Where to start with The Grateful Dead?

Bobby Weir(d)....

Kinda hard to believe him using the phrase "revenue stream" in the article A Man posted. Gimme a break. Hey I'm all for these guys making a ton of dough but who does he think he's kidding with all the crap about digital music. In my experience I meet the same kinda folks swapping files as I did trading tape lists back in the early internet days.

Anyway on a different note...have just finished listening to disc 1 of the new road trips series. Not too bad at all. I have been on record many times stating my love for early period Dead, and while this is still the case I gotta say this stuff is very good. I admit to not having a lot of late 70's early 80's stuff so this is kind of a nice change. They have done a great job mastering all the tracks and it sounds really crisp. You might wanna consider getting it.

I liked the first sentence - "shoe box full of tapes". I don't know about you guys, but that would last about a week or two for me. My wife would love for me to get rid of the 'wall of sounds' here, but I'd rather cut off an arm or something. :lol

And DS, the Road Trips is in the mail - I can't wait! :dancing

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the first sentence - "shoe box full of tapes". I don't know about you guys, but that would last about a week or two for me. My wife would love for me to get rid of the 'wall of sounds' here, but I'd rather cut off an arm or something. :lol

And DS, the Road Trips is in the mail - I can't wait! :dancing

Too funny.....all my friends are like that to an extent. They can't imagine why I have so much live Dead. They are like why do you need more than one version of Darkstar? Then you have to get into the subtilties of say a 69 version of DS vs. a 72 version, etc, etc.

You'll really like the road trips. At first I was a bit dissapointed that it wasn't a complete show kinda thing but it works. If you read the little booklet that comes with it you will see that they don't just have a song from one show, then another from a different show. They piece together a couple of songs from the same show before going on to a different one. I like this as opposed to the way they did the Fallout From The Phil Zone, where they just pieced together songs from different sources. On road trips you get to hear the segues from one song to another, which in my opinion is one of the best things about the Dead-the way they stop and turn on a dime and go into something completely different. (For a great example of this check out the 4-24-72 show where they go from Darkstar into Me and My Uncle, back into Darkstar....it works, believe it or not.)

It ought to be interesting to see what comes out next. If the Dead are to believed there is supposed to be a bunch of vault stuff coming out. I need to get that job, picking out what comes outta the vault...would be a sweet gig having the keys to that.

jeeeeeez....finally finished importing all 36 vols. of Dick's Picks into the ipod....lotta cd's. Next up is all the other dead related stuff, vault releases, etc. Will start on the Garcia Band stuff after that.......

jeeeeeez....finally finished importing all 36 vols. of Dick's Picks into the ipod....lotta cd's. Next up is all the other dead related stuff, vault releases, etc. Will start on the Garcia Band stuff after that.......

Do you have all of the "Pure Jerry" series? I have all the GD stuff but I fell behind on the JGB - shame on me!

Do you have all of the "Pure Jerry" series? I have all the GD stuff but I fell behind on the JGB - shame on me!

Yeah except fot the Hampton Collesium show....

the pure jerry stuff is pretty good. Nice change you know going from GD to JGB I love his JGB stuff

the pure jerry stuff is pretty good. Nice change you know going from GD to JGB I love his JGB stuff

I've been aquiring a lot of Legion of Mary stuff and early 80s JGB. Always a big fan of that stuff. The shows were always an older crowd, too. Lots of bikers.

i hate to be that guy but

http://forums.

I've been aquiring a lot of Legion of Mary stuff and early 80s JGB. Always a big fan of that stuff. The shows were always an older crowd, too. Lots of bikers.

Oh yeah love the legion of mary stuff Really dig that song Neighbor, Neighbor. It got to the point in the late 80's I stopped going to see The Dead and just went to JGB shows. A bit more mellow crowd

Legion of Mary's version of "Wicked Messenger" is some of my favorite non-GD Jerry. Man he rips that tune up.

