Where to start with The Grateful Dead?

Thanks for that. :thumbup I don't recall that article (I didn't 'get it' until '81) but I used to read that magazine a lot at that time.

EDIT: Well there ya go. 2007. I thought it said 1977. Doh! I like the description "the grandfathers of the whole indie scene". I've been known to rave on that idea from time to time.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The author seemed to toy with the theme that the Dead weren't really hippies, but then dropped it (or, more likely, forgot about it). That's always fascinated me: that a San Francisco scene band, so totally associated with hippiedom, and followed around by many hippies, should be so un-hippielike. I think it might have been Mountain Girl who mentioned (in the Jerry bio) that the boys in the band were really more like a bunch of shit-talking pirates than hippies. They were very apolitical, and not really all that into the whole peace/love thing. In fact, I think Jerry threw Phil down a flight of stairs or some crazy thing after a show! (Another story in the Jerry bio I don't remember completely).

And they really were indie before there was such a thing. They even went for a while without a major label, going for a DIY ethos which didn't work out at all, thanks to a very undisciplined approach to management. What a long strange trip it must have been for them.

Just a heads up here. Today marks the day when the GD played their first show in Indianapolis (10/27/73, State Fairgrounds Coliseum). A dear old friend of mine saw this one - his first show.

Situated between the Oklahoma City show (Dick's #19) and the amazing St. Louis shows it falls off of the radar for the most part but it has many killer versions of tunes. The Loose Lucy in particular is my all-time favorite - very slow and downright nasty.

For my money, the Fall '73 Tour (all the way through December actually) is the Dead at their very finest. :thumbup

as you were doing that Phil was rocking Glen Falls with Trey A.

almost every song with jail refernces!

Phil Lesh and Friends

October 20, 2007

Glen Falls Civic Center

Glen Falls, NY

Set 1:

Alabama Getaway

Pride of Cucamonga

Friend of The Devil ->

Deep Elem

Deal

Bird Song ->

Bertha

Set 2:

Shine*

Viola Lee Blues ->

Cumberland Blues ->

Viola Lee Blues ->

Cumberland Blues ->

Viola Lee Blues

Plasma

Unbroken Chain

Darkstar ->

Wharf Rat ->

Dark Star ->

Help On The Way ->

Slipknot! ->

Franklins tower

crowd

Donor Rap/band intros

E: Box of Rain

About a week late, but here's a nice article on the show (you all have probably read this already but wtf):

http://jambase.com/Articles/Story.aspx?StoryID=11838

From a '95 newscast - a lot of the usual BS but some wisdom sprinkled in there as well. Be prepared to be sad.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=acSY30S0hOU

Just saw on the Dead's web site that they have a new archival series starting out. Called "Road Trips". Instead of complete shows or portions therof they are putting out compilations from specific tours. The first volume is from the fall 1979 tour. Not my favorite year but the track lists look pretty good. I would rather they have complete shows but this might be a cool thing.

Here's a link

linky

Just saw on the Dead's web site that they have a new archival series starting out. Called "Road Trips". Instead of complete shows or portions therof they are putting out compilations from specific tours. The first volume is from the fall 1979 tour. Not my favorite year but the track lists look pretty good. I would rather they have complete shows but this might be a cool thing.

Here's a link

linky

Thanks Darkstar! :cheers

I agree that I'd rather have full shows but Fall '79 (esp. December) was really a good run.

This must be one of the reasons they killed SBD downloads at archives.org. I am glad I got the shows I wanted before that happened.

I was able to get a bunch (about 30-40) off of archives but would have gotten a lot more, of course, had I known. I guess they're not killing the idea of putting out whole-show releases, but still, it's at the whim of the organization/corporation.

Well thankfully there's still a lot of kind folks out there with literally thousands of hours that don't mind doing old-school trades/b&p's etc.

With over 3000 shows during their career I think it's a wonderful thing that I'll probably be chasing down GD shows for the rest of my life...gives me something to do, ya know. :stunned

Three nights into Phil's New York Marathon. and there have been what looks like two amazing sets. Take a look at these on paper. Can't wait for recordings to surface.

