more and more of the soundboard shows as time goes by. Of course - they did stop the downloading of them at archives.org. You can, of course, grab shows from archive.org without the doing the BT deal. AUD shows only - that is.

For me - it is about sound - and I don't care for that MIDI shit that Jerry got into.

Honestly, I enjoy all the eras. I find nuggets in '95 as well as '67. There's so much latitute with the music. I don't know why anyone would want to pigeonhole themselves (not that you are) with the band. I listened to a great "Visions" on the way to work today from Salt Lake City '95 followed by an acoustic Big Railroad Blues from '69 or '70. Both excellent in their own realm.

Brent was in about 6 mo. at the point of the fall '79 toyur, yes. I was listening to his first show a few nights ago (I think it was 4-22-79 or thereabouts) and he really comes out of the gate strong.

True enough...you gotta love those "visions" they cranked out back in 95. Certainly there is a lot of good stuff in later years....I just don't find stuff after 76 or so as deep and spacey for the most part. That's the stuff I love, 20 minute darkstars, loooooong playin in the bands, That being said I still dig all the other years, but if I have to choose I take the early years.

Aman I agree somewhat. Not a big Jerry on MIDI fan, but there are some cool jams when he lets loose on that. Thanks for the BT info!