I got an email from Relix magazine today with this link to Sirius satellite radio. I don't have Sirius, but thought some of you might. The GD radio show has full live shows, of course, but of equal interest might be the programs hosted by remaining members, past interviews, contributions fron=m Gans and Lemieux, etc....:

http://www.sirius.com/gratefuldead

I don't have Sirius, but thought some of you might. The GD radio show has full live shows, of course, but of equal interest might be the programs hosted by remaining members, past interviews, contributions fron=m Gans and Lemieux, etc....:

Yeah, the GD channel on Sirius is pretty cool. I only have the satellite radio in the car, so I don't really get to listen for long periods of time (to hear whole shows, etc), but it has become my default channel to switch to when there are crap songs playing on other channels.

Though I was a bit miffed that, of all channels on Sirius to replace, the GD channel replaced the freeform Sirius Disorder channel, which was one of my favorites.

RE: Three From The Vault

I was just reading a Phil interview in The Grateful Dead Reader and apparently, the reason this show did not come out when it was originally suppose to was due to the fact that he voted against releasing it. The reason - he said it was a bad show.

Ahhh what does he know? That's kind of funny, there are several stories like this in Dead lore. In the Grateful Dead Movie Jerry tells of a time when they walked off stage and he ( Jerry) was thinking they played like hell and he pushed Phil down some stairs because Phil was saying something about what a great show they just played. Or something like that.

I dig the 71 stuff. There's not a whole lot of it out there.....

Ahhh what does he know? That's kind of funny, there are several stories like this in Dead lore. In the Grateful Dead Movie Jerry tells of a time when they walked off stage and he ( Jerry) was thinking they played like hell and he pushed Phil down some stairs because Phil was saying something about what a great show they just played. Or something like that.

I think that was 2/14/68. They ended up using parts of it for "Anthem", it was so good! :lol

I think that was 2/14/68. They ended up using parts of it for "Anthem", it was so good! :lol

I think you are correct sir, I seem to remember hearing that. Speaking of Anthem, I just recently listened to that the other day for the first time in a few years. I really love that album and forget how good it is. You can just see the acid dripping of that music.

Well better late than never! Road Trips finally arrived in the mail just now! :dancing

Well better late than never! Road Trips finally arrived in the mail just now! :dancing

Enjoy!!!! It's pretty good stuff. I'm getting pissed at their store though...I ordered some stuff last week and they only just today shipped it out. Wonder why it takes a week to pull an order and ship it. They frigging charged my credit card right away.

I'm not a big Donna fan but I think she does add to the mix at points. She wasn't all detraction, imo. '77 is hyped, I'd imagine, because it was the year that a lot of those Betty boards became available before the advent or commercial use of cds. Having sbd analogs of a bunch of the '77 shows in the early 80's and beyond was awesome. There simply wasn't a lot of sbd material available and it was even rarer to get earlier sbd material at the time.

And of course the personal preference shines. I personally really like the arrangements of a lot of the tunes during this period. I like the slowed down versions of the Row Jimmys, etc. I also think the band was in relatively high spirits, and you can hear the fun factor come through the music. I still really like this era. As per "the best" era, it varies daily/weekly/whatever for me.

Summer '85 and fall '85 both had some memorable and well-played shows (Riverbend, Stralight, Saratoga, Merriweather, etc. and the Richmond shows were top notch in the Fall, as well as the excellent "Werewolves" Halloween show in S.C.) but I also remember it as being kind of the beginning of the end in terms of mass throngs, heavy narc/undercover presence, lots of drug busts, Garcia was very obese and looked pretty bad, etc. I think this was when Garcia started sporting a red shirt for a bit ("trouble ahead, Jerry in red" and all that).

The music shined at points but I remember the scene at the shows as changing that summer. That summer saw a greater shift to mass appeal and some of the nastiness that goes along with that. The jig was up, to an extent. At least from my perspective.

Starlight 85 is one of my favorite shows! I wish I had it on cd b/c my tape has been played several hundred times!!