Where to start with The Grateful Dead?

I never was able to get DH here either, but my friends up around Chicago taped many many shows. I have hundreds of hours from the DH on K-sette.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They still play DHH on lightning 100 here in nashvegas....Tuesday nights, been on here for a long time. Some kids used to have a show on the Vanderbilt Univ. radio station called "The Kind Veggie Burrito Show", but dunno if it's still on. They used to play some interesting stuff....most Dead, but some other jamband type stuff as well.

Thats all you ever hear the Dead on down here...the DHH....every once in a while one of the big rock stations here plays the obligatory Uncle John's or Truckin'.....

Our first stop will be at the Felt Forum in New York City, on 12/7/71, the final night of a four night stand at the basement theatre at Madison Square Garden. Plenty of great music was played at these four shows, with this little December tour featuring the return of Pigpen after he sat out the start of Keith
gotta love the 71 stuff. Kind of an underrated year in my opinion.

I agree. It's really a good year to introduce the uninitiated to the Dead - mostly song based, really a 'back to basics' approach for the most part. Chock full of Pig for the first half of the year too. I think Pig was really at the peak of his powers during the Spring tour.

There may be a lot of "sameness" to the songs and sets but that's no real reason to disparage the shows. And of course by the Fall things would change drastically - for the better - with the addition of Kieth.

I agree. It's really a good year to introduce the uninitiated to the Dead - mostly song based, really a 'back to basics' approach for the most part. Chock full of Pig for the first half of the year too. I think Pig was really at the peak of his powers during the Spring tour.

There may be a lot of "sameness" to the songs and sets but that's no real reason to disparage the shows. And of course by the Fall things would change drastically - for the better - with the addition of Kieth.

:thumbup

Felt Forum 12/7/71 was the first tape I ever got (a long, long time ago).

Same here. One of the first, at least. I got the tape sometime in '79 or '80. The NFA->GDTRFB->NFA is typically epic of this era. That entire Felt Forum run (12/4-12/7/71) is very good.

My only exposure to the Felt Forum run is an old bootleg LP that had the 12/5 show - the one where "Muddy Water" was played for the only time.

My only exposure to the Felt Forum run is an old bootleg LP that had the 12/5 show - the one where "Muddy Water" was played for the only time.

Another good one. I think the run was broadcat over the radio.

Jeeeez just finished listening to the 8-27-72 Playin' In The Band....that might be the best version ever of that song. 18 minutes of pure lysergic dripping intensity. Anyone think they will ever officially release the Sunshine Daydream movie of that show? I know it circulates in various forms but I'd like to see Norman get his hands on it and clean it up a bit.

Jeeeez just finished listening to the 8-27-72 Playin' In The Band....that might be the best version ever of that song. 18 minutes of pure lysergic dripping intensity. Anyone think they will ever officially release the Sunshine Daydream movie of that show? I know it circulates in various forms but I'd like to see Norman get his hands on it and clean it up a bit.

thats one of the best if not the best playing ever and thats saying something.

In that Relix article from a few years back - David talked about that. The version I got off of Dime a Dozen is pretty clear.

Not too long ago I was listening to the Bird Song from that show and I thought it was Dark Star.

:stunned that can happen while listening to that show....the whole damn thing is pretty trippy. Those guys were dosed to the gills and it's easily (my opinion) one of their 5 finest shows ever

I almost double posted what you just said. Anyway, you persuaded me to dig out my copy of this show just for the Playin'. I love watching the look on Jerry's face during the peak of that jam when he is obviously somewhere else.

I almost double posted what you just said. Anyway, you persuaded me to dig out my copy of this show just for the Playin'. I love watching the look on Jerry's face during the peak of that jam when he is obviously somewhere else.

somewhere say around...Neptune or Pluto or further.........serious Tiger Jam in that....Jeeez I woulda loved to have been at that gig...of course I was only 6 at the time.....

In that Relix article from a few years back - David talked about that. The version I got off of Dime a Dozen is pretty clear.

Yep. I appreciated the upgrade. :thumbup

That's a great show. I know folks get all excited (understandably) about the Dark Star but I actually dig the one from 8/24 Berkeley even more. Kieth gets into a Fender Rhodes sound in that one and it reminds me a lot of Bitches Brew-era Miles or even early Weather Report. A must hear for Dark Star lovers.

Yep. I appreciated the upgrade. :thumbup

That's a great show. I know folks get all excited (understandably) about the Dark Star but I actually dig the one from 8/24 Berkeley even more. Kieth gets into a Fender Rhodes sound in that one and it reminds me a lot of Bitches Brew-era Miles or even early Weather Report. A must hear for Dark Star lovers.

