Where to start with The Grateful Dead?

""In true Deadhead spirit, the film preserves an event that seem awfully remote in today's world of cable TV, Internet ticketing, and heavily policed gatherings. Early in the movie, an eager crew can be seen building a simple wooden stage. No cops, no security force trolling the grounds. No bags being searched,

no one ejected for cigarette smoking. What one witnesses as the movie gets underway is 30,000 folks raving about in a big, sunny meadow while the local band plays on a hastily erected platform. Two flinty piles of amplifiers broadcast loud rock 'n roll out to the countryside. Amidst such casual planning, it seems forgivable that the festival's organizers forgot to incorporate stage lights. Providentially, this lack of concert lighting works to stunning effect later in the film. As the sun sets, and a cool breeze settles on the day's revelry, Garcia can be faintly seen crooning the plaintive "Sing Me Back Home," a mere silhouette of dark hair and beard against the gathering dusk.

Such a pastoral scene, of dogs and babies and children eating ice cream, hearkens back to a bygone era. 'Sunshine Daydream' never lectures, though, never complains that such days have passed""

I have a friend who says that every thing was better in the 70s. This film is a strong piece of evidence that would back up his case......

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You ever read the review of this show in the Tapers Compendium? The author attempts to link the songs into some sort of life/death/rebirth cycle. Its insane but a fun read nonetheless.

I don't know about that theory for that show but I know Phil did a three show run at the warfeild a few years back where the first show was life followed by death followed by rebirth.

A-man thanks for think. I think i'll be able to burn that version, I believe the problem in the past had something to do with burning a dvd of that size; since its on two discs I think i can do it.

Does anyone know of a "free" program that will allow me to burn dvds so they can play on my television? Sadly all of my concert dvds are formatted for computer (I have to manually open the video Ts folder).

As for the naked guy on the poll, classic!

A-man thanks for think. I think i'll be able to burn that version, I believe the problem in the past had something to do with burning a dvd of that size; since its on two discs I think i can do it.

Every time I've ever tried to sign up for Dime it tells me there are no more memberships available. :frusty I've heard of this video, but never seen it. Sounds like a really amazing thing to see--definitely a "time capsule" kind of piece. I'll have to look around and see if I can find it anywhere else.

I think it was also up at Tape City or The Trader's Den.

its def on the traders den thats were I originally came across it.

Just a reminder - today is the anniversary of 12/19/73 Tampa. The show that started the Dick's Picks series. When I originally got this in the mail I put the thing on and the first song (Here Comes Sunshine) just made me so thankful that finally the Archives were gonna be releasing stuff. The HCS is still one of the very best I've heard and is a good enough reason to justify the purchase.

Just a reminder - today is the anniversary of 12/19/73 Tampa. The show that started the Dick's Picks series. When I originally got this in the mail I put the thing on and the first song (Here Comes Sunshine) just made me so thankful that finally the Archives were gonna be releasing stuff. The HCS is still one of the very best I've heard and is a good enough reason to justify the purchase.

ahhh the good old days when you would get 3-4 releases a year......coupla dick's, maybe a vault release......That show (12-19-73) is a damn fine show.....Like you said that HCS is an all time great version, I love the way it seems to just unwind into the jam after the verses and seems to just keep going. I also dig the jams that sandwich The Other One. The show just has that jazzy 73/74 sound to it that I really like.

Was just listening to the 10-17-78 Winterland show.....about a minute or so into Space you can hear (barely) this lady up on stage talking to Garcia. It goes like this:

Lady- I know this sounds strange but I'd like to take banjo lessons

Jerry- I don't teach anymore

Lady- What?

Lady- Yeah, but I'd really like to take banjo lessons

Lady- Oh. I'm sorry

Weir says something, but you can't really hear it. Too damn funny. It's not as good as all the stage banter going on during the 10-30-71 show but pretty funny just the same

Live at the Cow Palace: New Years Eve 1976

is this worth getting?

Well of course I'd say yes. :stunned The first set ends with a looong '74- style Playin', there's a nice dreamy Eyes in the second set as well as a stand alone Scarlet Begonias. The real clincher for me is the Help > Slip > Drums > NFA > Morning Dew sequence late in the show. I think it might be the first Dew since Oct. '74 - a powerhouse version.

Well of course I'd say yes. :stunned The first set ends with a looong '74- style Playin', there's a nice dreamy Eyes in the second set as well as a stand alone Scarlet Begonias. The real clincher for me is the Help > Slip > Drums > NFA > Morning Dew sequence late in the show. I think it might be the first Dew since Oct. '74 - a powerhouse version.

agreed.......thats a really nice help>slip. Also at the end during We Bid You Goodnight theres some interesting very light instrumentation going on in the background. It's a 76 show but there is a slight flashback kind of quality to 72-74 throughout.

This just in from the David Nelson Band: Jan. 26 - Feb. 2 the DNB (DN, Barry Sless, Pete Sears and Mookie Siegel) is playing in Hawaii for the week with special guest drummer Billy the Rockin' K Kreutzmann!

Now, who's got 2K to blow on a trip with me? :stunned

This just in from the David Nelson Band: Jan. 26 - Feb. 2 the DNB (DN, Barry Sless, Pete Sears and Mookie Siegel) is playing in Hawaii for the week with special guest drummer Billy the Rockin' K Kreutzmann!

Now, who's got 2K to blow on a trip with me? :stunned

Another Billy gig off the mainland, come back bill come back.

As we get closer to the Deadhead's favorite holiday the question presents itself: what is your favorite GD NYE show?

I have the following (on CD and/or cassette): '72, '76, '78, '81, '82, '84, '85, '87, '88, '89, '90 and '91. It's a real toughie but I'll give the nod to either '78 (closng of Winterland, first Star since '74) or '90 (w/ Branford and Bruce).

Jerry Xmas & Happy New Weir to all! :cheers

As we get closer to the Deadhead's favorite holiday the question presents itself: what is your favorite GD NYE show?

I have the following (on CD and/or cassette): '72, '76, '78, '81, '82, '84, '85, '87, '88, '89, '90 and '91. It's a real toughie but I'll give the nod to either '78 (closng of Winterland, first Star since '74) or '90 (w/ Branford and Bruce).

Casting the vote for 78. I never get tired of watching that. You knew they were gonna tear it up being the last gig at Winterland.

And I second the happy new year (weir) to everyone as well. :)

Another vote for 1978. I love that Dark Star > Wharf Rat > Dark Star

I have that video where Jerry is making snacks.

Ticket To New Year's Eve

In the kitchen with Jerry! :thumbup One of my favorite bits ever - when JG holds up that big bag of "powdered sugar" and looks at the camera and just lets out this big sigh...priceless.

the albums are so different and never were the focus of the band...still though try live dead, american beauty, blues for allah, mars hotel, dead set, europe 72, ...or just start downloading shows...start with years 69-73, 77, 87...maybe go to the dead forums to get some real "opinions" on this!