Where to start with The Grateful Dead?

NP: Fillmore East 9/20/70 (acoustic set). I can't recommend this gem enough, really one of the nicest acoustic sets around...bluegrass-style Big Railroad Blues, a very early Truckin', To Lay Me Down. Nelson sits in on mandolin.

Thanks to waggs for this. :thumbup

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just came across an ad for this in an issue of Uncut. Evidently it was released in September. Here's a review:

"A Night at the Family Dog"

http://www.jambands.com/DVDReviews/content..._09_04.02.phtml

Jumping back a bit to 1972, here are two songs from the 4/7/72 show at Wembley Empire Pool (subsequently Wembley Arena) in London, Chinatown Shuffle and a rocking Me and My Uncle. Bobby wasn
Happy 60th Bob Weir!!

I remember on this date in 1988 at a show in FLA I signed an enormous birthday card for Bob out in the parking lot. I don't remember if it made it into the show or not, but there you go.

I think I told him to dabble his fingertips in bleach for no apparent reason.

I remember on this date in 1988 at a show in FLA I signed an enormous birthday card for Bob out in the parking lot. I don't remember if it made it into the show or not, but there you go.

I think I told him to dabble his fingertips in bleach for no apparent reason.

hmmmm

Happy Birfday to His Weirdness! :cheers

Nightfall of Diamonds - the Oct. 16, 1989 show is a great official release. The band is enjoying their last great period and had only a week before broke out Dark Star (which also appears on this show).

Hey there. I have heard so much about the Grateful Dead. So I looked up their albums. But theres a lot of albums! What would the 3 to 5 best albums be to introduce a newbie to them? Any input would be much appreciated.

wow, one of my favorite topics...

i grew up in the Brent Mydland era and only saw one show post-Brent.

forget albums and graduate straight to The Kind as this was the quintissential live act.

IMO, these are the finest SBDs out there (from the 80s).

3-9-81 Madison Square Garden, NY/NY

http://www.archive.org/details/gd81-03-09....4953.sbeok.shnf

and here's the downloadable AUD source, one of the best AUD tapes EVER!!!

http://www.archive.org/details/gd81-03-09....7473.sbeok.shnf

8-6-82 St. Paul, MN

(best LL/supplication ever)

http://www.archive.org/details/gd82-08-06....5028.sbeok.shnf

7-13-84 Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA

http://www.archive.org/details/gd84-07-13.....353.sbeok.shnf

7-15-84 Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA

http://www.archive.org/details/gd84-07-15....641.sbeok.flacf

10-29-85 Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA

http://www.archive.org/details/gd85-10-29....1533.sbeok.shnf

Last night at the San Francisco Design Center Galleria, the Rainforest Action Network hosted its annual REVEL event. The non-profit also used the occasion to celebrate the 60th birthday of longtime RAN supporter Bob Weir. After a local, organic three-course dinner, Tea Leaf Green stepped up for a set that included pairings of "One Reason" with "Incandescent Devil" as well as "Franz Hanzerbeak" with "If It Wasn't For the Money." After this, the birthday boy himself (technically, he turned 60 on Tuesday) took the stage for "The Garden (Part II)." Then, Weir's longtime Grateful Dead Bandmate Billy Kreutzmann joined in for "All Along the Watchtower," "Don't Do It" and "The Other One." Sean Lennon then stepped up for a version of The Beatles "I've Got a Feeling." Lennon remained for a brief RatDog set which included versions of Sean Lennon's "Headlight" as well as "Eyes of the World" and "West L.A. Fadeaway" with Harper Simon, son of Paul Simon, on guitar and vocals (and on the topic of fathers and sons, Tea Leaf Green certainly fostered a connection to Kreutzmann when his son Justin directed the band's Rock 'N' Roll Band DVD). The night concluded with a take on "Not Fade Away" that also featured Bill Kreutzmann along with Tea Leaf Green's Trevor Garrod and Josh Clark.
Amongst the mishmash of unlabeled 1966 material in the vault, there was a short snippet of music at the end of the reel labeled 2/6/66, so perhaps this version of Tastebud is from that show, but not for certain. Regardless, it is one of the tightest blues jams of that era, the entire band in perfect sync. Also from that reel is Mindbender, one of the odder of the older oddities.

February 5- February 11, 2007

2/6/66--> five days after I was born

I love the sound of Jerry's guitar from this time period.

I caught DSO last night for the first time in awhile. They did their own selections of tunes/no select show. They had a screen behind them that was enormous. It must've been 50 ft. wide by 30 ft. tall. All sorts of cool imagery during tunes. Quite the production. They sounded pretty decent, too. Sweet "Visions," excellent "Easy To Slip" (this was unexpected and easily one of my all-time favorite tunes) and a very nice "Stephen" to note.

I caught DSO last night for the first time in awhile. They did their own selections of tunes/no select show. They had a screen behind them that was enormous. It must've been 50 ft. wide by 30 ft. tall. All sorts of cool imagery during tunes. Quite the production. They sounded pretty decent, too. Sweet "Visions," excellent "Easy To Slip" (this was unexpected and easily one of my all-time favorite tunes) and a very nice "Stephen" to note.

as you were doing that Phil was rocking Glen Falls with Trey A.

almost every song with jail refernces!

Phil Lesh and Friends

October 20, 2007

Glen Falls Civic Center

Glen Falls, NY

Set 1:

Alabama Getaway

Pride of Cucamonga

Friend of The Devil ->

Deep Elem

Deal

Bird Song ->

Bertha

Set 2:

Shine*

Viola Lee Blues ->

Cumberland Blues ->

Viola Lee Blues ->

Cumberland Blues ->

Viola Lee Blues

Plasma

Unbroken Chain

Darkstar ->

Wharf Rat ->

Dark Star ->

Help On The Way ->

Slipknot! ->

Franklins tower

crowd

Donor Rap/band intros

E: Box of Rain

as you were doing that Phil was rocking Glen Falls with Trey A.

Phil Lesh and Friends

October 20, 2007

Glen Falls Civic Center

Glen Falls, NY

Set 1:

Alabama Getaway

Pride of Cucamonga

Friend of The Devil ->

Deep Elem

Deal

Bird Song ->

Bertha

Set 2:

Shine*

Viola Lee Blues ->

Cumberland Blues ->

Viola Lee Blues ->

Cumberland Blues ->

Viola Lee Blues

Plasma

Unbroken Chain

Darkstar ->

Wharf Rat ->

Dark Star ->

Help On The Way ->

Slipknot! ->

Franklins tower

crowd

Donor Rap/band intros

E: Box of Rain

Alabama Getaway -check- "Heard your plea in the courthouse"

Friend of The Devil -> -check- "if he catches up with me I'll spend my life in jail"

Deep Elem -check- "have your $ ready when the policeman comes"

Bertha -check- "Throw me in the jail house.. Lord, until the sun go down"

Set 2:

Viola Lee Blues -> -check- "If you miss jail sentence, you'll be Nashville bound"

Wharf Rat -> -check- "Spent doing time for some other fucker's crime"

Help On The Way -> -check- "I will pay, day by day Anyway, lock, bolt and key"