And who, really doesn't love Dark Star? ;)

WOuld anyone be able to send me a copy of Sunshine Daydream? I've seen it several times but for some reason can't burn it.

If you could help me out shoot a PM yonder.

The sight of that naked guy on the pole behind the stage always cracks me up.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=82695

The biggest differences on this new version is the addition of the excellent bertha sb audio replacing the soundtrack audio from the original video.it sounds amazing and overall the sound and video are in much better sync.included is some bonus alternate footage of a portion that was already on the original.it's also a 2 dvd version due to the lcpm audio as opposed to the more common but lossy ac3 audio that the first copy uses.i usually don't include all of the notes in the description, much to the dismay of some, but in this case i thought i should.so here it is :

Grateful Dead 8-27-1972

Old Renaissance Faire Grounds Veneta OR, USA

(Benefit for Springfield Creamery)

DVD 1

Creamery Skit (not included on previous version)

Prankster clips - Acid tests

Setting up - Playin in the Band (background music)

Water and the Heat

Promised Land

Crisis

China Cat Sunflower >>

I Know You Rider

...what ever happened to the truck that was going to spray the crowd

Jack Straw

DVD 2

Oregon Insanity (Please help us Jerry and Bob)

Dark Star >>

El Paso

...and no one was hurt

Endings - Greatest Story in the background

Different angle of China Cat Sunflower >> I Know You Rider (not included on previous version)

--------------------------------------------------------

Concert film by John Norris,

Sam Field, and Phil DeGuere

Loosely shot, this 100-minute film captures

an incredibly youthful Grateful Dead playing

outdoors at a creamery benefit in Veneta, Oregon.

The following text is from

http://www.sfherald.com/columnists/...apozzola08.html

"In sitting down to watch 'Sunshine Daydream,' one gets a sense of revisiting history. Because this was an era of unprecedented accessibility, the Canis Major crew were able to station their cameras squarely on the wings of the stage, mere feet from the band. The resulting footage allows the viewer to stand

almost shoulder-to-shoulder with a very young Bob Weir, age 25, strumming a cherry-red hollow-body guitar; a bushy-haired Phil Lesh, dressed more like a surfer than a bassist, and belting unexpected harmony vocals; a fuzzily bearded Garcia, age 30, smiling, not a gray hair in sight; and, a tough-looking Bill Kreutzman, sitting squatly on his drum stool, chewing gum and wearing a railroad conductor's cap. Where most Dead fans only witnessed these musicians

20 years later, and from the remote mezzanine deck of a Checkerdome-Enormodome-Superstadium, here suddenly is Garcia's boot tapping on a rusty

foot pedal, Phil Lesh leaping in front of Kreutzman during a jazzy drums and bass solo, and Bob Weir stepping timidly to the microphone after a long, haunting jam.

One can only speculate on just how psychedelically engaged Norris, Field, and DeGuere (along with third cameraman Lou Melson, and soundman

Charlie Barreca) were as they recordeded the day's proceedings. The concert itself was organized by Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters, which helped to ensure a day of genuine acid craziness. But shot with synchronized, handheld cameras, the Canis Major team succeeded in capturing both the blissful

playing of the musicians and the general ecstasy of the audience. The camera eye becomes almost a running commentary of the respective filmmakers'

interior monologues. A close-up of Garcia's leather boot stepping on a wah-wah pedal jumps suddenly to a Christ-like figure perched precariously on a wooden pole above the stage. The camera tracks the fellow as he dances rabidly above the music, then cuts to two women walking a child behind the stage. A dog

runs past them. Suddenly the music changes gears and the camera swings back to the stage, to blonde-haired Phil Lesh at the precise moment he strums a booming chord on his bass. And then the other camera takes over, offering Bob Weir baring his teeth and straining to sing a high note as he chops harsh chords

on his guitar. Weir falls backward as Garcia begins to solo and the camera suddenly jumps again to a topless girl dancing nearby in the tall grass.

Such chaotic filming succeeds precisely because of its extemporaneous nature. Almost accidentally, it captures the day's events in whirlwind fashion, fortuitously recording all the peripheral "noise" of the festival. In editing the film, DeGuere, Norris, and Field wisely provided some breathing room, interspersing performance clips with vintage moments of Kesey and the Pranksters. Additional background footage delivers candid shots of the festival's organizers as they try to cope with a water shortage amidst the day's 100-degree heat. The camera pans to crowds of men and women sharing plastic jugs of water. Overdubbed walkie-talkie chatter reveals the stage crew trying to bring in a fire truck to hose down the crowd.