10/31/07

Set One

Shakedown>

Loose Lucy

Don't Let The Devil Take Your Mind

I Put A Spell ON YOu (first time plated)

Jam>

Story of The Ghost>

Casey Jones

Set Two

Space Jam (phil reads the Pit and The Pendelum by Edagr Allen Poe)>

Cryptical Envelopment>

Boris The Spider (first time)>

Caution>

Vood Chile (frist time)>

The OTher One>

Cryptical Envelopment>

New Speedway>

Fire on The Mountain>

Sympathy For The Devil (First time)>

I Know You Rider

Encore:

Werewolves Of London

11/2/07

Set One:

Jam>

Birdsong>

About Cell Block #9

Dire Wolf

Midnight Rider

passenger

Set Two (Acoustic)

Friend Of THe Devil,

Cry Yourself Dry,

Big Mon

Dead Flowers (first time)

Mamma Tried

Set 3 With Ryan Adams

Wharf Rat>

Franklins Tower>

Stella Blue>

Scarlet Begonias Tease>

Fire On THe Mountain>

Dark Star (V1)>

Eclipse (first time played with Amy Helm and Terresa Williams)>

Terripin Station>

Sugar Mags>

Sunshine Day Dream

Encore:

Feedback>

DarkStar (V2)>

Box of rain

man i wish i was back east right now.

Thanks Darkstar! :cheers

I agree that I'd rather have full shows but Fall '79 (esp. December) was really a good run.

Yeah whole shows are the way to go. Hell, I'm sure I'll grab up every one of these though. I like the concept of them releasing some more obscure tour runs however. I mean shit you can never get enough of the fall 72 stuff but there is a lot of good good stuff out there that hasn't really seen the light of day. I'd love to hear some of the Northwest 1968 gigs (other than the King's Bowl on DP). Also more 1971 stuff

Wow, some crazy shit played at the Phil shows. Nice that RA sat in. I was thinking Weir might sit in as he was in the area, too. I wasn't holding my breath on that one, though.

Boris the Spider, Dead Flowers, etc.

Nice.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd93-02-23....1611.sbeok.shnf

HOT DAM!

I just started this one up from drums and dear god. One of the best drum segments I've ever herd. The Space with Orentte Coleman is just amazing. THe other one is even morei impressive. I don't really listen to Vince-era stuff so thats probably why i never knew about Orentte Coleman ever sitting in. This is some of the best dead I've herd.

I love that you listen to hour after hour and there is always a gem you weren't aware of.

HOT DAM!

I just started this one up from drums and dear god. One of the best drum segments I've ever herd. The Space with Orentte Coleman is just amazing. THe other one is even morei impressive. I don't really listen to Vince-era stuff so thats probably why i never knew about Orentte Coleman ever sitting in. This is some of the best dead I've herd.

I love that you listen to hour after hour and there is always a gem you weren't aware of.

holy shit! Ornette! I gotta listen to this one. thanks. :cheers

Some critics have suggested Coleman's frequent use of the vaguely-defined term harmolodics is a musical MacGuffin: a red herring of sorts designed to occupy critics over-focused on Coleman's sometimes unorthodox compositional style. Jerry Garcia played guitar on three tracks from Coleman's Virgin Beauty (1988) - "Three Wishes," "Singing In The Shower," and "Desert Players." Twice in 1993, Coleman joined the Grateful Dead on stage playing the band's "The Other One," "Wharf Rat," "Stella Blue," and covering Bobby Bland's "Turn On Your Lovelight," among others. Another unexpected association was with guitarist Pat Metheny, with whom Coleman recorded Song X (1985); though released under Metheny's name, Coleman was essentially co-leader (contributing all the compositions).

also -

Throughout the early 1990s, Branford Marsalis had a series of guest appearances with the Grateful Dead, which are among the most popular performances in that band's history.

HOT DAM!

Yeah! I wore the cassettes of this show out. I'm not really crazy about the '92-'95 stuff either but that's a REAL good one.

The 9/22/93 with David Murray (of WSQ fame) is very worthy too if you've never heard it.

The Ornette Coleman stuff is great (Garcia was a huge fan of his, too) as well as MB's mention of the David Murray show above.

There is some great stuff, as mentioned by A-man, that Branford Marsalis did with the band, as well. Notably the 3-29-90 Nassau show (the "Eyes" is on Without a Net) in which he sat in the entire second set (as well as on "Bird Song" in the first set). The "Dark Star," "Wheel," "Lovelight," and that "Eyes" of particular note.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd90-03-29....1317.sbeok.shnf

Also, I've always quite enjoyed the 1990 New Years with Branford sitting in on a few of the first set enders and the entire second set, again. I've got a cassette version of this show, as well, that includes Branford's set that opened the show that is really worth a listen. Fantastic stuff.

http://stash.nugs.net/attics/901231_mp3.as...2&cmd=shows

Finally, if you've never heard shows with Clarence Clemons sitting in (a handful of shows in '89) it's worth checking out. Clemons with JGB was a very nice touch around this time, too. I caught a bunch of those shows and The Big Man really added some oomph to the shows

1974 Eyes of The World - Billy swings

:dancing Eyes is sort an exception to most of the Dead catalogue in that it was a powerhouse right from the very beginning and never got any better than those '73-'74 versions. After Mickey rejoined and especially after they sped the tempo up it was never as good imo.

The version from 6/10/73 is probably my favorite.