In true Deadhead spirit, the film preserves an event that seem awfully remote in today's world of cable TV, Internet ticketing, and heavily policed gatherings. Early in the movie, an eager crew can be seen building a simple wooden stage. No cops, no security force trolling the grounds. No bags being searched,

no one ejected for cigarette smoking. What one witnesses as the movie gets underway is 30,000 folks raving about in a big, sunny meadow while the local band plays on a hastily erected platform. Two flinty piles of amplifiers broadcast loud rock 'n roll out to the countryside. Amidst such casual planning, it seems forgivable that the festival's organizers forgot to incorporate stage lights. Providentially, this lack of concert lighting works to stunning effect later in the film. As the sun sets, and a cool breeze settles on the day's revelry, Garcia can be faintly seen crooning the plaintive "Sing Me Back Home," a mere silhouette of dark hair and beard against the gathering dusk.

Such a pastoral scene, of dogs and babies and children eating ice cream, hearkens back to a bygone era. 'Sunshine Daydream' never lectures, though, never complains that such days have passed. But in its quick cuts to footage of the Merry Pranksters, and their 1964 bus slogan "A vote for Barry [Goldwater]

is a vote for fun," one sees the timeless political viability of street theater. And cutting back to the Dead in blazing performance, one is reminded that the most essential American liberty is freedom of expression."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Video

Unknown Standalone source > DVD Decrypter > Sony Vega 7.0 (original bitrate was 9600 with AC3 audio) rendered to 8400 bitrate to allow for audio upgrade.

Per Awolfeoutwest about the re-encoding "And, I have to say, even though I am a stickler when it comes to re-encoding MPEG2, that the Bertha audio in your version makes it the better version in my opinion. The added softness in the re-encoded video is not at all apparent, but the sound upgrade is striking and crucial. In a blind "taste" test, I would choose your resync in a heartbeat. Very nice!"

My own views are that the original AC3 audio was a bit over-recorded - when comparing side by side - the Bertha is much fuller, better stereo seperation and just sounds better at higher volumes.

Audio:

Bertha Remaster of the Braverman/Dank 16 track source. (shnid 21619)

SBD>>MR>>DAT>>SS>>CDA>>EAC>>SHN>>DAW(Bertha)>>CDA/SHN - Sound A

(Between songs from the two-track master reels)

Digitally remastered using a custom built, Dual-DAW, nicknamed Bertha, by jashley@deadacated.com on January 4, 2004.

Thanks to Peter Braverman for his fine work.

From the Braverman text file and prior to Bertha Remastering:

Source:

SBD>16 Track Master Reels>DAT@44.1K>DAT>DAT>WAV>SHN

DAT>WAV via Sony SDT-9000 DDS drive using VDAT 0.6f

WAV was edited in Soundforge 4.0 (crossfading of reel cuts between

songs, no music was disturbed except for Sugar Magnolia)

WAV>SHN via CDWAV 1.53>MKW 0.97b

Notes

-Video assets courtesy of Lone Star Dead.

-SBD audio courtesy of the Wheel

-Audio synchronization by Kevin Tobin using Adobe Audition to

compress/expand the audio in multitrack mode to match the original audio.

-Multiplexing via TMPGEnc MPEG Editor by Kevin Tobin.

-DVD authoring via DVD Architect 3 by Kevin Tobin.

-MD5 checksums files are now being placed in the disk folders to support multiplatform use. Please remove before burning VOB files to dvd disk.

- I did not add any extra footage like I did on my first update (namely the last 2 minutes of Playin' In The Band) - the original video is all I used.

AudioVideo Flaws:

1) For first 4 minutes 50.839 seconds of video used the video soundtrack as no matching soundtrack is available.

2) All vocalstalking during the Playin in the Band segment were mixed in from the video soundtrack.

3) Between Playin and Promised Land, video soundtrack was used as no matching audio from soundboard.

4) Between Promised Land and China Cat Sunflower, video soundtrack was used as no matching audio from soundboard.

5) Between I Know You Rider and Jack Straw, video soundtrack was used as no matching audio from soundboard.

6) Between Jack Straw and Dark Star, video soundtrack was used as no matching audio from soundboard.

7) Between El Paso and Greatest Story, video soundtrack was used as no matching audio from soundboard.

Video Attribute :

Video compression mode : MPEG-2

TV system : 525/60 (NTSC)

Aspect Ratio : 4:3

Display Mode : reserved

Source picture resolution : 720x480 (525/60)

Frame Rate : 29.97

Source picture letterboxed : Not letterboxed

Bitrate : Disk 1 8.400 Mbps

Disk 2 8.400 Mbps

Menu : Yes (song list on separate menu)

Audio Attribute :

Number of Audio channels : 2

Number of Audio streams : 1

Audio Coding mode: Linear PCM audio

Sampling Rate : 48kHz 1536Kbps

Brokedown House Productions